What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t even know you could microwave Rice a Roni.

I used to make it a lot with pork chops in my first college off-campus apartment. Eventually I started to render out the extra pork fat from the chops and use that instead of butter/margarine for cooking the rice.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Made this Roman-Style Fettuccine With Alfredo Sauce recipe, which is pasta with butter and cheese tonight, and it was a success. It's a resonable compromise between the great flavor of American cream-based alfredo and something that's not 1000 calories in a serving. This is also fast and easy, give or take the time to grate the cheese.

I used Grana Padano aged 16-18 months, since the good quality Parmigiano-Reggiano at my grocery store is aged 24+ months, and the recipe wants a younger cheese for a sweeter flavor.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From what I’ve seen, all these viral videos of “easy” recipes are fake. :)

So not rushing to try that one. I’ve got my own easy fake-lasagna recipe that’s awesome. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

So not rushing to try that one. I’ve got my own easy fake-lasagna recipe that’s awesome. :)
Me too... although I'd not call it "awesome" - simply pretty good. Much better than you'd expect a frozen lasagna to taste and as good as some I've had in restaurants.
1620143759680.png

Yes, frozen Lasagna. It's surprisingly good. Not as good as my own home made but good enough we'll use it most of the time due to the easy of "preparation" and that it's significantly less expensive than my home made. It absolutely scratches that lasagna itch.

questrider

Premium
Real Name
Brian

This kid on YouTube tries a lot of these viral videos to see if they're real and/or if they're even any good if they are real. He's been doing it for many years so he's quite entertaining at it. Here he is doing that Honeycomb Pasta abomination (starts at 3:54).

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is my go-to lasagna-like pasta dish. Makes 8-12 servings, freezes and reheats well.

Spaghetti Bake
★★★★★
Dinners, Pasta
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 1 1/2 hours | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 8

Ingredients:
8 ounces angel hair spaghetti, cooked and drained
1 pound ground beef, browned
28 ounces pasta sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
24 ounces ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
¾ cup shredded Romano cheese, divided

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F

Combine hot cooked spaghetti with butter; stir until it coats spaghetti. Add ½ cup Parmesan cheese; stir to coat.

Add pasta sauce to browned, drained ground beef. Heat until bubbly.

Arrange spaghetti in an even layer in 9"x13"x2" baking pan (line with foil or grease, if needed).

Spread ricotta cheese over spaghetti. Sprinkle with ½ cup Romano and ¼ cup Parmesan cheeses.

Spoon beef and sauce mixture over cheeses. Top with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with remaining Romano and Parmesan cheeses.

Cover with non-stick foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Source: From Aunt Dee, modified by DaveF

Nutrition Information:
470 calories per 10 oz serving

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, ever since the pandemic has had us home, I have not had a pizza. Several years ago, I had made my own pizza dough and pizzas. I only made it a few times. So I wanted to try again. It took some time, but yeast was really hard to find as I mentioned many pages ago. I finally got some.

Here was my first attempt after not having done it so long. It turned out OK. But now I have to try again to improve my technique with the dough and the cooking time and toppings. I used an old Wolfgang Puck pizza dough recipe that’s pretty easy.
D59FF22C-3336-4E47-BDD0-958F942473FD.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My wife uses a Bobby Flay "simple" dough recipe. I think it needs just a bit more salt but once toppings go on you don't notice unless you eat the edge crust with no sauce/toppings (guess that could be cured by a butter/olive oil and garlic salt wash, eh?)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Howie, I just looked up the Bobby Flay recipe. Looks very similar to the Wolfgang recipe. Wolfgang uses honey instead of sugar and a slight difference in the amount of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbadave
Recent bookmarks