What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
St Patty's Weekend Blu Ray Wrap-up:
1977's Prey

1000030529.png

via Vinegar Syndrome for my Friday night fright fest ...

The Balcony
1000030520.png

Saturday night's feature thanks to Kino Lorber's glorious Blu Ray edition

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
Beau Is Afraid
1000030524.png

for a three hour Sunday afternoon therapy session

... followed by a much needed tonic
Lord Love a Duck
1000030522.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was supposed to review Marlowe when the disc was released last year, but the disc wasn't sent. Yesterday, I watched it on Prime. The sense of time and atmosphere was not consistently maintained, there was at least one convolution too many in its twisty plot, and the denouement was rather anticlimactic. I liked certain things about it, but Neeson wasn't my idea of Marlowe (probably twenty years too old for 1939 but ten years too old for the film).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lou
Originally Released: 09/23/2022
Watched: 03/18/2024
1080p digital streaming on Netflix via Residence Inn TV

Lou (2022) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Whether all of the main characters being connected in implausible ways through a convoluted back story is enough to turn you off this serviceable but not exceptional gender-bent Taken or John Wick, with Allison Janney as the old pro with "a very particular set of skills, skills ... acquired over a very long career."

* * *​
True Lies
Originally Released: 07/15/1994
Watched: 03/20/2024
4K UHD disc via Panasonic DP-UB820

True Lies (1994) Ultra HD Disc Cover Art

Recommended?
Yes

Why? While there is a misogynistic streak to the movie that doesn't play nearly as well in the post-#MeToo world, and the nondescript Arab terrorists with a mishmash of Middle Eastern imagery are about as scary as the Nazis in the Indiana Jones movies, this relentlessly entertaining action comedy is a classic for a reason.

This new UHD release looks like a modern movie, for better and for worse. It doesn't suffer from the waxy loss of detail typical of older noise reduction tools, but it also doesn't have that rich nineties film look that it had originally.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I had another look at Shakedown last night. This well acted movie prefigures a few more recent films about unethical news photographers.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Another re-watch of a Kino-Lorber blu-ray disc last night: Naked Alibi, a film I like a lot. I'm not a Gloria Grahame fan but she's excellent in this film. Russell Metty's contribution is likewise excellent.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I had a fresh look at Foxy Brown yesterday. I like Pam Grier and wish she had worked with better screenplays and more talented colleagues. She's the only really good element in this movie. The core story is crude but adequate and with more care, talent and refinement could have been worked into a good film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had a fresh look at Foxy Brown yesterday. I like Pam Grier and wish she had worked with better screenplays and more talented colleagues. She's the only really good element in this movie. The core story is crude but adequate and with more care, talent and refinement could have been worked into a good film.
I love Grier's blaxploitation movies but I think it was a sin that even after Jackie Brown, Hollywood still didn't give her better roles.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched 99 River Street, a good, tough crime drama with a very strong cast and a very capable director. There are two prominent female roles, played by Evelyn Keys and Peggie Castle. Evelyn Keys was always a good actress who never let the audience down, but for some quirk of mine, I've never really liked her. Peggie Castle I've always enjoyed watching! I might watch her again today in I, The Jury.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 29th, 2024 Friday

Quigley Down Under
4K Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 (48kHz, 24-bit)

Ok strange how this movie does not seem to have a 5.1 surround mix and I think I like the old artwork on the DVD release better than the blu-ray release which because it is Shout Factory which also released the 4K disc it has the same artwork.

Quigley Down Under DVD to 4K.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Abyss [Special Edition]
Originally Released: 08/09/1989 (theatrical cut)
Watched: 03/30/2024
4K UHD disc via Panasonic DP-UB820

The Abyss (1989) Ultra HD Disc Cover Art

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This expanded cut, which adds a Day the Earth Stood Still-style Cold War framing to the story, works extremely well as a science fiction picture, quite well as an under the sea adventure, and passably well as a suspense-thriller with a nuclear ticking clock. And I believed the chemistry between Harris's character and Mastrantonio's character.

As with True Lies, this new UHD release looks like a modern movie. But I don't have the same mixed feelings here. Partly that is because the processing doesn't feel as heavy handed. Partly that is because I'm not as familiar with the original look as I am with True Lies. And partly that is because the look of eighties film stocks and color timing was never that great, if we're being honest. The movie looks fantastic as presented here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks