What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
You need this one:
9105B2mCRKL._SY679_.jpg

61O6uY9ftrL._SX522_.jpg

It's quite good and has a better texture/bite than regular oatmeal (which I love). Aldi's sells a "store brand" that's essentially identical (minor difference - don't recall just what) for a bit less than the Quaker version (if purchased at the grocery store).

I do a "subscribe 'n save" at Amazon - usually runs a bit over $2/box.

I'll have to try that one. Odd they can sell such garbage then have something like this with "real" ingredients. I love steel cut oats, but long cooking time. Looking forward to it.

To add one more comment, go ahead and shoot me, but I have a can of Teriyaki Spam. Having Spam and eggs tomorrow for breakfast. Have no idea why I bought, just caught my eye and I guess I was in a Hawaiian mood and refuse to waste it. If it's awful, the dog will enjoy it :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
To add one more comment, go ahead and shoot me, but I have a can of Teriyaki Spam. Having Spam and eggs tomorrow for breakfast. Have no idea why I bought, just caught my eye and I guess I was in a Hawaiian mood and refuse to waste it. If it's awful, the dog will enjoy it :D
Not going to do it... I LOVE fried Spam and cheese sandwiches (Miracle Whip on white bread - one of those "comfort foods")! BUT - about 15 years back I looked at the nutrition panel. I just can't bring myself to purchase it now. I'll break down every 3-4 years and get some anyway but I always feel guilty eating it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not going to do it... I LOVE fried Spam and cheese sandwiches (Miracle Whip on white bread - one of those "comfort foods")! BUT - about 15 years back I looked at the nutrition panel. I just can't bring myself to purchase it now. I'll break down every 3-4 years and get some anyway but I always feel guilty eating it.
That's the scary part, but surprisingly not as bad as I thought. Certainly not low fat, yet reasonable in small doses. Even the ingredients aren't so bad, not the chemical factory I expected. Physically of course it's weird, not like a sliced deli meat, kind of a chunky, gelatinized texture.

#1 - Pork with ham (kind of an odd description)
#2 - Mechanically separated chicken (that one sounds creepy)

The rest fairly normal except that mystery catch-all "flavoring".

Like you, only every few years. Just get a craving and only one way to get rid of it :D

Miracle Whip? OMG, couldn't pay me to eat that. Maybe a childhood thing, but not a chance <_<

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Tried this and turned out pretty good. A bit dense, but you have to adjust for humidity, the freshness of your flour, etc. A lot of stuff by "feel". So I'm still learning.

Goes stale really fast. Scares me what grocery store bread must add to keep their stuff fresh for a week or more.

Did find my little Kitchen-Aid manual, buried under a pile of bills. I'm terribly unorganized, but to late for that to change :cool:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I grilled some pork chops on Sunday. Everything was going really well, until I discovered late that a grill fire had flared up, and charred the rub on one side of several chops. I also had some issue with a smaller chop reaching temperature sooner than the bigger chop I was watching, leading me to overcook them all a bit.

It wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't as successful as I'd hoped. I'm still learning to err on the side of less done than overdone.
IMG_0989 3.jpg IMG_0990 4.jpg IMG_0991 3.jpg IMG_0992 3.jpg IMG_0993 3.jpg IMG_0994 3.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I grilled some pork chops on Sunday. Everything was going really well, until I discovered late that a grill fire had flared up, and charred the rub on one side of several chops. I also had some issue with a smaller chop reaching temperature sooner than the bigger chop I was watching, leading me to overcook them all a bit.

It wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't as successful as I'd hoped. I'm still learning to err on the side of less done than overdone.
View attachment 47393 View attachment 47394 View attachment 47395 View attachment 47396 View attachment 47397 View attachment 47398
So I’m not the only one to have flare ups. This morning I gave the grill a thorough cleaning. Should be no flare ups today.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So I’m not the only one to have flare ups. This morning I gave the grill a thorough cleaning. Should be no flare ups today.
I think it was the oil on the chop, plus some dripping fat, plus the sugar in the rub that all conspired against me. It's not normally a problem unless I've got some oily marinade.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I go for boneless chops. IIUC the bone makes the chop cook at different times depending upon how close the meat is to the bone. I also use indirect heat for most of the cooking time. My Broil King has four double-burners so I can fiddle with indirect heat zones.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The recipe explicitly calls for bone-in for the flavor. I don’t do pork often so I don’t have good intuition. Burgers I’ve figured out. And boneless chicken I’ve got down thanks to electronic temperature probes.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Bone-In pork chops are the best.
My favorite cut is "pork steaks". Odd cut from the shoulder, a blend of many muscles, but really good. Especially with a sweet glaze like apricot jam, pineapple and tomato thickened into a sauce with corn starch, even old standards like mint jelly, many others, very flexible cut.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We bought this steak at Sam’s called a Cowboy Steak. Out of the bottom there’s about 6” of exposed bone. This steak is about 3” thick and would probably feed 4. How do I cook a steak this thick on the grill?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We bought this steak at Sam’s called a Cowboy Steak. Out of the bottom there’s about 6” of exposed bone. This steak is about 3” thick and would probably feed 4. How do I cook a steak this thick on the grill?
How rare do you like your steak?

You probably want to cook it low and slow to get it heated all the way through, especially with that bone further slowing down the cook. Maybe indirect medium for 20 - 30 min? I'm guessing here. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How rare do you like your steak?

You probably want to cook it low and slow to get it heated all the way through, especially with that bone further slowing down the cook. Maybe indirect medium for 20 - 30 min? I'm guessing here. :)

Low and slow, for sure. Maybe even lower and longer than Dave's suggestion.

I love me a cowboy steak.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Low and slow, for sure. Maybe even lower and longer than Dave's suggestion.

I love me a cowboy steak.
Maybe the reverse sear is the way to go. That’s when the steak is grilled at about 250 until it’s near the desired temp and then gets the sear treatment.

I’ve seen another way to to cook steaks on YouTube where the steak is placed directly on the coals. It’s often referred to as a cowboy grilled steak. Anyone done that?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe the reverse sear is the way to go. That’s when the steak is grilled at about 250 until it’s near the desired temp and then gets the sear treatment.

I’ve seen another way to to cook steaks on YouTube where the steak is placed directly on the coals. It’s often referred to as a cowboy grilled steak. Anyone done that?
The former, yes, should work well.

The latter with a big honkin’ steak will give you a steak that’s charred in the outside and raw on the inside. Unless you’ve got the coals really low.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm still thinking about the pork chops I made last week - I want more pork chops!! :D

I'd never turn down a great cowboy steak, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks