What's new

What's cooking? (2 Viewers)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Anybody have a nice, generic white bread recipe for a Kitchen-Aid mixer?

Made bread about two months ago, good but not great, still learning. Anyhow, misplaced the little cookbook that came with the mixer, recipes designed just for the machine. Ingredient measurements, X amount of time with the paddle, X amount of time with the dough hook. Kind of lazy, why not let a machine do the work :D

I've got a big container of "bread flour" I've been using, no basic "AP", so it's a little different to deal with.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/old-reliable-french-bread-for-kitchen-aid-mixers-52289

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anybody have a nice, generic white bread recipe for a Kitchen-Aid mixer?

Made bread about two months ago, good but not great, still learning. Anyhow, misplaced the little cookbook that came with the mixer, recipes designed just for the machine. Ingredient measurements, X amount of time with the paddle, X amount of time with the dough hook. Kind of lazy, why not let a machine do the work :D

I've got a big container of "bread flour" I've been using, no basic "AP", so it's a little different to deal with.
I bet you could find the cookbook online.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I bet you could find the cookbook online.
I know. Not to be a lazy smart-ass, but that's to obvious :lol:

Plus asking here, probably getting a recipe that somebody has tried and knows that it works and tastes good.

Just because something is published, tested, tasted, etc. I often wonder how they make the cut. Many times they leave a lot to be desired.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
America’s Test Kitchen Modern Beef Stew
C4421885-083C-4C96-87D5-5FF9E4EC54E0.jpeg
439EFA2E-90F1-4163-8FAF-AAC8CC27A44B.jpeg
2363FE07-6134-4A40-B52B-551B49266A3D.jpeg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been trying oatmeal as a change from normal cold cereal breakfast. I’m not doing very well. I’m thinking of using more ... severe ... methods.
View attachment 43405

Do you expect me to talk?
No, Mr. Oatmeal, I expect you to die!
View attachment 43406
Kill, Kill, Kill Quaker Oats :(

I will never buy a thing from them again. Bought one of their instant oats, mixed fruit varieties.

Cinnamon, blueberry, strawberry and something else.

All fake. Just apples with fake flavor and food dye. I have since become much more vigilant about reading labels before I buy.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I’ve been trying oatmeal as a change from normal cold cereal breakfast. I’m not doing very well. I’m thinking of using more ... severe ... methods.
View attachment 43405

Do you expect me to talk?
No, Mr. Oatmeal, I expect you to die!
View attachment 43406
Cook it at 50% power for about twice as long. Helps avoid boil-over. I have to do pretty much the same with Malt-O-Meal. Otherwise, get a bowl twice the size of what you're using.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kill, Kill, Kill Quaker Oats :(

I will never buy a thing from them again. Bought one of their instant oats, mixed fruit varieties.

Cinnamon, blueberry, strawberry and something else.

All fake. Just apples with fake flavor and food dye. I have since become much more vigilant about reading labels before I buy.
You need this one:
9105B2mCRKL._SY679_.jpg

61O6uY9ftrL._SX522_.jpg

It's quite good and has a better texture/bite than regular oatmeal (which I love). Aldi's sells a "store brand" that's essentially identical (minor difference - don't recall just what) for a bit less than the Quaker version (if purchased at the grocery store).

I do a "subscribe 'n save" at Amazon - usually runs a bit over $2/box.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Sounds crazy, but I do oatmeal in the regular oven and it comes out with a really nice creamy texture. I adapted the method from a southern cookbook which directs to cook it in a very low oven overnight.

Preheat oven to 300. Bring 2 cups water to boil in saucepan. Remove from heat and add 1 cup old-fashioned oats, a pinch of salt and a little brown sugar if desired. Stir until combined, cover, and place in oven for 20 minutes. Remove, uncover, and stir vigorously for 15 - 30 seconds.

It does take a bit of time, but IMO gives a far superior result to stovetop. I also like to cook grits this way, but may take a little longer. Although the package says 5 minutes, that is just not long enough to really hydrate and cook through.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You need this one:
9105B2mCRKL._SY679_.jpg
What I was hoping for was a breakfast as easy as cereal, but healthier. Unfortunately, "real" oatmeal is slower and fussier. And instant like that Quaker has more sugar and less fiber than my go-to Frosted Miniwheats!

I may just have to starting boiling eggs on the weekend to have ready for the week.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know this is really weird, but I just can't get into breakfast food. When I wake up, my first thought has never been "I'm hungry" - food is the last thing on my mind in the morning. I've been that way since I was a little kid. I just can't stomach the thought of eating at the start of the day.

Occasionally I can do pancakes or French toast or something like that, but I need to have been awake for at least a couple hours first.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mom always fed us breakfast before school - usually a bowl of oatmeal, rice, or Malt-o-Meal and a piece of buttered toast. When I started college I quit eating breakfast as I just wasn't hungry when I awoke. I only started again about 15 years ago when I began taking my lunch break to walk (the indoor track I use closes when I get off work at 4pm). If I didn't eat breakfast I'd be ravenous by supper time and overeat. I rarely eat breakfast on the weekends.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What I was hoping for was a breakfast as easy as cereal, but healthier. Unfortunately, "real" oatmeal is slower and fussier. And instant like that Quaker has more sugar and less fiber than my go-to Frosted Miniwheats!

I may just have to starting boiling eggs on the weekend to have ready for the week.
Before I switched to oatmeal I was eating Blueberry Frosted Mini Wheats most mornings (I had a few others I'd rotate in every few boxes for variety). I switched because I don't need the milk (I refuse to use anything lower than 2% on cereal) and felt I was getting too much sugar and empty calories from the cereal. I never really checked the cereal against the oatmeal, pretty much taking it at face value that the oatmeal was "better" than the cereal!

**EDIT**
And I just checked the two against each other (the steel cut Quaker against Blueberry Mini Wheats). Overall, I think the oatmeal is the better choice. With "skim" milk the cereal is much higher in calories (even if eaten dry) and carbs while the "sugars" are exactly the same. And that's if I eat the "25 biscuits" serving - which I'd regularly exceed as that amount would have me hungry by mid-morning. The oatmeal generally stays with me all day and I rarely feel the desire to snack in the afternoons. Something I did regularly when eating cereal. Yes, the cereal has more fiber and protein but I can do without the extra carbs and calories.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oatmeal with lots of added sugar has sugar :)

I don’t use water to make oatmeal for the same reason that I don’t pour water into my bowl of cereal. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Oatmeal with lots of added sugar has sugar :)

I don’t use water to make oatmeal for the same reason that I don’t pour water into my bowl of cereal. :)
If I cook oatmeal I tend to over sugar it... just something I've done since I was a kid and never got out of doing. The instants are actually less sweet tasting than when I cook and add sugar. Of course that doesn't mean they have less sugar - just that they taste less sweet. But they also have more salt than I use when cooking oatmeal.

Generally I'm looking for something "quick and easy" but nutritious and healthy (for my age group) for me. I make breakfast for my 2 granddaughters every morning (usually a piece of toast, a fried egg, sometimes scrambled or an egg sandwich [slice of *real* cheese - none of that processed crap, scrambled egg, half a thin slice of smoked turkey warmed in the skillet between two slices of toasted oat bread or an English muffin], and 100% juice). I should probably eat that myself but, other than the egg sandwich, it doesn't quite last the day like the oatmeal. Of course there was that day recently when they were sick but didn't call to let me know before I'd already fried one of the eggs. I just added the egg to my breakfast and tossed a piece of leftover bacon my wife'd made the night before for a sandwich for my grandson. I wasn't that hungry when supper time came around... but it's also something I don't need to be eating every day.

I've always made oatmeal with water - both cooked and instant. I tried it once with milk and didn't much care for it that way. I liken "skim" milk to colored water - one reason I'll not go lower than 2%. At least 2% has a bit of flavor. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks