What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I went ahead and took advantage of the Dr. Who sale at Amazon, ordering the 2nd & 4th Jon Pertwee seasons and the 1st & 3rd Tom Baker seasons on blu ray.

818PPHDh7CL._SL1500_.jpg

81dHaEQT94L._SL1500_.jpg

81I4FYuF23L._SL1500_.jpg

71swmVB4cHL._SL1167_.jpg
If you enjoy Who, you will really enjoy these. The extras are excellent.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If it comes out in epikpak, that's when I'll give New Orleans a blind buy and pretend it's a longform Quantum Leap episode.

At this point for me, it is tempting to just buy the NCIS: New Orleans complete series as a preorder. (It is being released on August 31, 2021).

I already have the seasons 1, 2, and 3 season sets.

Apparently the preorder price of the NCIS: New Orleans complete series set, is way lower in cost than the individual seasons 4, 5, 6 and 7 dvd sets alone.

(That is unless seasons 4, 5, and 6 start to suddenly show up in local dump bins for $15 a pop or less).

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming off my "oops it's a bootleg" eBay purchase of Thriller, I took a chance. I needed to replace my box sets of Gerry Anderson's The Protectors. I had the A&E sets and the more recent rereleases are crammed onto 6 DVDs rather than 8. I found a listing for the two A&E boxes lightly used. He had them listed for $12 and I had them on my watchlist. He offered them to me for $10 and free shipping. I figured I couldn't possibly lose and went for it.

Got them today, did a check. Genuine. Sometimes it works out.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great, lengthy documentary series there, Neal. As with most of the Ken Burns' event series, there's that one beautifully evocative segment that you'll always remember. For me, with his The Civil War series it was "Northern Lights", about Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's 20th Maine regiment at the wintry and bloody battle of Fredericksburg, slaughtered before Marie's heights and laying wounded all night under the northern lights as the famous 'Angel' ministered mercifully to them...with Baseball it was "I see him still", about alcoholic and aged pitcher Grover Cleveland Alexander and his St. Louis Cardinals upsetting the mighty NY Yankees with their 'Murderer's Row' of hall of fame lead-off hitters in the 1926 World Series...those kinds of stories send shivers up my spine...
I still need to pick up these later seasons of Bonanza, as I only have them up to season 9...I see that Amazon also lists Via Vision (Australia, the old Madman) complete season 8 disc releases for seasons 10 and 11 that are considerably more affordable than the split-season volumes that CBS/P put out themselves. I think they're region free, and I presume with the same transfers, but perhaps not having any of the limited bonus features, if any.

I myself just received the new MPI 3 disc release of Code 3 (1957-58, 39 eps.)...a great release using nice film sources provided by UCLA. I'll be posting screen caps from the new set soon in the B+W TV thread. Buy with confidence!

Last edited:

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Coming off my "oops it's a bootleg" eBay purchase of Thriller, I took a chance. I needed to replace my box sets of Gerry Anderson's The Protectors. I had the A&E sets and the more recent rereleases are crammed onto 6 DVDs rather than 8. I found a listing for the two A&E boxes lightly used. He had them listed for $12 and I had them on my watchlist. He offered them to me for $10 and free shipping. I figured I couldn't possibly lose and went for it.

Got them today, did a check. Genuine. Sometimes it works out.
Hey Scott, that was me you got that from. 😄 . if i hadda known that was you, i would’ve just sent it to ya. i bought a region 2 copy is why i sold those. ever since i got a region free player, any uk show i get , i prefer to get the region 2 one if i can ( i know, its stupid) . anyway, i love that show , just wish some episodes had been longer and it had been remastered. i think its a lot better than its reputation warrants

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What the what?! That's awesome! VERY happy I didn't say anything awful! :lol: Thanks, Frankie! First time I've "met" a follow HTF member outside the forum. Thanks for the great deal.

I'm sure the Network / Region 2 sets probably have a lot more bonus features, so I totally get it. I really enjoy this series as well. When I met Robert Vaughn at a local convention some years ago, he was stunned when I told him how much I enjoyed the series. I think he was only expecting MFU fans. And I'm fairly certain he didn't particularly enjoy the experience making The Protectors.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Great, lengthy documentary series there, Neal. As with most of the Ken Burns' event series, there's that one beautifully evocative segment that you'll always remember. For me, with his The Civil War series it was "Northern Lights", about Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's 20th Maine regiment at the wintry and bloody battle of Fredericksburg, slaughtered before Marie's heights and laying wounded all night under the northern lights as the famous 'Angel' ministered mercifully to them...with Baseball it was "I see him still", about alcoholic and aged pitcher Grover Cleveland Alexander and his St. Louis Cardinals upsetting the mighty NY Yankees with their 'Murderer's Row' of hall of fame lead-off hitters in the 1926 World Series...those kinds of stories send shivers up my spine...

I still need to pick up these later seasons of Bonanza, as I only have them up to season 9...I see that Amazon also lists Via Vision (Australia, the old Madman) complete season 8 disc releases for seasons 10 and 11 that are considerably more affordable than the split-season volumes that CBS/P put out themselves. I think they're region free, and I presume with the same transfers, but perhaps not having any of the limited bonus features, if any.

I myself just received the new MPI 3 disc release of Code 3 (1957-58, 39 eps.)...a great release using nice film sources provided by UCLA. I'll be posting screen caps from the new set soon in the B+W TV thread. Buy with confidence!
Darn screen caps ain't got time to watch a thing. This is all your fault Randall!! :biggrin:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
An interesting combination, indeed. Bonanza is a classic. And I love the Ken Burns baseball film. An elegant and honest portrayal of the national pastime. Neal, looks like you have some great viewing lined up for you.
Sorry Glenn I missed this earlier. Yes, I guess Baseball and Bonanza is just about as American as you can get without adding a :emoji_hotdog:
I've been waiting a long time to have a reason to use that smilie. :emoji_upside_down:

What with my screen cap disorder who knows when I'll find time to watch this stuff!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Why does Australia have more of Bonanza beyond what we have here in America from CBS?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Why does Australia have more of Bonanza beyond what we have here in America from CBS?
They don't Ben. The Via Vision releases from Australia are for seasons 10 and 11...but in complete season, 8 disc sets. As opposed to the North American releases that are also for seasons 10 and 11, but split up into two 4 disc volumes for both of those seasons. So, the same amount of Bonanza has been released in both Australia and N. America. If the Via Vision releases are anything like the The Virginian season 7 that I have, they are region free. But the Via Vision Bonanza sets for seasons 10 and 11 are far cheaper in price than buying the CBS/P half-season volumes here. I just recently discovered that these Via Vision sets are available on Amazon. Via Vision has also released all of Rawhide in Australia. I've almost pulled the trigger on getting their release of Rawhide season 4, hoping that they might have used the newer HD transfers instead of the terrible old transfers that CBS inexplicably dumped on us in 2011...the rest of Rawhide looks great, so season 4 is an outrageous outlier. And that's a great season with many superb episodes. But they might have been forced to use the same crappy old transfers, and "reviews" on Amazon don't help to answer that question definitively.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Also, with all this Dr. Who blu-ray sale talk, I'm curious... why are the 2nd and 4th Jon Pertwee seasons already released on the format (in the U.S.), but not his 1st (other than the 'Spearhead from Space' stand-alone blu release) nor 3rd? And if I *were* to buy the 'Spearhead from Space' blu-ray now (good as it probably is), wouldn't I just be setting myself up for an inevitable double-dip, whenever Pertwee's 1st season eventually *does* get released on the format? I've been sort of wanting these shows, recently, but this has held me at bay a bit, so far.

As for the out-of-order releases, it has to do with the elements.

S7 (Jon's first season) has several episodes that had to have color restored. The original color transmission tapes were junked, and the VHS/DVDs were a combination of B&W Film backups with fan copied videotape color copies overlaid onto them. They looked ok for DVD, but will require additional (costly and time-consuming) work to bring them up to the current standards. Spearhead is the exception because it was made on Film, that still survives.

Season 9 also has several episodes that were re-colored and would require additional work.
Season 11 has one episode that wasn't even re-colored well for DVD (Invasion Of The Dinosaurs).

So, all three will come, but they need more time to get them looking as good as the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks