What's new

Using RG6 as Subwoofer Cable (1 Viewer)

When my house was being built, I consulted this forum to give me some ideas of what to pre-wire before the drywall went up. In heeding the advice, I ran some RG6 from the location of the entertainment center to the corner for a subwoofer connection.

What do I do now? How do I terminate this cable? Where do I get the parts I need? Bear in mind, on each wall point I want the cable terminated at the plate. I dont want the cable to "pass-thru" the plate and connect directly to the sub and to the receiver.

Please direct me to places to buy and hopefully a couple of pictures if you all have them.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What you need are wall plates that have an RCA connection on both the inside and outside of the plate, then an F-RCA connector that connects the RG6 to the inside of the wallplate. All of this should be available in places like Home Depot and Radio Shack but may also be available online at cheaper prices.

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
I did the same for my pre-wire.

I got the parts needed at partexpress.com.

Just terminate the ends of the wire with the regular RG6 F-connector. Then get 2 blank wall plates with the one hole for the usual cable tv ferrule. You'll need to get the Female F to RCA wall plate adapter. Slap that puppy in the wall plate (the f connector part goes inside the wall) then connect the RG6 cable to the adapter. On the outside, run your RCA patch cable as usual from the receiver to the wall, and out from the wall to the sub on the other side of the room.

Takes about 5 minutes.
here's the adapter you need.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Hey John,

Glad you've gotten the help you were looking for.
I too wired up my room with RG6 cable for my subwoofer connections. I ran two lines of RG6 to two different locations. One between the center channel and the right front and the other on the left side wall towards the front.
This one isn't being utilized right now. But I wanted to have another one in case I ever wanted to add a second sub.
With the 18" velo I have now, I really haven't had a desire to add another;)

RG6 works just fine if not better than traditional dedicated sub cables and for a lot less money!!

Have Fun!

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks