What's new

What's my HT's biggest need? What do I need most? (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I am planning to upgrade my HT. My current equipment that I bought in 97 is Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers and Carver Pro Logic Receiver. I have a Toshiba 37" television, a quality VCR and about to buy a DVD. I have been thinking of upgrading to a Denon 3802 receiver. I have also been thinking of upgrading to include a SVS sub. I also realize that I need to eventually replace the Bose system. The problem is that I cannot do all at once. Tonight while watching The Perfect Storm (Cinemax, Digital Cable), the sound I experienced was better than regular TV speakers, but I am not overwhelmed by the sound. I do not feel as though I am "in the storm" as I think that I should. It was just loud and not as clear as I feel it should be. What is the biggest need that I have with my setup? I plan in spend as much as $2K on speakers (not including sub) if I have to, but would like to come out as inexpensive as possible while maintining quality sound. What will make the most noticable improvement to what I hear? Please help!
[Edited last by Kelly on November 09, 2001 at 03:43 PM]

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Kelly: What's your budget?
The Denon 3802 is a great choice...(the one I made :) )
I just hooked up an inexpensive Sony DD receiver for my brother to replace his Kenwood Pro Logic. The difference blew him away! The receiver is a must.
Here's a safe package:
Onkyo or Denon 2802 Receiver w/ DD, DTS & PLII ($400 ?)
Changer DVD Player that plays CD-R's & does true random play. I have a Pioneer DVD player that also plays the role of CD changer. ($250)
Speaker package: Energy, Klipsch Quintet, etc. ($500)
Sub: HSU VTF2, Mission, Infinity, etc ($500)
Radio Shack Gold Series cables & Home Depot 12 or 14 ga. speaker wire. ($100 - $200)
Radio Shack Sound Level Meter ($30)
Video Essentials or Avia Guide to HT ($30)
Enjoy!
------------------
HT Pic's
[Edited last by Gary Thomas on November 08, 2001 at 08:39 PM]

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Kelly, Gary gave you some great advise. If you give us a budget we can suggest a few options for you to check out. If you already have 5.1 speakers I too would say to get a DVD and a DD receiver.
Save that Carver so you can power a pair of SVS CS's.
------------------
Rich G.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'd say replace the Bose and get a good sub before doing just about anything else. IMHO, if you want to feel "immersed" in the movie this is the only way to go!
Brian
------------------

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I am another person on the "Speakers first" side of the fence. You speakers make your hometheater experience. All the sound from any receiver, dvd, etc... must come from the speakers. I just don't think your bose are doing your ears any justice. For a first upgrade I would have to start with the speakers, not the receiver.

Kelly

Grip
I have not really established a budget. I want quality, but with as little spending as possible. I was thinking about getting the receiver and sub and they will be about $1500 (combined). The problem is how much to spend on the speakers. Can I get really good sounding speakers for less than $2k. This is about all that I can justify and probably only one item at a time. There would probably be some time between items while saving. That is why I want to make as much impact as possible with the first purchases.
[Edited last by Kelly on November 09, 2001 at 03:45 PM]

Bob_Hammond

Agent
I think that you'll get your best bang for the buck with a new receiver first. If your current one is only pro logic, DD and DTS will blow it away.
Look at the Outlaw for $500. I have one and love it. I would get that and a DVD player first, followed by either a cheap sub (Sony WM40 is a favorite) or an expensive one (SVS) depending on how much money you have left, and then upgrade the speakers.
Bob

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Kelly, quality sound is 90% speakers and room acoustics. Base your upgrades with this in mind to get the most bang for your buck. Ascend Acoustic has a very well recieved HT package for $1100 I believe it is. It includes HSU VTF2 sub. I personally have all Paradigms, Studio 20s as mains, Studio CC center, Atoms as surrounds with an HSU VTF2 sub and an Onkyo 595 receiver. Cost just about $2000 and I am very happy with it. The bottom line is you can put together a very nice HT system for $2000. The place to start by auditioning as many speakers as you can to find a sound that pleases YOU. Speaker preference is very subjective, so what I like may not sound good to you and visa versa. Get good main speakers and build around them, they are the heart of your HT system. Enjoy.
Regards, Nick

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Speakers to consider:
energy take 5.2
ascend acoustics
home theater direct
edge audio
acoustic research
All have packages that are a major improvement over the bose, and can be had for under $1200.
The Hsu VTF2 sub is a great sub at $500 as are the SVS subs.
The only problem with the SVS is that you really need a parametric eq or subsonic filter to keep them from bottoming out. My experience with a passive 16-46 is that it's not hard to bottom it out with moderate volume levels and lots of LFE. Just my opinion and something to consider.
I would also look at denon (my fav), outlaw or onkyo for a receiver. You can do this for $500-$800.
Pick up a DVD player for around 200 and you have a complete system for around $2200.

DanP

Agent
Get your hands on a DD/DTS receiver and a DVD player. Watching a movie like The Perfect Storm (and most any other, really) that way will blow away watching it via cable tv and in Pro Logic even with your current speaker system.

Vin

Supporting Actor
What is the biggest need that I have with my setup? What will make the most noticable improvement to what I hear?
Without a doubt, a DD/DTS receiver and a DVD player are must haves as the foundation for any HT, IMO. A quality sub is the icing on the cake. After integrating these items into your system you'll be surprised at how much better your current speakers sound. Of course, you'll eventually want to replace those too.
Take you time and shop around for the best prices....after all that's at least half of the fun of it!
Good luck,
Vin

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Well, for $1,500, I'd go for the Ascend/HSU package for $1,100 and either the Denon AVR-1802 or Onkyo TX-DS595 for around $400. That would give you an immediate speaker/sub/receiver upgrade. Good luck!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Speaker guys-
What good will a great set of speakers do you if you can't even enjoy DD/DTS on them? She mentioned she still only had pro-logic.
Get the receiver first, you already have 5.1/2 (since the bose sub is only half a sub). The step up from prologic to DD/DTS is the biggest upgrade.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
In order to experience that big sound, you will need to replace both the receiver (prologic) and the speakers.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
if you dont want to go with that Ascend package (which is a good deal), go look at some Paradigms. you can pick up a pair of Monitor 7 towers and a CC-370 for about $1000 and add a pair of Atoms for surrounds (i think they're ~$200/pr, but i'm not sure). then you can grab an SVS 25-31CS and use the Carver to power it. add an Onkyo 595 ($359 from J&R) and you come in at almost $2000 even with a KILLER DD/DTS system!
you can also look a little lower on the Paradigm ladder than the Monitor 7 towers to save some $$. with a $2K budget for a new receiver and 5.1 speakers, this is the way to go IMO.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
To me, the speakers are the bottleneck in the system. It doesn't matter how good the electronics are, if the speakers are crap your system will still sound like crap. If you buy a DD/DTS receiver and DVD player first then you'll have 5 discrete channels of crap. But if you buy quality speakers first you'll have speakers that will sound really good regardless of the mode (2 channel, DPL, etc.).
Of course, if you upgrade all the electronics first then save the speakers for last it'll help you realize just how crappy the original speakers were in the first place. But my system is used for 2 channel audio as well so I built my speaker system first and went with the receiver last. Of course I did get a DVD player in the middle, but it also doubles as a CD player. :)
Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Brian,
I disagree. With great speakers and a crappy receiver, you still have a crappy sound and you still don't have DD/DTS. I would rather have crappy sound in DD then crappy sound in pro logic. Point is, she needs both, but personally, I feel the bose system will be fine for now until another upgrade is in order. I respect your opinion though, mine just differs a little. BUt we both agree that an upgrade in both areas are needed so whatever.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Gary has offered some serious bang for your buck choices. Might I add the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema speakers? I think the whole set with a kickass sub is $799. Probably the best speakers at that price you'll ever hear.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Yes, The Procinema speakers are the best sat/sub system I ever heard but it's not $799. It's more like $1300 w/sub. You can find them used though for arround $799. In fact, I am thinking about upgrading to larger Paradigms and selling my Procinema speakers so if you are interested send me an email.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks