What's new

Help me build my HT room (1 Viewer)

mx4lifeis350

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
Hello guys

Well im moving to a much bigger place and will be having a dedicated theater room. I have one now but its the small room in my small crapy trailer. About 7x7 or smaller. My new place is about 1600 sq ft compared to my 500 sq ft place right now. More then enough space for my wife,dog and me.... no kids thankfully. My new room will be about 11x11. Not sure, but some wear around that.

I want to make it a pretty hard core theater... well something in the upper echelon of low budget if that makes any sense.

This is what i currently have:

40" Samsung 6 series LED HDTV. Might migrate to living room and replaced with projector in a year or more... hopefully.

PS3 for games and Blue ray

Yamaha RXV465BL 5.1 receiver. 105 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (1k Hz) at 0.9% THD.Upgradable to 7.1. All the HD decoders needed.

2 Sony tower speakers.Model: SSF5000
2 Sony surround speakers. Model: SSB1000
1 Sony center speaker. Model: SSCN5000
1 100w Sony sub. Model: SAW2500
1 crapy futon that desperately needs replacement.

These speakers are not top of the line but a good $4-500 bucks were spent on them so its unlikely the wife who does not care for my man cave will allow an upgrade anytime soon.

Heres my initial plan for the room.

Paint: Likely a really dark wine color accented by black likely.
Carpet: Later hope to replace it with some kind of a black dotted carpet.
Futon: Later to be replaced with a leather love seat at least. Hopefully a
dedicated reclining theater furniture couch (google it) that will sit at
least 4.
Want to remove the roof fan. Will hang a... how do i explain this.... a piece of fine wood, painted with some kind of design and about 2 feet smaller then the room in all directions. Hanging from the corners about 6 inches from roof with ambient lighting behind it.

Big cherry red trim along the top and in the corners going down to the floor from Home Depot. The kind you see on the stand alone chimney now days.

On the walls i plan on looking for some nice wall paper. I will cut it into 2x4 squares and put them on the walls. Then small trim from Home Depot will be places around it to make it look like a poster. Kind of a cheap short cut to posters or expensive paintings.

Here is a link to what i am kind of shooting for but in a much ... cheaper way. http://www.home-theater-design-conce...QYNDQodQFlO1w#

Here is were you guys come in. Please help me get the most out of it.

I need to know what kind of speaker wire to use. How to hide it. What if any, acoustic sound stuff on the walls should i use? Is there such thing as acoustic paint? Do i need to invest on the things i see online like Bass catcher and all that stuff?

Keep in mind this is another trailer so the walls are not even sheet rock. Might upgrade to sheet rock later and can insulate at that point with acustic foam or something.. just not sure if its worth it or how much it cost.

Help with small details that people tend to overlook. Please help me and i welcome more design ideas but want to focus like i said, on things that people usually neglect that are cheap.

Also unlike the link were they hide the AV stuff, mine will likely sit on a AV rack or something under the TV.. any ideas?

What to do with the 1 window in the room?What could i do with the closet in the room?

My biggest problem right now is if i decide to somehow have the AV stuff far away from the TV how to run such long HDMI and specially how to hang or place the center speaker..

Edit: speaker towers and such thing too.When i upgrade to 7.1 should i a) buy 2 more of the surround speakers or b) buy 2 more towers for side surround and move my current bookshelf surround speakers to rear surround?

BusbyGreg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Hey glad to hear they're more people out there that know the the audio portion of your home theater is very important.

I have been dealing with audio/video for a long time and your LED TV is sweet. So if u have any further question let me know.

Your Yamaha 465 receiver is very good Entry level receiver but when they mention (Upgrade to 7.1) they mean buy an additional receiver...
The only formats that do 7.1 are TruHD and DTS-HD. (It can only be passed via HDMI) and (only Bluray Supports it right now)

If you are willing to buy new speakers and a receiver i would Highly recommend a Denon 790 receiver. ( its 7.1 or 5.1 with second Zone and supports TruHD and DTS-HD) and for your speakers I would go with Polk or Klipsch. It seems like you like the tower sound and look so i would go with the Polk Tsi300's (around $400 a pair) the CS10 (Center Channel) ($180) and maybe some T15's($100) or if u want a little higher quality Tsi100's ($200) and another pair of either for your 7.1 solution and as far as your LFE speaker (SUB) you can go anyway with that.

Receiver $449
Tower $400
Surround Side $200
Surround Back $200
Center CH $180
LFE (SUB) $250
Total $1680 and that will get you a middle range to high end home theater system

A little tip as far as you new LED TV goes. Samsung uses what’s called "edge lit" lighting source to light their 6000 LED, so you may notice what’s called Haloing, or Led Leaking, a good way to eliminate this is what’s called an ISF TV Calibration. It will dramatically increase you picture clarity and longevity of you new LED. Below is a link with some good info about it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Geek+Squad%26%23174%3B+-+TV+Calibration/8586559.p?id=1190677437119&skuId=8586559&st=7896832&cp=1&lp=1

I hope this helped... if you have any other question feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks