1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy the Denon 5800???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GrantM, Sep 6, 2001.

1. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

I've pretty much decided on getting a 5800, but having a dilemma about where to buy it. I'd like to get it from an authorized dealer so that the warranty will be valid, but the only B&M that I know around here that carries it is Hi-Fi Buys. And the best they can do is $3600+tax. However, I can get it online for $2489+shipping from ecost.com (and maybe less from somewhere else).
    So the question for you is: is getting this beast from an authorized dealer worth more than $1000 extra?
    Also, if I do buy from an un-authorized dealer, will I still be able to get the upcoming upgrades installed?

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

You can get it from www.customaudioandvideo.com
    They are a B&M in LA. I bought one there for an install I did. THey are great to deal with. And they are authorized dealers. Talk to Wally III.
    I paid a little more than the ecost price you posted but it was still far less than list. Tell them I referred you if you would as I may use them again soon.

3. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

I saw one on the AVS Forums Classified. Being sold by one of the moderators over there. The asking price was attractive.. something around $1750.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

4. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

Brian, I called but Wally was at a convention. Won't be back till tomorrow at the earliest. In the meantime I thought I would check out Denon's listing of authorized dealers. And that place wasn't listed under LA. Pardon my asking, but are you sure that they are authorized dealers?

5. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Shakes head rapidly.
    UH HELLO. This is a LUMBER company. There is no way in HELL they are an authorized Denon dealer. A call to Denon basically confirmed this. When I called Poole Lumber, I thought I had the wrong number, but a quick scan of their web site let me know that I was in fact calling the right lumber company/audiophilia store. The receptionist although she had no idea, did sound hot [​IMG] Denon says there are only 3 authorized internet dealers, listenup (My over priced local store, Very nice guys though), sears, and take 2.

6. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

If you must know, dealer cost on the 5800 is about $2300, which almost covers shipping to the dealer. Now, do you expect the dealer to spend ANY time on the phone with you to explain ANYTHING? Perhaps not. How about a quick exchange of the product if there's a problem? Perhaps not. Bottom line is: USE YOUR HEAD!! Why would a dealer blow them out for a $50-100 over cost??? ESPECIALLY given the reputation of the 5800. Makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. What you'd most likely be getting at prices of $2350 or whatever is a product that will have NO dealer support, possibly a refurbished(or "B" stock) unit, possibly blemished, probably no warranty, and possibly stolen off of the back of the import boat. Yeah, you can take your chances, but when you're spending a couple thousand, why would ya? In order to save just a couple hundred more?
    Just in case you're looking to do it the right way, I can get you an "A" stock unit from an authorized dealer, with full support and warranty for about $2825...that's IF you wanna do it the right way. If interested, you can email me at [email protected]
    Good Luck
    [Edited last by Randy G on September 07, 2001 at 02:27 PM]

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Grant, the dealer you refer to as having bought the 5800 from an authorized dealer so, he's authorized is a bag 'a shit. Yea, the warranty is good for him, not you. Don't buy a big ticket item like the 5800 online. You'll only hurt yourself in the long run.... Just my opinion.
    - Chip
    ------------------

9. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Aaah, smells like another happy Randy G referral. :^)

10. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

11. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chip. That's what I figured.
    I'm going to buy it from the dealer that Randy mentioned. He is authorized. It will cost more than some of those internet sites, but less than list, and the support will be there if and when I need it. Thanks again for the referral Randy!!

12. Brian Corr

Grant,
    Sorry I haven't replied back, been busy.
    Poole Lumber started as a lumber and home improvement company and has since gotten into the audio/video part of it since it kind of goes hand in hand with remodeling/home improvement. (I asked how they got into A/V)
    When I was preparing to buy from them, I asked Wally if they were authorized to sell all the items they do and he said yes. I spoke to him many times and in length and he seems like an honest guy. I spent over 10 grand with them.
    I did have a problem with parts missing on a elliptical dish and he shipped me another one with no hesitation.
    Also, no dealer gets receivers directly from Denon. They are supplied by distributers. I don't really know how Denon tracks who gets them but I feel pretty confident that buying from a B&M (like Poole) is safe, partly because you have plenty of recourse if a problem did arise. They can always go back to their dist.
    As a matter of fact, all the boxes I received from them had UPS labels from a dist. in HOuston. This included the denon and M&K speakers.
    Also, the probability of Denon refusing warranty service on a product bought from a B&M in the US with a valid warranty card is unlikely. Denon would just be opening themselves up for lawsuits. JMHO
    They may not be authorized to sell online and technically, they don't. YOu have to call them. (which I would rather do when spending a large chunk of change)
    I think there is a difference between authorized internet sales and authorized sales.
    I know other dealers who do the same and I know people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on product that was shipped out of state.
    I have no affiliation with Poole. I just like referring business to vendors who take care of their customers.
    Maybe I am just not as worried as some about the whole warranty thing being an issue.
    Good luck.
    [Edited last by Brian Corr on September 07, 2001 at 04:57 PM]

13. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Several people have reported that they bought Denon 3802s from 6th Avenue Electronics at very resonable prices. They claim to be an authorized dealer for Denon http://www.6ave.com/help_manufacturers.jsp . Although 6th Ave. is not listed as an "Authorized Denon Online E-Tailers", their 5 stores are listed as "authorized" on Denon's web site (do a search for the state of NJ) http://www.del.denon.com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1
    The prices listed on the web site for current models are retail prices, but you can call and negociate just like you do at a B&M store. I bought a pair of NHT speakers from 6th Ave. for a VERY reasonable price and my only complaint was that the shipping cost seemed a little high. It may be worthwhile to give them a call.
    Jay

14. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Brian. I do appreciate it. But in doing my research, it does seem that Denon can refuse warranty work if you don't buy from an authorized dealer. At least that is what i understand, I could be wrong. And with a purchase this big, I just wanted to be sure.
    I just got confimation that my 5800 has been ordered directly from Denon by my dealer. He spoke with Denon, and apparantly they have just started shipping the 5800 WITH DPL II!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen that announced anywhere, but I believe him. He is an authorized dealer that has worked with Denon for years. If so, then it was definitely worth all the waiting and research that I've done.
    I just want to say thanks to everyone here. This is a great forum.

15. Dale_S

Dale_S Stunt Coordinator

16. Brian Corr

Best of luck.
    I have heard nothing about the 5800 shipping with DPLII.
    Also, I am a little suspicious about it coming direct from Denon. Denon uses distributors throughout the US and a receiver would more than likely come from them. I have bought 4 Denon recievers in the last 2 years and all had UPS stickers on them from a dist. rather than Denon.
    Also, I just checked and only two of the dealers I bought from are listed on Denon's site yet all 4 of them said they were authorized. (hummmm)
    If Denon is shipping the 5800 with DPLII, then I would imagine the upgrade isn't far behind, otherwise there are gonna be alot of pissed off 5800 owners!
    Let us know how it turns out. It's a sweet receiver!

17. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

You're more than welcome, Grant. Yeah, the dealer just called me and surprised me about the DPLII on the Denon. How about that...YOU are probably one of the first to not only get DPLII on your unit, but also one of the first to even KNOW about it!! Grant, do me a favor and don't directly mention the dealer's name or store online because I want to screen potential clients so as not to jeopardize our dealer's license. You understand, I'm sure. I'd appreciate it if you would just forward their info to me. Thanks, and enjoy the toy!
    Regards,
    Randy
    [email protected]

18. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

Randy, will do. I was being careful not to mention too much because I know that dealers can get in trouble. I wouldn't want that. If I want to refer anyone to him, I'll refer them to you first, just make sure to mention me [​IMG] thanks again.
    Everyone, the target for receipt of the 5800 to me is the 20th of this month. When it arrives, rest assured that I will post whether or not it has DPL II (assuming of course that it's not common knowledge by then). I can't wait!!!!!!

19. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Brian,
    What I believe Grant meant to convey was that the dealer put in the order directly to Denon. Denon will of course use its disribution channel to get it to the dealer. Otherwise, you'd have alot of pissed off distibutors if they thought they were being bypassed. On rare ocassions, Denon will ship directly to the dealer, but the distributor will still get his piece of the action. Thanks for the confidentiality Grant, and let us know how things turn out.
    Regards,
    Randy
    ps-Sometimes Denon's website list of authorized dealers is not up to date, but a simple(but lengthy) phone call will let you know who TRULY is.

20. Robert Fellows

Robert Fellows Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Pioneer Elite receiver over the internet and when it failed,I took it to a Pioneer authorized repair shop. I handed them both a copy of my receipt and my receiver.
    Two days later, they called me and said it was fixed...no questions, no problems.
    It's the repair shop that fixes the unit not the manufacturer. They have little incentive to hassle you about where you bought it.
    Besides, these days, people move all over the country. So you show up in California with a New Jersey sales receipt, like I did...and no one cares.
    ------------------
    Bob
    p.s.: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...