Analog Cable TV issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad_G, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Chad_G

Chad_G Auditioning

Hell All, I have a question about my Analog Cable. I have a 60" Mitsubishi TV only about 2 years old. And may cable picture is grainy on most channels. From where the cable comes into my home it goes into a 4-way splitter. There are no open connections on the splitter. Then I have a 30ft RG6 coaxial cable that runs from the splitter to the back of my TV. And the picture is still not great. I have tried the cable amps from Best buy and home depot but they did not help my picture quality. I have also seen a few commercial grade amps on e-bay. Does anybody know if these will work any better http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=32498131.
    I have even had Comcast come out to check to make sure everything was o.k. But of course they said I had plenty of signal coming into my home. If anybody has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Chad

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The first thing I would do is get a small coupler so that you can connect the incoming cable and the cable to the TV directly together to see if the signal is already degraded before it gets to the splitter. If that is fine then the splitter is degrading the signal. Monster has some cable splitters that do not degrade the signal. I used one in my previous setup with good results.

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

One caution I will put out about using an amplifier if you use one with to high an output you highly risk the chance of completely frying the tuner circuits in you're TV. As with any amplifier your increasing the power thats being transmitted to the TV and increasing it too much will overload the circuitry and end up making your tuner useless.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Chad and welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

So you have already called the CATV company and they said you are getting lots of signal? Did they check at the splitter site or all the way to your TV?

(My local company was great about starting at the TV and working it's way back up the wires to trace problems.)

I like Neils suggestion of trying a direct feed to the big TV to see if the splitter/other wires are part of the problem.

The next thing to check is all the F connectors. This is the number one cause of problems with CATV video. Make sure they are all well attached. You should also go tighten all of them finger tight, then 1/4 turn more with a wrench. Do this on wires that DONT go to the big TV as well.