What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Happy St. Patrick's Day all! Last week I snagged a grass-fed beef brisket from a high-end purveyor and I corned it for 6 days. I braised it yesterday and let it rest in the liquid refrigerated overnight. This is the best corned beef I have ever had. I was very careful to cook the vegetables to just cooked through, to avoid the soggy, mushy vegetables that so often come with corned beef. Corned beef is an investment of time, but is mostly hands off. I used the Cook's Illustrated recipe from 2016.

View attachment 56532

Did you use that pink brining/salt stuff? (Can't remember the name)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Did you use that pink brining/salt stuff? (Can't remember the name)

Yes, pink salt, sodium nitrite. It took only a half-teaspoon in a gallon of water to make the beef stay that vivid pink color. My understanding is that it binds with the myoglobin and retains the color. There is bad press about nitrites, but with home corned beef the amount per serving is very low.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So it’s 1am and I’m about to watch Star Trek Discovery and I suddenly have a hankering for pork chops with vinegar peppers and garlic bread.

And now it’s 2am, I have those things, and I can watch TV now!

Not a great pic, tastes much better than it looks, but doesn’t even look that bad for a late night rush job:

157D1141-AAF0-46A7-B4FB-4477AB9EFDDC.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't know about that. I absolutely do not like pork chops. Never have. I'd eat the peppers and bread and leave the chops on the plate.

In all fairness there are few pork products I do like. A *good* smoked bone-in ham that's been cooked sloooow all night, country sausage (patties - no "breakfast" links), sausages in general (mostly Bratwurst but also Anduille and Chorizo), and bacon (but it doesn't like me - I get heartburn if I eat too much, but I do love a good BLT on toasted bread). You can keep the rest.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Got back from my walk to the supermarket just before the downpour started.

Gonna make some center cut pork chops on my grill pan and serve with an arugula and cherry tomato salad with a lemon vinaigrette. And then I will introduce my wife to Deep Space Nine.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have the house to myself this weekend. I think I will fry things.
I have natural gas out to the patio. Along with a BBQ I have a converted Camp Chef stove that I use for messy frying tasks. No need to dirty the inside of the house this way. I use a large cast iron frypan to make deep fried Vienna Schnitzel etc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's what they do in Malaysia. There's a separate cooking area for frying and deep frying.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Slow cooked baby back ribs and brisket all day (while watching 1776), now sitting down to watch Stranger Things with dinner and the wife.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanksgiving 2019 - What's Cooking?

I did my basic menu prep today. Links where available.
  • Turkey (Spatchcocked, Dry Brine and Oven Roast)
  • Mashed Potatoes (ATK Cooking School p104) and Turkey Gravy
  • Rolls
  • Macaroni & Cheese (ATK Cooking School p148) or (PioneerWoman)
  • Can Corn
  • Green bean Casserole (Friends)
  • Stuffing (Friends)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Doing an extremely scaled back version this year, by design. Last year it was just me, my wife, my mom, my dad and stepmom. I have a tiny kitchen and none of the guests were big eaters, and I had to work the day before, so I tried to come up with something that was delicious, felt like Thanksgiving, reflected a little bit of my wife’s Puerto Rican heritage and was fun.

I guess I didn’t take a picture but here’s what we had then:
-Sautéed Turkey cutlets in a madeira wine reduction
-Turkey empanadas stuffed with shredded leg meat and gravy
-Mashed potatoes with chives
-Roasted root vegetables
-Corn bread
-Pecan pie for dessert

This worked out great because I could make the turkey gravy and empanadas a few days ahead of time and just bake them the day of. Pecan pie and corn bread done the day or two before. So all I really had to do the day of was season and fry the cutlets, put a tray of vegetables in the oven, and boil and mash potatoes - not so different from a regular dinner in terms of work. Everyone was stuffed and we had a reasonable rather than obscene quantity of leftovers. (That’s a big thing with small apartment cooking...I could easily make a turkey for ten in here, but I don’t want weeks of leftovers. If it’s a great meal, I’ll take one more serving the next day and I’m good. I don’t want it to linger forever.)

This year I’m waiting on a headcount but I think it’ll be a similar size crowd and I’m thinking of making a similar meal. Except this year instead of the empanada, I was thinking about something like an inverted shepherd’s pie, with mashed potatoes forming a little moat for gravy and turkey leg meat..last year the leftover turkey leg meat that sat in the leftover gravy from empanada stuffing was amazing a day later so I was thinking of just cutting to the chase and getting it on the plate as part of the main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks