What's new

What's happening to dts (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Although most cinema sound systems are either complete crap and/or setup wrong, and/or have incompetant people controlling them, in the better equipped and managed theaters I have been able to hear a difference in DTS vs. DD formats.

To me, DD has a more brittle and digital sounding high frequency range (same with SDDS), which I can usually pick out quickly. DTS sounds smoother and more detailed. I also used to work as a projection manager at a new, local theater with both DTS and DD equipped theaters and JBL's top of the line THX speakers and the same THX certified amps, and misc. equipment installed in all theaters (many auditoriums were very similar in dimensions and seating too) and used to watch the same movies in different formats. DTS usually sounded better to me.

However, now that I have my own DTS-ES Discrete and DD EX equipped home theater (hoping to some day have a dedicated room) I find that I really don't care what sound format (SDDS, DTS, or Dolby Digital) I hear the film in. If I like the movie I wait in anticipation to be able to listen to it with a well done DTS or DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack (if at all probable depending on the studio) on my equipment at home. 80% of the theaters I've been to have lousy presentations anyway.

Dan

P.S. If Dolby is behind this DTS bashing/bad mouthing scheme then they really are low to stoop to such tactics. Any company, for that matter, who operates in this manner should not be in business.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
If Dolby is behind this DTS bashing/bad mouthing scheme then they really are low to stoop to such tactics. Any company, for that matter, who operates in this manner should not be in business.
Well, I think both companies can share enough of the blame for that.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Claiming it's impossible or unfair to compare DTS/DD on DVD because they're compressed differently is a facile argument. We're talking about what you HEAR on the DISC, not what you'd hear if you had a huge incredibly expensive HT setup with a direct line to the studios to get uncompressed masters.

We're talking about DVD the product, the format, the discs we all own and listen to.

On those discs, the over 250 I have on my shelf, I rarely notice any differences between DD/DTS. I've heard others echo or voice the same opinion. People who know more about the science of sound than me have compared the formats (as they appear on DVD) and proclaimed, with the aid of charts, graphs, and an easel, they're remarkably non-different.

What does any of this prove? Dunno, but damn who wants pie?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks