What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And if you don't have one, get a meat thermometer ASAP!

Pork (especially thin chops) are easy to overcook and become dry.

I was cooking turkey burgers last night and my meat thermometer stopped working. :angry: I didn't wreck them though. :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I’ve been cooking for a long time and I still use one.

We’re allowed to have pork cooked to 145 degrees again! For the longest time, the FDA recommended 165 over contamination concerns and in recent years they’ve dialed it back a little. It’s nice to have the green light to have it not completely dried out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Josh! I’ll have to look for those seasonings you mentioned. I usually do a weekly salmon pan fry and use a little sugar and a lemon and pepper seasoning from McCormick. That’s what my mom told me to do and it’s great. So I’ll see if I can find a combination that works for the pork.

Thanks for the suggestion to get a meat thermometer Mike! I need one for sure! I might have gotten really lucky tonight.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The meat thermometer is the single tool I credit the most with helping me drastically improve my cooking. I can't imagine why I never had one until a few years ago. Simple device that takes so much guessing out of the equation.

Good luck, Nelson! I need it too. I can't cook nearly as well as some of the folks who post here regularly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t know what possessed me. Never doing this again. :) 5F85BDBE-3F20-4D73-A01C-4124CC60C22B.jpeg 35893C76-211A-4221-A09C-924E906CC951.jpeg

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
What’s in the pie? I didn’t grow up with savory pies — had some visiting the UK a couple years ago — so I don’t know them well. (Have learned more watching British baking Competition)

I did not grow up with savory pies either, unless you count the little Swanson's chicken pot pies LOL.

The pie I made has rapini, hot Italian sausage, garlic, ricotta, Parmigiana Reggiano, sharp provolone cheese and hot capicola. The dough is richer than American pie dough; it has eggs, and both butter and and lard, making it very tender and savory.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never seen a pie like that before, looks great! And so nicely sliced and pulled out. Like in a cooking demo. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We make a "Cheeseburger Pie" which has a similar looking crust (though not quite as thick) that's made with pre-packaged crescent roll dough.

I absolutely love "savory" pies... We've made our own Chicken Pot Pie for decades and that Cheeseburger Pie is a favorite as well. It's much better than that frozen stuff, although I loved those individual frozen pies in HS/college and just about lived on them for a time (they were very inexpensive - 4/$1 when I was in college).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did some comfort-food cooking today.

Made a toasted bagel sandwich for lunch. I realized that I miss having these from living in Rochester and having bagel places around.
FFA68A17-513F-4076-90B5-573B0F68AE23.jpeg C5B6D6E0-D31C-4E7A-8D52-63737905E391.jpeg
Oatmeal cherry cookies cooked for the office. I’ve been taking cookies and brownies to the office for much of the past six months as way to enjoy cooking on the weekend, not have to eat all the cookies myself ;) and hopefully boost office morale a little bit.
2F09523B-6E6E-402E-940D-774705A35920.jpeg
And for dinner, classic meatloaf and instant pot mac & cheese.
42F43B0E-7906-44D9-B9B3-DCDE4A993816.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is a favorite. It’s pretty fast and easy, tasty but not especially high calorie.

Chicken Breasts with Garlic and Parsley
★★★★
Dinners, Poultry
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 5 min | Total Time: 30 min | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 4

Description:
In France, the classic way of cooking frog's legs is to dredge them in flour, saute them over high heat in oil and butter and finish them with garlic and parsley and some fresh lemon juice. I've replaced the frog's legs with cubs of chicken breast. Make sure that you dry the cubes well with paper towels before you season them, and don't dredge them in the flour until just before sauteing. Finely milled Wondra flour will give you the crispest coating on the chicken; substitute all-purpose if you must. If possible, prepare this dish in a 12-inch skillet (preferably nonstick), which is large enough to accommodate the chicken in one layer.

Ingredients:
3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1" to 1 ½" cubes
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:
Dry the chicken cubes with paper towels.
Toss chicken cubes with flour, salt, pepper in bowl.
Heat oil in 12-inch non-stick skillet over high heat until very hot but not smoking.
Add chicken cubes and cook in one layer, turning occasionally, for about 3 ½ minutes.
Meanwhile, combine garlic and parsley in small bowl.
Deglaze with white wine.
Add butter and parsley mixture into skilled and saute for 1 minute, shaking skillet to coat chicken.
Serve immediately.

Source: Fast Food My Way

Attachments

• 5E34CAA5-B33A-479C-B1FE-09249E0CE6AE.jpeg
    5E34CAA5-B33A-479C-B1FE-09249E0CE6AE.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks