What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jeff, just curious. Does importCDs charge you a lot to ship internationally? Also why them and not DeepDiscount?
Hey Neal! Right now, almost every company charges quite a bit to ship overseas. Import CDs' shipping seems commensurate with Amazon's...but often (though of course not always) their prices for TV on DVD sets are generally much cheaper (particularly Warner Archive MOD sets, which are expensive no matter how you slice it), and that's where I get the biggest savings. The recent order I last posted about came to $27 for international shipping...not too bad, considering some of those sets (like the two Timeless Virginian sets) are packaged in fairly large cases holding 10 DVDs each.

As to your second question...I used to use Deep Discount a lot back in the day, when it was (I believe) under different management. But a few years back, I placed a small order and was immediately hit with several hundred dollars in fraudulent charges on my Japanese Visa debit card. That was a real pain in the ass to sort out (had to file a police report here in Osaka, etc.) and so have refused to use them since. I've heard (via comments from you and others) that Import CDs is owned by the same parent company as Deep Discount, which does give me pause...but so far, I've had zero problems with them.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The recent order I last posted about came to $27 for international shipping...not too bad, considering some of those sets (like the two Timeless Virginian sets) are packaged in fairly large cases holding 10 DVDs each.

I take it those Virginian releases are hefty because of not just how many discs there are in each of them, but also the number of episodes (around 30 per go) and the length of each one (90 min. apiece, + or -).

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hey Neal! Right now, almost every company charges quite a bit to ship overseas. Import CDs' shipping seems commensurate with Amazon's...but often (though of course not always) their prices for TV on DVD sets are generally much cheaper (particularly Warner Archive MOD sets, which are expensive no matter how you slice it), and that's where I get the biggest savings. The recent order I last posted about came to $27 for international shipping...not too bad, considering some of those sets (like the two Timeless Virginian sets) are packaged in fairly large cases holding 10 DVDs each.

As to your second question...I used to use Deep Discount a lot back in the day, when it was (I believe) under different management. But a few years back, I placed a small order and was immediately hit with several hundred dollars in fraudulent charges on my Japanese Visa debit card. That was a real pain in the ass to sort out (had to file a police report here in Osaka, etc.) and so have refused to use them since. I've heard (via comments from you and others) that Import CDs is owned by the same parent company as Deep Discount, which does give me pause...but so far, I've had zero problems with them.
Ok thank you Jeff. I would think what happened had little to do with importCDs and more to do with your card being hacked. Btw, Alliance Entertainment which owns importCDs, DeepDiscount, Critics Choice, formerly DVDPlanet, are also blowitoutahere on eBay. I've found they actually offer even lower pricing than DeepDiscount. Note the incredible number of feedback, 2,454,505! When I first noticed this seller the 1289 negative feedbacks stood out and put me off, but with almost 2.5 million I guess that number is rather small. Anyhow I've ordered from them about 20 times now and never a hitch. I assure everyone I am not in any way affiliated with them. :)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Ok thank you Jeff. I would think what happened had little to do with importCDs and more to do with your card being hacked. Btw, Alliance Entertainment which owns importCDs, DeepDiscount, Critics Choice, formerly DVDPlanet, are also blowitoutahere on eBay. I've found they actually offer even lower pricing than DeepDiscount. Note the incredible number of feedback, 2,454,505! When I first noticed this seller the 1289 negative feedbacks stood out and put me off, but with almost 2.5 million I guess that number is rather small. Anyhow I've ordered from them about 20 times now and never a hitch. I assure everyone I am not in any way affiliated with them. :)
Yep, I have no proof that Deep Discount (or a disgruntled worker at same) was responsible for the hacking of my Visa card, but the timing was suspicious...and the Japanese police determined that the hack occured Stateside. At any rate, that situation was enough for me never to feel inclined to give them any more business.

Ironically, since you mention the eBay seller blowitoutahere...they too are responsible for my one and only negative experience with eBay. They misprinted my mailing address here in Japan and never took any responsibility when my order with them unsurprisingly failed to arrive here, claiming that I had submitted the incorrect address, which I had not. They refused my request for a refund. It wasn't a huge dollar amount (around $40), but still...burn me like that, and I'll never use your service again...it is too bad, as they do have some nice prices, as you point out. Thanks to you, I know all these various entities all fall under the umbrella of Alliance Entertainment. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that Import CDs continues to be reliable. They have been so far.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Yep, I have no proof that Deep Discount (or a disgruntled worker at same) was responsible for the hacking of my Visa card, but the timing was suspicious...and the Japanese police determined that the hack occured Stateside. At any rate, that situation was enough for me never to feel inclined to give them any more business.

Ironically, since you mention the eBay seller blowitoutahere...they too are responsible for my one and only negative experience with eBay. They misprinted my mailing address here in Japan and never took any responsibility when my order with them unsurprisingly failed to arrive here, claiming that I had submitted the incorrect address, which I had not. They refused my request for a refund. It wasn't a huge dollar amount (around $40), but still...burn me like that, and I'll never use your service again...it is too bad, as they do have some nice prices, as you point out. Thanks to you, I know all these various entities all fall under the umbrella of Alliance Entertainment. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that Import CDs continues to be reliable. They have been so far.
Incredible. All you had to do was file a complaint with eBay and you would have gotten a refund. They ALWAYS side with the buyer. OR had you contacted Alliance or any one of their subsidiaries I'm sure you would have been made whole. blowitoutahere NEVER returns email contact. They're too big to be bothered (f 'em:)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robert, thanks for the info about the sale. Picked up Sylvester McCoy's last season. For some reason, I never caught these episodes. Last one I remember seeing was the Dalek episode. I need to see if this last season is good or bad. Fandom seems divided ( or at least the reviewers on Amazon ).

Doctor Who - Sylvester McCoy Season 3.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, thanks for the info about the sale. Picked up Sylvester McCoy's last season. For some reason, I never caught these episodes. Last one I remember seeing was the Dalek episode. I need to see if this last season is good or bad. Fandom seems divided ( or at least the reviewers on Amazon ).

Doctor Who - Sylvester McCoy Season 3.
I thought it was the best of his run.

It's all Ace, so that's a plus. I think my least favorite of the serials was the final one.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I thought it was the best of his run.

It's all Ace, so that's a plus. I think my least favorite of the serials was the final one.
Thanks very much for the heads-up on the Who Blu sale, Robert! As I have all of the others, I also just ordered S26, the final Sylvester McCoy season, same as Doug. McCoy's far and away my least favorite actor to play the Doctor, but this season is easily his best, with some good stories...and, per usual with these Blu sets, the extras are copious. For $30, I'm in.

883929704361.jpg

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The US sets will probably be my next purchase, when Target has a sale or something.

Same masters, and traditional packaging. Though I see how the Book of Shadows packaging is a draw for the mega fans.
if you are going for the US versions, I would suggest Bullmoose. Their prices are competitive, free shipping if multiple seasons (their threshold is $35), and no tax for most of the country.

Just be aware that Season 3 is currently unavailable for most retailers (there was a disc replacement, so new copies are being held). MovieZyng (the retail arm of Allied Vaughn - manufacturer) is selling it.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Since the price dropped to just under $20 at Amazon, I finally ordered the Region 1 DVD set of Brian Clemens' early-1970s British Thriller series.

81TVKo4wFNL._SL1500_.jpg

And, via the Kino Lorber sale, the 1972 Michael Crichton-directed TV-movie suspenser, Pursuit, on blu-ray.

738329237813.jpg

Also, with all this Dr. Who blu-ray sale talk, I'm curious... why are the 2nd and 4th Jon Pertwee seasons already released on the format (in the U.S.), but not his 1st (other than the 'Spearhead from Space' stand-alone blu release) nor 3rd? And if I *were* to buy the 'Spearhead from Space' blu-ray now (good as it probably is), wouldn't I just be setting myself up for an inevitable double-dip, whenever Pertwee's 1st season eventually *does* get released on the format? I've been sort of wanting these shows, recently, but this has held me at bay a bit, so far.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since the price dropped to just under $20 at Amazon, I finally ordered the Region 1 DVD set of Brian Clemens' early-1970s British Thriller series.

Also, with all this Dr. Who blu-ray sale talk, I'm curious... why are the 2nd and 4th Jon Pertwee seasons already released on the format (in the U.S.), but not his 1st (other than the 'Spearhead from Space' stand-alone blu release) nor 3rd? And if I *were* to buy the 'Spearhead from Space' blu-ray now (good as it probably is), wouldn't I just be setting myself up for an inevitable double-dip, whenever Pertwee's 1st season eventually *does* get released on the format? I've been sort of wanting these shows, recently, but this has held me at bay a bit, so far.

It's not just the US, the US releases are basically the same as the British releases except for a different naming scheme in the UK (they put the overall season number on them over there instead of "Actor, Actor's Year as The Doctor"). They're releasing them as they feel like, not in order.

And yes, you'll likely be setting yourself up for a double dip if you buy the Spearhead From Space single disc.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
How many discs are in this version of Thriller complete collection?
It's ordered, but won't arrive here until probably on Saturday, so I can't say for certain, first-hand. The info on the Amazon product page for it says there are 8 discs in the set.

Bear in mind that this is the early-1970s color Thriller series, made (originally) for British TV... *not* the early-1960s, Hollywood-produced, b&w suspense/horror anthology series, hosted by Boris Karloff, just in case there's any confusion about it. I have the latter on DVD already; the big DVD set that Image Entertainment released over a decade ago.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It's ordered, but won't arrive here until probably on Saturday, so I can't say for certain, first-hand. The info on the Amazon product page for it says there are 8 discs in the set.

Bear in mind that this is the early-1970s color Thriller series, made (originally) for British TV... *not* the early-1960s, Hollywood-produced, b&w suspense/horror anthology series, hosted by Boris Karloff, just in case there's any confusion about it. I have the latter on DVD already; the big DVD set that Image Entertainment released over a decade ago.

My copy had something like 8 discs (iirc). There was another version which had a total of something like 12 or 13 discs. (Both versions were released by vei in america).

The episodes look like 1970s era stuff from england, with the actors/actresses speaking in "american" sounding accents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks