What's new

Dedicated HT, speaker suggestions (1 Viewer)

rvspinx

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Clendenin
I have a pretty big dedicated home theater in my basement (at least it seems pretty large to me) that I am working on as time/budget allows. I have already purchased and installed the projector - Epson 5040UB and next on the list will be speakers.

Unfortunately the builder put all speaker pre-wiring in the ceiling so I am stuck with either attempting to run new wiring, build false walls, or find the best in-ceiling options I can. I was looking at Definitive Technologies RCS II speakers but not sure if there is something better that I have been unable to find on the google. I have seen these on sale occasionally for $400 a speaker which is about what I'm willing to spend (sub $3k for all 7 if I can).

For reference the room is 25x35x9. Including some pictures of the projector if it helps. (I will be capping that dome light btw)
I have no screen yet, I have to decide how I want to handle that as well.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have one suggestion. Just do NOT use in-ceiling speakers. At least not with the front three. Find another solution. Snake wires from where they are in the ceiling and into the front wall, on the front wall, anything other than in-ceiling speakers. In-ceiling surrounds are at least acceptable, but not in the front.

Grimly

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Chane speakers get a lot of good reviews at a different forum I go to, they have a free shipping option but the charge for a retune if I remember right, SVS also has a good rep for there speakers an very good customer service. RSL speakers have free shipping and returns also I have never heard them but I have seen good reviews of there speakers. Ascend Acoustics also has some nice options for that price but shipping cost both ways, at a very reduced cost though. There are a lot of options for a $400 dollar speaker. best in my opinion to try the ones with free returns first or a least low cost returns so that you can find a speaker set you like.

Grimly

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Also check out the Kef Q100 and Q300 they can be bought at amazon so if you have a prime account I don't think they would mind returning them if you don't like them.

rvspinx

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Clendenin
So I have decided to use the pre-existing in ceiling locations as atmos drops and will instead run speaker cable through some crown molding and do in wall instead. That will also allow me to install some LED strips for ambiance lighting as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why do you want to eliminate 98% of the speakers available by limiting yourself to in-wall ones? If you're going to all this trouble, why cripple yourself?

rvspinx

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Clendenin
Why do you want to eliminate 98% of the speakers available by limiting yourself to in-wall ones? If you're going to all this trouble, why cripple yourself?
Hmm.. it just seemed like it would be a "cleaner" install, at least aesthetically to use in walls. So I guess on-walls now in the mix. Luckily I haven't done anything else yet with the exception of building an inwall cabinet for my components so all the real equipment is still to be decided.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks