What's new

Where are the emails located in Outlook Express? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just reformated my dad's computer (formerly Win98SE, now WinXPPro), and i gotta transfer some data from his old files to the new system (I backed up all his files onto my computer).

He had a collection of emails using Outlook Express 6, now i was wondering where the files are located so i can transfer them to the new reformat.

Thanks

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
The easiest way is to go to File->Export->Messages...

This will create a file of all your message you can save to some location on the hard drive or burn to disc, etc...

Then in the new e-mail location go to file->Import->select the file you saved from its new location or the CD you burned and go from there.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Whoops too late :frowning: Dang, i didnt export the mail messages and the address book listings for my dad
Anybody know how to import address book info from Opera to Outlook Express?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The location will depend on which operating system you're using, but the default folder can be found by starting up Outlook Express and going to Tools >> Options >> Maintenance and then Store Folder.

Alternatively, do a search for files with the .dbx extension. There will be several files for each Outlook Express profile.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Also look for files with the *.wab suffix - this will be your address book(s).

Don S

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same scenario and when I click file, export, messages, it asks me to pick 1 or all folders and then says it's exporting to either Outlook or Exchange - it isn't letting me choose a location for the file ... Did I miss something?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
You can conversely do a search for *.dbx files which is the file extension for your Outlook folders such as inbox.dbx, outbox.dbx so forth so on.

Another avenue to try is to go into Tools>Options. Then click on the "Maintenance" tab and click on the "Store Folder" button. This will show you the path to the directory that is storing all of your mail files. Hope that helps.

EDIT: DOH! I didn't even notice Rob had already replied with the exact same suggestions! My bad.

John Watson

Screenwriter
But why is it so dang hard, and obscure? Why can't seperate e-mails be as easy to save and copy as a word processing file?

Count this as one of the endless long list of 10 worst things about Windoze, IMO!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yeah, totally... my dad lost all his past email addresses :rolleyes:ohwell...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks