What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m a crazy person because I decided to make a new addition to the plate like four hours ago and have it on the stove now. If it comes out, I’ll describe it, if it fails, it’ll never be spoken of again :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Spatchcocking and dry brining the turkey
63A6C2A3-9B59-4F30-81AD-1E6522AD90E8.jpeg 4A88D7A0-D8D4-4C50-8DE3-BB8C31DD0D78.jpeg 00AA787D-05D1-4F90-A000-A283C619EA42.jpeg C2E7E980-C54F-436F-A9D5-187C4E01C6F5.jpeg B93D7244-8F58-43D0-930B-0C3B0DCD4720.jpeg 32C29F7F-2AA7-4139-9D71-ABCE43C1810A.jpeg F087DBCE-D10B-4243-A505-02E3D5A2A6B1.jpeg B8CEC0FC-454D-44EB-98A7-E0F4475AD13E.jpeg 346AE630-F4DC-4821-BBAF-4FA188BFC8BC.jpeg F7520DAF-FDD0-4407-89EE-35F27F3090A1.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Got over half of prep done tonight. In particular I made the rolls tonigh. Unfortunately, I’m not impressed with them. I may jam in another rolls recipe tomorrow.

Otherwise, tomorrow I have to do turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes. Which is a pretty full morning of cooking.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When I was a kid all through my first post-college decade, Thanksgiving was indisputably my father's holiday. The day was more or less traditional (at least, regionally traditional), beginning with Alice's Restaurant on the radio early in the afternoon (and "The Last Waltz" on TV later in the day) as all sorts of sides were assembled to complement the main bird, which would have been carefully chosen and ordered in advance, and prepared with whatever trend was in vogue at the time (there were the spatchcocking years, the brining years, the smoking years, etc). Family would gather round the table, and even though my parents were divorced, my mother and stepfather were always invited and often joined in. Dinner was usually around 6pm, so as to allow us non-morning folk to work up an appetite during the day, while also allowing the elderly guests to depart by 8pm.

The main meal was always a delight, and my father always outdid himself balancing must-have traditions with new experiments, and I always did the mashed potatoes. No one can quite remember when I started doing them, but long after I moved out, my little brother would start calling me in the days before the holiday to make sure that I was still planning on doing them.

But the real fun was always after the main meal. When the family left, that's when the friends would start pouring in. For my brothers and I, especially as we got older and friends started moving away to college or post-college careers, Thanksgiving was one of the few times when everyone would come back to town at the same time, and most of them celebrated earlier in the day than we did. So a second tradition was born, wherein friends new and old, some we'd see all the time, some we'd only see this one day a year, would pile in. We'd always put an old movie on the TV, the kind of thing you could pay attention to when you wanted to, but no one would be upset if you talked, because it was more about being together than watching TV -- the choice was usually a Sean Connery 007 because we had all seen them enough but also still enjoyed them enough that it just always worked. And then, my dad would go into the kitchen and start making turkey and gravy sandwiches on fresh rolls while the movie started, and at some point, trays or paper plates filled with sandwiches would start appearing.

But nothing lasts forever, and for a multitude of reasons, that tradition came to an end several years ago. This year, I'm doing a small gathering, and I wanted to make turkey without doing a full bird - not enough space, not enough people, not enough interest in having turkey as many days in a row as making the full bird would entail. Last year, I hosted a similar small gathering and made turkey cutlets with a madiera wine reduction for the white meat, and empanadas stuffed with shredded leg meat and gravy for the dark meat, and that was a great success. But I didn't feel like doing empanadas two years in a row, and with my dad and my youngest brother both coming this year, I wanted to do something in addition to the turkey cutlets to pay tribute to those wonderful years we had at our old house. I also know that no one will be staying late enough for there to be midnight turkey sandwiches.

Around 6am this morning, the brainstorm hit, and I ran off to the store hoping I wasn't too late. I snatched up some giant turkey drumsticks, some onions, leeks, herbs and stock, and rushed home. Seasoned the turkey, browned it in a dutch oven, removed it temporarily, browned the onions and leeks, added back the turkey, added stock and wine and herbs, and I let those monsters braise at a low simmer for 12 hours. I just tasted the meat and it's the most tender and flavorful turkey I've ever had - it's as if it radiates gravy from the inside. Shredded it, picked out all the bones, and put it in the fridge soaking in that wine and stock reduction. I also bought a bunch of slider buns, and this afternoon, as everyone arrives, I'll serve little dark meat turkey sliders while they wait on the main event. A nice throwback to years past an a slightly new way.

And I'm definitely braising turkey legs again like this, because it's unbelievable - like I said, it's as if the gravy has been somehow beamed inside the meat, so that when you bite into it, it's a complete turkey-and-gravy mouthful in one tasting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here’s most of my thanksgiving cooking, plus the ever-optimistic scavenger. Turkey was good, rolls were good reheated and slathered with butter. I also whipped up some buttermilk drop biscuits. Mashed potatoes were grainy, so not my best. And then derby pie and eggnog among other things for dessert. (Also not shown, a Moscow Mule a friend made me, much appreciated after a long morning of cooking. :) )

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That unit gets poor reviews (Amazon), if it even gets reviews (Wirecutter ignored it), which is probably why it's on clearance sale.

If you're going to try a Sous Vide, I suggest getting a decent one rather than risking buying a cheap piece of junk and having a bad experience.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/
Which one do you have? There’s this one https://smile.amazon.com/Anova-Culi...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Anova-Culi...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Seems like youve’ got one of the Anovas. I wonder if the extra wattage is worth the extra $$?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker | WI-FI + Bluetooth | 900W | Anova App Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHWSV1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_UqlzQWCwTr7Ei

it’s the only one I’ve ever used so I can’t compare the relative benefit of a little more or little less power. I read the reviews and bought one that seemed good and am willing to spend a little more to help guarantee I’ll be happy with what I bought.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker | WI-FI + Bluetooth | 900W | Anova App Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHWSV1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_UqlzQWCwTr7Ei

it’s the only one I’ve ever used so I can’t compare the relative benefit of a little more or little less power. I read the reviews and bought one that seemed good and am willing to spend a little more to help guarantee I’ll be happy with what I bought.
Amazon has a link on your model to a newer version which is the one I bought. $128 minus some Amazon bucks. I’m glad you’re still happy with yours. Looking forward to trying it out.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I like the sound of the parchment paper version. I don't know if my wife's tried that method or not (probably has - she tried several before settling on her current method).

She currently gets aluminum foil (normally using heavy duty foil), accordion folds it, puts it in an edged (i.e. sheet cake) pan, lays the bacon across the folds, and bakes it at 400 degrees until it's done. She pours off the fat into a glass jar for later use. The bacon comes out almost perfectly flat and you can get it all crisp with no "raw" fat parts. I like my bacon crisp - all of it. If the fat isn't crisped I don't touch it. My grandson likes it about half cooked. She can do both easily with this method as she just takes his out early and puts the rest back in to finish cooking. When she does this she'll cook several packages and just puts them in the fridge or freezer for later use. It reheats very easily - either in a skillet, the oven, or, if you're in a hurry, the microwave (just takes a few seconds).

This method works so well for her that I know I'd use it too. Less mess and easy clean up with the flat bacon I prefer, all without resorting to a press to get similar results in a skillet.

We purchase *only* Wright Hickory Smoked bacon. We love the thicker slices and the way it cooks up. Excellent stuff.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find that there is no one perfect method of cooking bacon for me - sometimes I want crispier bacon and there are better ways for that, and sometimes I want chewier bacon and there are better ways for that.

I don’t love the oven methods in practice because of my smaller kitchen - I hate to preheat and turn on the oven just to make one small thing when a stovetop will do, especially if I’m already using one burner. I’ve done the baked on parchment thing and it’s admittedly pretty good, but — then you’re preheating the oven for 10+ minutes and cooking for another 20. Meanwhile, I could make and prepare a batch of pancakes and bacon on the stove in half that time. It’s not necessarily great time management in my case.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

What have you cooked with the Anova besides the obvious steak? Also, what happens when you’ve got two steaks, one to be rare and the other to be medium rare?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So I opened up the Anova and got it connected to my wifi. I looked at the recipe for a medium-rare rib-eye. It will take two hours. However, I see nothing in the menu to take into account the thickness of the steak. Won’t the thickness alter the required cooking time?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t know what a reverse sear is. :)

The instructions should say what the thickness of steak expected for the cook is. If not, google it. Or check the Anova forums. Sous vide is Sous vide, and there’s a lot of info and recipes online.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve never done it but a reverse sear is where you begin the steak in the oven to bring it to temperature, and then put it on a grill or hot pan at the very end to get that high heat cooking to make a crust. (As opposed to starting on the grill or pan and then finishing in the oven.)

I generally do my steaks in a cast iron pan so it’s usually a one step process for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks