What's new

Where to buy the Denon 5800??? (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Ah, if only I had known... I might have went from the HK to Denon....
blush.gif

------------------
Best, Sam

TomH

Second Unit
The dealer list on Denon's web site is a joke. Very few authorized dealers are even on it. If that is supposed to be the definitive dealer list then it appears that only about 1% of people selling Denon are authorized.
As for the authorized dealer/warranty issue, check with your local or state consumer protection office.
Tom

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
Update: I got my 5800, but there is NO DPL II. It seems there was an honest mistake - the Denon marketing person who told the dealer there would be DPL II was misinformed. However, there IS a planned upgrade which will include DPL II, among other things. I don't know exactly what it will include, but it should be available sometime early next year.
In the meantime, though, I am still enjoying the 5800!!

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Grant,
Sorry to hear that you got misled, but that seems to be a common occurance when it comes to my dealings with Denon. Oh well... as for the upgrade, the rumored inclusions are:
1) DPL II
2) Better bass management (adjustable crossovers; not sure if this is on a per speaker or overall basis)
3) On-screen display of volume setting
4) Upgraded code for the RS-232 port so that it better supports Panja, Crestron and other 3rd party controllers (no mention if end users will be able to use it without a third party controller)
5) DTS 96/24 - this one is the only one which may require a DSP board replacement (the current SHARC DSP processors apparently aren't fast enough to decode this algorithm)
6) Firewire/IEEE-1394 port - not very likely at this time due to no manufacturers agreement on a standard which will protect their interests (i.e. anti-piracy of media).
Personally I don't intend to take Denon up on the upgrade. Maybe if a software only version comes out that is inexpensive (like the Onkyo/Integra upgrade). Of course I don't expect all features to implemented in software only. I figure the DPL II, on-screen display of volume and the upgraded RS-232 code should be relatively easy to do. Even if they offer both upgrade paths, I have bought my last Denon product. Their poor customer service has left a sour taste in my mouth, but I'll continue to use and enjoy my 5800 until I can afford to replace it.
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks