What's happening to dts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Bledsoe, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Mike Bledsoe

Mike Bledsoe Stunt Coordinator

I know what is happening in the rest of the country but here in Chicago there seems to be a plan to ride the theaters of the dts format. There's this lie coming from somewhere at the top of things that is telling theater managers that the dolby digital format is far supiereor to dts(Theater managers don't know dolby digital from stereo). Anyone who has ever read the specs from both formats knows that dts is far lest compressed than dolby digital and therefor far more dynamic. The dolby camp apparantly has some powerful friends in high places that are trying to wipe out dts. One more things why don't the studios put out dvds with only a dts sound track on them? With all of the extras on the discs it is impossible to get all of the information from a dts sound track on the discs. Are there any comments on this subject?

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

3. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

It's sad for me to say, but I think DTS was already run out of the game. I haven't heard much about any previous installations being taken out and replaced, but there are certainly many, many more Dolby Digital setups in theaters built in the last few years. Part of the boom in theater construction was to have digital sound in all auditoriums, and I'm guessing it was cheaper and easier to go with Dolby Digital equipment.

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

In addition to Mark's quote from FAQ, there's also a problem (and warning on DTS DVD) that playing DTS on non DTS equipment will damage your equipment, if all DVDs are DTS only, the manufacturers are basically putting a self imposed market share limit on their release (non DTS equipment consumers need not apply), that will never happen.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Steve's point is also why many of your DTS editions (The Jurassic Parks for instance) default to the dolby surround track. If the viewer got the wrong copy and doesn't have a DTS setup, he'll damage his equipment by playing DTS only.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Having worked with DTS theatre equipment since it came out, I have to say that it's a VERY inconvenient format compared to Dolby. Several times films have come without the DTS discs, which means the film has to play in analog until they come (which involves calling around to get them). Trailers are difficult too- although they put out a disc with the sound for trailers every week, often some trailers are left off of it, and if a brand-new trailer comes in it most likely won't be on the discs. Dolby Digital has the soundtrack right there on the film, so those problems are nonexistant.
    Keep in mind that a large percentage of people working at theatres don't know what they're doing, so I imagine DTS is an even bigger problem with them- I've heard of people too lazy to put the discs in!

7. Mike Bledsoe

Well thanks guys for all the input on this most serious subject. The really bad thing about this thing is that it use to be a real treat to go to the the movies because since you knew that unless you had a laser disc player, which I don't you would always get something special from the cinemas but since I have a really good system at home I can always get the same dolby exsperience at home and sometimes better. The point I am making is what will be the point of going to the movies, If I can equal that at home?

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The big advantage of Dolby Digital is that the coded audio is printed onto the film (between the sprocket holes to be exact). There's no CD-ROMs to deal with. As others have pointed out, this is a major practical consideration that has nothing to do with the technical quality.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well some people don't anymore, Ron-P is example of a regular here who waits for DVD in all but the most extreme cases.

Personally, I still think the cinema gives you something special that the HT doesn't. You just can't match a 40' screen in your home, and the audience generally enhances the viewing. Cinema is a social gathering. HT is simply recreation.

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I agree with Adam on that sidebar about theater vs. home.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Personally, I still think the cinema gives you something special that the HT doesn't. You just can't match a 40' screen in your home, and the audience generally enhances the viewing. Cinema is a social gathering. HT is simply recreation.

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

We should start taking those Super Soaker squirt guns to the theater and treat the heathens like you treat a cat that acts up.
    Ring
    squiiirrrrrttt
    What did he say?
    squiiiiissshhhh
    [​IMG]

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

BTW, that has absolutely nothing to do with DTS at all. :b

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Has anyone ever seen a film in both DTS and DD in the same theater? I distinctly remember seeing Planet of the Apes in DD, and then in DTS in a different screen in the same theater, and not being able to tell the difference.

16. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

A friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous, but he knows who he is) is involved with the sound aspect of commercial movie theaters. He told me that Gary Reber of Widescreen Review, perhaps the number one booster of DTS, participated in a listening test, where he compared an uncompressed film soundtrack with its theatrical DD and DTS releases. Of course, it was in the same theater, rendering any "theater wasn't good enough" complaint moot. The KEY part is that Gary didn't know which format (DD or DTS) he was listening to when he was comparing.
    As often happens in a blind comparison, the "obviously better" format wasn't picked. Gary Reber, DTS booster extraordinaire, thought DD sounded better. [​IMG] :b :p)

18. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

quote:
    -----------------------------------
    Anyone who has ever read the specs from both formats knows that dts is far lest compressed than dolby digital and therefor far more dynamic.
    -----------------------------------
    Less compression doesn't automatically translate into better sound.

------------------------------------------------------------

That's right! When will people open their eyes and realize that these formats use different algorithm altogether which makes the "less compression" argument moot?

19. Mike Bledsoe

This is all very interesting but I have to say again that the only thing that the movies theaters can give me now is a bigger screen and the social atmosphere. I also agree that the dts movie/dvd's sound depends on how it was mixed. Movie/dvd that uses the same exacting measures in both formats will have dts sounding better

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul