Where, not what, do I buy??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Colonna, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if I want a Gamecube or an XBox. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with the Xbox. But what if I make a mistake and decide in 30 minutes after hooking it up that I want the OTHER console?

Why should I fork over $45 in restocking fees as Circuit City is telling me? I think that EB is saying that I can return & exchange once, but the salesman was, quite honestly, confusing me.

How about Best Buy?

What are you folks' experiences with returns of EITHER the consoles OR the games themselves?

thanks

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Some stores won't take back a console that is unopened much less one that has been used. They will offer an exchange within 30 days if your unit is defective but there are no refunds. You'll save yourself a hassle by renting both consoles and buying the one you like best. Do you really think its reasonable for some retailer to offer a full refund on these things? If that was the case then lots of people would buy it, play it, and take it back just for fun. I know I would.......

3. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I'm pretty sure EB will take back a console. In fact, I'm certain. A friend of mine took a PS2 back there.

4. Mike Mann

Mike Mann Extra

why not spend $15-$20 bucks and rent a system first? I know you could say that might be money spent toward the system, but it would give you a chance to play a few games and really check things out.

That's what I did. I've got a PS2 and was thinking it made the most sense for me to look at a gamecube for the variety of games it would add to the mix (I think xbox and PS2 will have lots of overlap). In any case, I rented a camecube and 4 games for like $30 bucks at Blockbuster. It gave me a chance to play the games I was thinking about and test the system. Yeah it could have been $30 bucks toward a game or a GC or xbox, but now I'll feel a lot better about my purchase when I do make it.

Just a thought...

-Mike

5. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

Buy a Dreamcast!

6. Henry Colonna

So far -

Best Buy - 30 days return opened or not. Not in stock anywhere. Not on web site. Dozens upon dozens of Gamecubes in the store. Are they not stocking XBox any more?

Circuit City - 15 Percent Restocking fee.

Electronics Boutique - Returnable but not refundable (store credit.)

Target - not refundable if opened.

WalMart - conflicting information.

Sears - forgot to check.

Sears may be my best bet. I'll start phoning tomorrow. I pretty much trust Best Buy if they had them in. It almost seems that they are consciously pushing Gamecubes though.

7. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I can assure you nobody at Best Buy is pushing GameCube per-say. Everyone has their favorites. I would say Microsoft is the delay in getting them in. Every time our store gets them in, we already have another batch on order.

8. Henry Colonna

OK, Jeremy thank you. I saw wave after wave the last 7 days before Christmas hit various stores but 0 here at the 3 local Best Buys...and none on the web site while the Gamecube is listed. I had begun to read too much of it...

It's important to me that my money is protected.

Thanks for the clarification