What's new

Where can I find the original theatrical version of Bladerunner? (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Brian, but you are mistaken. As Sam worded so well above you the US THEATRICAL version was NEVER released on VHS OR Beta. This is correct. I understand that you may think you have it as the differences are very minor and both have the narration and happy ending.
The 1987 Embassy NTSC VHS I have even has a box on the front saying "WARNING: This film contains never before released scenes of graphic violence that were edited out of the theatrical release!"

We also have a PAL Widescreen VHS of the Director's cut, and the weird thing about it is that the running time is listed as 112 minutes, and my VHS and DVD are both listed as 117 minutes. I've never done a comparison between them to see what's cut out of the PAL.

This is my 2nd favorite film, but I'm one who happens to really, really like the voiceover. I think it perfectly fits the noir feeling of the film. That's the version I came to know and love, and it's the version I still love best. It'll be nice to finally have that version in Widescreen.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
We also have a PAL Widescreen VHS of the Director's cut, and the weird thing about it is that the running time is listed as 112 minutes, and my VHS and DVD are both listed as 117 minutes. I've never done a comparison between them to see what's cut out of the PAL.
Most likely the reason for the large disparity in running time is due to the fact that when they transfer films for PAL, they run them at 25 frames-per-second, rather than the standard 24fps. This is common to almost all PAL transfers. Most of the time, you can tell it's running fast by listening to the music or voices - they all sound slightly higher-in-pitch than the correct 24fps versions. Around here, it's known as the "PAL-speedup issue" and has been hotly debated as to whether it's audible or not (it is, which is why I try to avoid PAL versions whenever possible). I believe in recent years they've made attempts to correct for this speedup by pitch-shifting downward the audio. But you still have the problem of the film's images running by too fast.

Randy Torres

Stunt Coordinator
I know that Charles de Lauzirika, comes to this forum sometimes and is working on the Bladerunner S.E.
So Charles, any new info on the S.E. as it's been a long time since we've heard anything about it :frowning:
I WANT MY BLADERUNNER S.E. :D

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
i have a vhs copy, from embassy home entertainment(#1380).
it has the added scenes. the box says 119 minutes, the actual cassette says 122 minutes. it has the voice over which i prefer. (i also have the dvd director's cut)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The VHS copy that I have is the motified DC. Did you actually have a VHS copy that was of the original theatrical release with the voiceover?
Yes I did. Guess I should have kept it as its rare now. But it did sell for a pretty good price considering it was an older vhs tape.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
So..... once again.....

The Embassy Laserdisc is truly the only version ever released to the home market that is in FACT the verion released to theatres....

Dugger

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The Embassy Laserdisc is truly the only version ever released to the home market that is in FACT the verion released to theatres....
You mean US Theatres. I believe the other version played theatrically in Europe if I'm not mistaken.
Also, depending on how you look at it, the Embassy laserdisc is missing about 40% of the film. :D
Jeff

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Holy shiat! I was digging through my old boxes with stored away vhs tapes that probably almost got thrown away or unsold yard sale tapes, guess what, I've found the 10th anniversary edition vhs tape with the voiceover.
It's in the vcr playing right now! Ah, vcr quality picture, 2 channel stereo, and pan&scan, and I'm still in love with this movie as always.
Voiceover makes it for me too!!!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks