Where to buy RG6?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by rob_l, Jan 12, 2004.

1. rob_l

rob_l Extra

I have a powered subwoofer that I need to run 25ft. I checked PartsExpress and a few other places, but they don't have exactly what I want. Any suggestions?

I need:
    25ft WHITE RG6
    If terminated, then also gold plugs, and gold F female to RCA male adapter

If not terminated, then just gold RCA fitting.

I know parts express has these (091-1060), but I'd like to get it from the same place to save on shipping, and PE doesn't carry the white 25 footers.

Thanks!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

IS this for sub or for video? You could have a custom builder do it for you, I do some custom work on the side, and off the top of my head you're looking at $15-20 to have something like that built from top quality broadcast supplies.

-Vince

3. rob_l

rob_l Extra

It's for a subwoofer. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I can't find anything.

4. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Ok, I think I figured it out. Radio shack carries white RG6 cable. 278-1318

With 2 RCA connectors I'm good.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I did the exact same thing: 25 ft of white coax with "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors. Ran about $13 including tax.

But.. the "F" connectors were fairly standard-grade. You might have to cut/terminate with gold-colored plugs if you really want to.

Note: Use pliers/wrench to tighten down the "F" connectors. The problem with stiff RG6 coax is that it creates a constant force that tends to loosen the connectors over months of time.

A nicer-looking solution would be to let Vince make you a custom cable for the $20. The cables he builds would be over-kill for a subwoofer, but you would be getting a really good cable that I think would lay flatter on the ground than outdoor-grade CATV coax.