What's new

Cant get HD picture from my Runco (1 Viewer)

FrankAnthony

Auditioning
I bought a house where the seller included an HD surround system. It consists of a Runco PL-50c with a Denon 5800 AVR and an RCA DTC-100 for (Directv) HD signal. Since I did not buy it direct, the dealer will not help. Directv installers have been helpless:

I can not get the Runco to produce an HD picture. The Runco inexplicably did not include a controller though I am told it is not required to produce an HD picture.

I cant figure out how to make the right connection among the three components to produce an HD picture. I can get a picture via an S-video cable running into the Denon and then on to the Runco. But no HD.

I would very much appreciate some guidance on how to make the proper connections to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
HD is possible only via a component or DVI/HDMI connections S-video is never going to produce an HD picture of any kind.Your TV must have one of the above mentioned inputs to get an HD picture.:frowning:

FrankAnthony

Auditioning
I do know that S-video will not produce the HD pic but I mentioned it cause I wanted to note that a video signal thru the AVR and then to the runco does produce a picture. So the runco works.

There is a 15 pin "out" from the RCA box which I understands will produce the HD pic. I made that connection from the RCA directly to the runco but still no HD pic.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Wow Frank, you have a helluva TV there. The list price on that thing is about 26 grand!!! Here is what I found out about this TV:

"The 50c measures 48" wide x 4" deep x 29" high and weighs in at only 97 pounds. It can be table-top or wall mounted. The Runco connects with 2 sets of RGB/Component inputs, 1 S-Video input, 1 set of Composite jacks and 1 set of RCA audio jacks. What's more, it also has an RS-232C connector for full function programmable remote controls."

Apparently you are mistaking the RS-232C for a video connection on the TV which it is not. Now the RCA has a VGA output, but your TV does not have a VGA input. You may be hooking the VGA output on the RCA to the RS-232C connector on the TV and that is a definate NO-NO and will NOT produce a picture of any kind.

This is what I found out about the RCA satellite receiver you have:

"RF, Composite, S-Video and 15-pin VGA video outputs are supplied, along with RCA-type connections for analog audio in addition to an optical (Toslink) discrete digital audio output (however, no COAX digital audio connection is included)."

It looks like the satellite receiver only outputs HD via the VGA port which your TV doesn't have. One has to wonder if the previous owner actually had an HD picture at all. It looks like the only options open to you are the RF, Composite, and S-Video connections, none of which will produce an HD picture. I am not sure if there is a VGA to RGB/Component adapter available that might work. Someone else might though, c'mon guys let him know if such a device exists, it would be a shame to let such a wonderful TV exist without an HD picture.
:frowning:

FrankAnthony

Auditioning
Thank you for the help, Chuck. Ya know, I have been wondering whether the prior owner ever had an HD picture. He said he paid $29K yet he did not get the controller, which is a part of the package. He was def. someone that spent the money without a clue.

Anyway, the runco OM says that there is a 15 pin analog RGB/component input. That is where I connected the RCA directly into the runco.

There is also a 5 slot analog RGB/Component input "which uses BNC connectors and would normally be connected to the controller". This input can also be connected to DTV decoders or other high resolution sources." Since I dont have the controller, I wonder if this is where the connection should be made from the RCA.

I have seen a cable that has a 15 pin on one end and BNC on the other. Maybe this is the solution although the controller has a 15 pin "pass thru for HDTV that does not require processing". That would suggest that the prior 15 pin connection I mentioned above would do what is necessary.

It is a frustrating mystery. :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Given the subject matter, it's best to continue the discussion here in Display Devices. A Runco projector of that caliber is hardly beginner-level stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks