What's new

Which Classic Westerns would you like to see Remastered to Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I still have no idea how one director did;

Counselor at Law
The Westerner
The Little Foxes
Roman Holiday
Ben Hur
Funny Girl

Can we get a 4k of Bite the Bullet which looked so great on the screen at Radio City?

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Last Year the Criterion Channel had an UNCUT ( with previously censored footage of Julie Newmar jumping into water nude) version. I have the dvd one is wide and one is flat and they are different from what Criterion ran. It looked fantastic and I had hoped this was a hint that this transfer would be coming from someone like Indictor or at the time, Twilight Time, but have heard nothing. Anyone hear anything about this?

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Too many to list. I love this genre. But if I had to compile a Top 20 this would probably be it
(arranged chronologically)
NEAR THE RAINBOW'S END(1930) Bob Steele
WILD HORSE MESA(1932) Randolph Scott
THE COWBOY STAR(1936) Charles Starrett
THE MARSHAL OF MESA CITY(1939) George O'Brien
APACHE TRAIL(1942) William Lundigan
BELLS OF ROSARITA(1945) Roy Rogers
NORTHWEST TRAIL(1945) Bob Steele
SAN ANTONIO(1945) Errol Flynn
ALBUQUERQUE(1948) Randolph Scott
BLACK BART(1948) Dan Duryea
I SHOT JESSE JAMES(1949) John Ireland
FORT DEFIANCE(1951) Ben Johnson
SUGARFOOT(1951) Randolph Scott
WESTWARD THE WOMEN(1951) Robert Taylor
APACHE WAR SMOKE(1952) Robert Horton
HIAWATHA(1952) Vince Edwards
THE BATTLE OF ROGUE RIVER(1954) George Montgomery
DAKOTA INCIDENT(`1956) Dale Robertson
THE WILD AND THE INNOCENT(1959) Audie Murphy
APACHE UPRISING(1965) Rory Calhoun
MOLLY AND LAWLESS JOHN(1972) Vera Miles, Sam Elliott

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last Year the Criterion Channel had an UNCUT ( with previously censored footage of Julie Newmar jumping into water nude) version. I have the dvd one is wide and one is flat and they are different from what Criterion ran. It looked fantastic and I had hoped this was a hint that this transfer would be coming from someone like Indictor or at the time, Twilight Time, but have heard nothing. Anyone hear anything about this?
Film title would help...

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
There must be thousands of westerns, & westerns are the films I get the biggest kick out of owning. A few wanted titles off the top of my head:

The Phantom Empire (1935) serial
Zorro's Fighting Legion (1938) serial
They Died With Their Boots On (1941)
3 Godfathers (1948)
The Big Sky (1952)
MacKenna's Gold (1969) - Come on Sony!*
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973) - Surely it must happen. Surely.

*I have the French release, but it's an old transfer with unremovable subs. Sony seems to have been a bit quiet on catalogue releases lately. Twilight Time used to release a lot of new Sony transfers, but now they're gone, no other company seems to release them. I do hope that Sony are still doing great work on their back catalogue.

Mill Creek is releasing a dozen Randolph Scott westerns from Sony/Columbia on Blu-ray next month. The Desperadoes; The Nevadan; Santa Fe; Man in the Saddle; Hangman's Knot; The Stranger Wore A Gun; A Lawless Street; The Tall T; Decision At Sundown; Buchanan Rides Along; Ride Lonesome; Comanche Station

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Now that Kino is on the 4K bandwagon (we already have The Good, The Bad, The Ugly...which I still think needs more time in the "oven," and we're getting the other two "Dollars" westerns next year), I would love to see 4K editions of Once Upon a Time in the West, Silverado, Duck You Sucker! (aka A Fistful of Dynamite), The Wild Bunch and while we're at it - where the hell is Nevada Smith, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, and Winchester '73!?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Now that Kino is on the 4K bandwagon (we already have The Good, The Bad, The Ugly...which I still think needs more time in the "oven," and we're getting the other two "Dollars" westerns next year), I would love to see 4K editions of Once Upon a Time in the West, Silverado, Duck You Sucker! (aka A Fistful of Dynamite), The Wild Bunch and while we're at it - where the hell is Nevada Smith, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, and Winchester '73!?
As Paramount is once again showing interest in Blu-ray discs, there's a good chance that Nevada Smith will be released in high definition.

The Western most in need of a second high definition transfer is Rio Bravo. The current Blu-ray disc is a disgrace. I wish I'd kept my DVD!

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Re MACKENNA'S GOLD. Not 3D but Cinerama
From Wikipedia.
"In January 1967 it was announced the film would be shot in Cinerama. Columbia provided the finance and J. Lee Thompson would direct.[8] "I've always wanted to do an American Western", said Thompson. "We're taking a big new approach to this one, striving for an over-all presentation, rightly or wrongly, that will appear new – techniques that may now be acceptable when applied to the big screen."[1]

The plan was to shown it in single lens Cinerama with reserved seat roadshow engagements. Columbia eventually pulled the plug on that idea, and Mackenna's Gold was drastically cut down immediately prior to its release, from nearly three hours (plus an intermission) to just over two hours.[13]

Although most of Mackenna's Gold was photographed on 65mm stock, a handful of scenes were filmed in 35mm anamorphic."

denys t.

Auditioning
Real Name
denys thériault
Let's go first with the non blu-ray's best remaining:

3 by A. Mann: TIN STAR, WINCHESTER 73 and DEVIL'S DOORWAY
3 by D. Daves: LAST WAGON, BADLANDERS and DRUM BEAT
J.Ford's CHEYENNE AUTUMN, Hathaway's NEVADA SMITH, Boetticher's SEVEN MEN FROM NOW and maybe as a guilty pleasure, Douglas' GOLD OF THE SEVEN SAINTS and J. Sturges' HALLELUJAH TRAIL

and yes, RIO BRAVO needs a new life

Samourai_

Auditioning
Real Name
Aldo
The Westerner (1940)
3 Godfathers (1948)
Winchester ’73 (1950)
Stars in My Crown (1950)
Westward the Women (1951)
Ride Clear of Diablo (1954)
The Violent Men (1955)
Seven Men From Now (1956)
The Fastest Gun Alive (1956)
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (1973)
The Shootist (1976)

On 4K:

High Noon (1952)
Shane (1953)
The Searchers (1956)
Rio Bravo (1959)
Once Upon a Time In the West (1968)
The Wild Bunch (1969)

Last edited:

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
The Westerner (1940)
3 Godfathers (1948)
Winchester' 73 (1950)
Ten Wanted men (1955)
Riding Shotgun (1954)
Thunder Over The Plains (1953)
The Bounty Hunter (1954)
7 Men from Now (1956)
The Lone Ranger (1956)
Rio Bravo (1959)-A New Remaster
The Alamo (1960)
Cheyenne Autumn (1964)
Nevada Smith (1966)
The Shootist (1976)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Re MACKENNA'S GOLD. Not 3D but Cinerama
From Wikipedia.
"In January 1967 it was announced the film would be shot in Cinerama. Columbia provided the finance and J. Lee Thompson would direct.[8] "I've always wanted to do an American Western", said Thompson. "We're taking a big new approach to this one, striving for an over-all presentation, rightly or wrongly, that will appear new – techniques that may now be acceptable when applied to the big screen."[1]

The plan was to shown it in single lens Cinerama with reserved seat roadshow engagements. Columbia eventually pulled the plug on that idea, and Mackenna's Gold was drastically cut down immediately prior to its release, from nearly three hours (plus an intermission) to just over two hours.[13]

Although most of Mackenna's Gold was photographed on 65mm stock, a handful of scenes were filmed in 35mm anamorphic."

March 1967
mg072367.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Euro BR has the missing swim footage

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I still have no idea how one director did;

Counselor at Law
The Westerner
The Little Foxes
Roman Holiday
Ben Hur
Funny Girl

Can we get a 4k of Bite the Bullet which looked so great on the screen at Radio City?
Also another one I'd like to see is Water hole #3!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I was going through my westerns the other day, and looked at what was given the upgrades and which titles are only on DVD. Over time I have replaced the DVD versions for the upgraded BR discs. With major titles like High Noon, Once Upon a time in the West and others, there are some westerns that just haven't gotten the love yet. I was just wondering if there are others out there that are asking the same questions that I am?
3 titles in my collection that I'd love to see given some love are:
The Iron Mistress (1952) Allen Ladd, Virginia Mayo - suedo-history adaption of the Jim Bowie adventures. (Warner Bros)

The Mississippi Gambler (1953) Tyrone Power - A fun movie, Power a bit past his Zorro prime, but still has enough "power" to pull it off. Nice inner action and storyline. (Universal)

McKenna's Gold (1968) Gregory Peck and an allstar cast in this almost John Ford-esque epic western. It was truly made for the wide screen, with several "3D effect" scenes.
There is a French BR release and it not bad, but you'd think that Sony would step up and do a better job with their own property?

Anyway, what titles are on your wishlist in the Westerns catagoy?
I know that there are so many missing titles, but another on my "Gotta Have" list is unique to the genre, in combining BOTH Samurai & Western senerios, Red Sun. A blockbuster cast with Charles Bronson, Ursala Andress, Alain Delon and the mighty Tishiro Mifune. I got a Japanese Bluray that is the best BR out, but I'd love to see Studio Canal set up and deliver to US fans!!! Maybe even a 4K remastering, fingers crossed!!!

Attachments

• red-sun-alkjdf-ljkads-poster.jpg
    red-sun-alkjdf-ljkads-poster.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image-w1280.jpg
    image-w1280.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 20
  • charles-bronson-red-sun-soleil-rouge-1971-BP8CJM.jpg
    charles-bronson-red-sun-soleil-rouge-1971-BP8CJM.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 28
  • soleil-rouge-1971-red-sun-alt-ursula-andress-charles-bronson-toshiro-BKJWP5.jpg
    soleil-rouge-1971-red-sun-alt-ursula-andress-charles-bronson-toshiro-BKJWP5.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks