What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (3 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Wow, that's quite a lot of special features on that complete Doris Day Show set....enjoy the corniness, Neal!
Thank you Jeff. I feel like Burgess Meredith except I have 128 episodes of delightful corn and time enough at last, ahhhhh.

Why would anyone laugh? I have S1, myself, and one of these days, I'll get around to getting the others.
:cheers:
There's a wonderful history about the show written by HTF member Caproni. It's a testament to Doris Day that you would never know this was a series she did not want to do when you watch the life she pumped into it.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I ordered late May: the seventh season of Gunsmoke.​
I'm currently enjoying Disc #3. So far so good.​
gun7_1.jpg
gun7_2.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Don't laugh. The Doris Day Show (1968–1973) Complete Series off eBay.

View attachment 100295 View attachment 100296 View attachment 100297

Last night I watched the first seven episodes and I thought it was incredibly corny and delightful.
Being a comedy, there should be some laughter! :D

This looks like a nice fairly compact set. I do remember seeing this "3 shows in one" series just a couple of years after its first run. They would air weekday afternoons around 4:30 or 5:00 PM, as I recall. I haven't seen this series in well over 40 years, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them again, given the opportunity. They just don't make shows like this, anymore.

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Don't laugh. The Doris Day Show (1968–1973) Complete Series off eBay.

View attachment 100295 View attachment 100296 View attachment 100297

Last night I watched the first seven episodes and I thought it was incredibly corny and delightful.
Like others have said - there's nothing to laugh about picking up that series. I own the complete series myself, though not in such a compact form (my first 2 or 3 seasons are the thicker packaging releases). I like the first season best and it changes its premise every season. It *does* get a bit overly cheesy towards the end with several episodes that seem to be nothing but fashion show junk to allow Ms. Day to strut her stuff a bit. The over use of "The Doris Day" filter is also distracting (but at least it was only used for her closeups and solo shots). I discussed some of the seasons in the "What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?" thread.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bonanza - Season 3-Volume 1
Bonanza - Season 6-Volume 1
Gomer Pyle USMC - Complete Season 1

All courtesy of Big Lots.
Those Bonanza volumes are great deals. The store here had both volumes of two seasons (8 and 9 IIRC) - sadly, seasons I already own, otherwise I'd have jumped on them.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Being a comedy, there should be some laughter! :D

This looks like a nice fairly compact set. I do remember seeing this "3 shows in one" series just a couple of years after its first run. They would air weekday afternoons around 4:30 or 5:00 PM, as I recall. I haven't seen this series in well over 40 years, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them again, given the opportunity. They just don't make shows like this, anymore.

CHEERS! :)
Very good Tony! I'm through the first two discs and it really is genuine laughter. The nice thing is that there isn't any canned laughter. I wonder if that will last throughout the entire series? It is fascinating how much syndication or the lack thereof can affect the destiny of a great show and if it remembered or forgotten.

Like others have said - there's nothing to laugh about picking up that series. I own the complete series myself, though not in such a compact form (my first 2 or 3 seasons are the thicker packaging releases). I like the first season best and it changes its premise every season. It *does* get a bit overly cheesy towards the end with several episodes that seem to be nothing but fashion show junk to allow Ms. Day to strut her stuff a bit. The over use of "The Doris Day" filter is also distracting (but at least it was only used for her closeups and solo shots). I discussed some of the seasons in the "What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?" thread.
I spent quite some time searching this forum for your Doris Day comments and cannot find them. Can you please post a link?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Very good Tony! I'm through the first two discs and it really is genuine laughter. The nice thing is that there isn't any canned laughter. I wonder if that will last throughout the entire series? It is fascinating how much syndication or the lack thereof can affect the destiny of a great show and if it remembered or forgotten.

I spent quite some time searching this forum for your Doris Day comments and cannot find them. Can you please post a link?
Here ya go:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Thank you Jeff. I feel like Burgess Meredith except I have 128 episodes of delightful corn and time enough at last, ahhhhh.
There's a wonderful history about the show written by HTF member Caproni. It's a testament to Doris Day that you would never know this was a series she did not want to do when you watch the life she pumped into it.
Just noticed the box credits a "Rosie" Marie. :D

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Through some miracle, I scored a used DVD set of James Burke's Connections 2 (1994) via Amazon Marketplace yesterday for $25 (vendors usually offer it for $100-$200 more than that), so now I'll finally have all three Connections series on my shelf. Hurrah! 🔬⚗️🛠️⚙️⏳:banana:

51KYJ32A2EL.jpg
I like the connections series very much and LOVE the original that IMHO is the most well done documentary of all time.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Dynasty: The Reunion

I have purchased the entire series and started watching it in March. I am now on Season 9, so in a few days I will have the entire series viewed. This is one of the reasons I haven't posted much over here at all, plus I was working a lot until school ended a couple of weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks