What's new

3D What's up with Warner? Kiss Me Kate last 3D Blu-ray release in 2015 (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head, WB only holds two large format films that are in jeopardy, and both require extremely heavy lifting, with seven figure budgets.

Good to hear that there aren't more as for the titles that are in better shape something could be done on a lower budget, like Cheyenne Autumn or Ryan's Daughter.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and Raintree County?

That would make 3 then together with Around the World in 80 Days. I am not sure if the Brothers Grimm have as many age related problems as the others - maybe Warner is speculating on technology advancing more to be able to handle Grimm in a more cost efficient way?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That would make 3 then together with Around the World in 80 Days. I am not sure if the Brothers Grimm have as many age related problems as the others - maybe Warner is speculating on technology advancing more to be able to handle Grimm in a more cost efficient way?

Grimm has major problems.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I happily bought House of Wax and Dial M (kudos, WB!). 3D or no, I'm afraid you'd have to pay me to buy Kiss Me Kate. (Sorry....). But I would leap at the opportunity to pay a premium for 3D blus of Dangerous Mission, Second Chance, etc. -- and needless to say, Phantom of the Rue Morgue. (Especially if it included a bonus of the 1941 Pete Smith short Third Dimensional Murder. :3dglasses: )

While I can respect your purchasing and viewing choices, it baffles me that you would deny yourself one of the best-looking vintage 3-D films available. Musicals have never been my area of interest, but I was really able to get into the spirit, and with benefit of the 3-D I enjoyed it tremendously. I can certainly understand why no less a person than Martin Scorsese singles it out for praise out among other 3-D films of the time.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Here's a breakdown:

WarnerColor
The Charge at Feather River
The Bounty Hunter
Phantom of the Rue Morgue
The Command (3-D version not finished. Missing opticals.)

Monopack/Kodachrome
Second Chance
Devil's Canyon
The French Line
Dangerous Mission
Son of Sinbad

Pathe color
Louisiana Territory

Ansco color
Arena

YCM Successive Exposure
Lumber Jack-Rabbit
Popeye, the Ace of Space

Black and White
The Moonlighter

The last would be the easiest to prep for 3-D Blu-ray. There are left/right positive 35mm composite fine grains.

It's worth noting: THE MOONLIGHTER has not been seen anywhere in 3-D since the fall of 1953.

View attachment 39123

You make a strong case for The Moonlighter. That would seem to be a most justifiable and worthwhile restoration if expense is called into question. As a Natural Vision 3-D title, chances are the 3-D is impressive and without issue.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the titles I would be particularly thrilled for are Second Chance and Phantom of the Rue Morgue. But most of these titles would be interesting choices for one reason or another. The Bounty Hunter is another film that apparently hasn't been seen in 3-D; given the people involved the 3-D should be competent at the very least.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Given that the number of copies sold of catalogue titles tends to be in the low thousands - and for 3D titles probably even lower than that - I don't think Warner much cares.

3-D titles aren't going to sell any less than comparable 2d films. 3-D just adds appeal. I wouldn't expect Dial M sold less than other 1950s Hitchcock for example. I wouldn't expect It Came From Outer Space to sell any less than other 1950s Universal sci-fi films.

I would expect 3-D to boost the sales. There are low-quality films that have been sold purely/mainly on the strength of the 3-D. Quality 3-D films are hard to resist, and will also appeal to those who lack the ability to watch them in that format.

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
3-D titles aren't going to sell any less than comparable 2d films. 3-D just adds appeal. I wouldn't expect Dial M sold less than other 1950s Hitchcock for example. I wouldn't expect It Came From Outer Space to sell any less than other 1950s Universal sci-fi films.

I would expect 3-D to boost the sales. There are low-quality films that have been sold purely/mainly on the strength of the 3-D. Quality 3-D films are hard to resist, and will also appeal to those who lack the ability to watch them in that format.

I agree. While I don't have access to the data (who does?), I think it's fair to speculate that '50s and other classic 3D titles at this point would outsell 2D copies of the same movies.

Why do I say that? Because baby-boomers who own 3D home equipment find themselves enveloped with a deep hunger to feed the beast with classic 3D titles -- even when it's a title/ genre they would never have considered flat. Case-in-point: Yours truly. You may just have talked me into buying Kiss Me Kate. Think I would have bought a 2D copy? Or even spent 90 mins.of my life watching it on TCM? But if it's as good as you (and Scorsese) say it is in 3D, I just may have to succumb....

One thing's for sure: I will never buy a 2D-only disc of a 3D film.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
You may just have talked me into buying Kiss Me Kate. Think I would have bought a 2D copy? Or even spent 90 mins.of my life watching it on TCM? But if it's as good as you (and Scorsese) say it is in 3D, I just may have to succumb....

Even if you're not into the film, it's worth watching for a little bit of entertainment history: The number "From This Moment On" abruptly changes dance (and musical) styles in the middle of the song. In his first appearance in a musical film, Bob Fosse was allowed to choreograph (uncredited) his duet with Carol Haney. The Fosse style was unmistakable even then.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
I truly hate musicals (with the exceptions of WIZARD OF OZ, CABARET, and maybe ROCKY HORROR if the mood is right) and have avoided KATE for that reason. But you guys are starting to sway me. Currently sold out on Amazon (guess sales are still healthy) but noted as being back in stock on the 17th.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I truly hate musicals (with the exceptions of WIZARD OF OZ, CABARET, and maybe ROCKY HORROR if the mood is right) and have avoided KATE for that reason. But you guys are starting to sway me. Currently sold out on Amazon (guess sales are still healthy) but noted as being back in stock on the 17th.

With a few exceptions I hate musicals as well. I got KISS ME KATE for the 3D but I'm afraid even that couldn't keep me awake!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
How about a contrary opinion? I love musicals and basically have a collection of every one available on DVD, plus many more recorded from TCM. I am happily replacing DVDs with Blu rays and 3D if available.

Music, stereo sound, directional dialog, OAR, and 3D all add to my enjoyment of a movie. There are exceptions like Beloved Infidel, which had stereo sound, directional dialog and OAR, but I couldn't wait for it to end so I could sell it on eBay.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Music, stereo sound, directional dialog, OAR, and 3D all add to my enjoyment of a movie. There are exceptions like Beloved Infidel, which had stereo sound, directional dialog and OAR, but I couldn't wait for it to end so I could sell it on eBay.

I really like the film and will watch it again in a few days time. Beloved Infidel has always divided audiences. I believe it got bad reviews when it first came out. In no circumstances will ever let go of my disc!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
While the single disc of Kis Me Kate is backordered, it is available as part of a four film package. In 3D. For only $22.84
https://www.amazon.com/Musicals-Col...4&sr=8-1&keywords=musicals+collection+blu+ray
117332_front.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks