What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
to get "shortcut" ribs coming out looking as good as "all day project" ribs is pretty nice.

They were SO tender and tasty. Peg and I were thrilled and a bit surprised as to how great they were. We actually picked them up at one of our local supermarkets in a Buy One, Get One Free sale. The best part about that?? We've got another package of them in the freezer! :D

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I made shrimp cocktail by sous vide method last night. Perfectly tender, the best I have ever made at home, and better than many I have had in restaurants. 140 degrees for 45 minutes. Followed by steak done sous vide at 130 degrees for 90 minutes and finished over a small chimney of charcoal for browning. I love this method, especially with steak - it is impossible to overcook.

IMG_20180928_185800284.jpg
IMG_20180928_185428386.jpg
IMG_20180916_184444597.jpg
IMG_20180916_185114432.jpg
IMG_20180916_183720924.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just ordered a rubbermaid 12 qt container to go with the Anova sous vide topper a friend gave me (he ordered the wrong top for himself). I haven't cooked lately, maybe I'll SV tomorrow evening.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There isn’t really a thread for my comment here, but I hope you’ll forgive the slightly off topic post - it’s food related, I promise!

There’s a show on Netflix called “Somebody Feed Phil,” and each episode is basically an hour of Phil Rosenthal (best known for producing Everyone Loves Raymond) visiting a new city and trying foods from that location. In the Venice episode, he visits a place called Arturo’s and tries what he says is the best pork chop ever. I’m on vacation and was in Venice and I went there and got the pork chop and...well...if not best ever, certainly in the top five. Best I’ve ever had at a restaurant at any rate. And it seems like it could be replicated at home without too much fuss. When I get back, I’m trying to make it myself.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Pork chops are the standard BBQ around here. You can get boneless loin chops for around $2/lb every day, and boneless sirloin chops down as low as $1.40/lb on sale. Marinate them with an oily marinade, then grill them with indirect heat. With four burners on my gas grill that's easy to do. I always grill many more than needed so there are cooked chops for Asian stir fry later on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A nicely grilled pork chop is a great thing!

However, if I have to pick a favorite preparation, it’s taking a bone-in chop, pounding it thin, breading and frying it, and serving it with some arugula, chopped tomato, thinly sliced red onion, and a splash of fresh squeezed lemon.

I’ve tried a zillion different variations on pork chops over the years but that’s the one I return to the most.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Or just head over to Ruby Tuesday and order the Hickory Bourbon Pork Chop. Had one there yesterday that was delicious.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was in Vegas in August 2001 for like three days, and I will never, ever forget the chicken fried steak I had at Emeril’s steakhouse there. I think it was a special rather than a regular menu item but I dream about it all these years later - still the best chicken fried steak I’ve ever had.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Interesting thread. I let my wife handle ALL creative cooking tasks. I'm just here for tech support. :) She's simply better at it than me. When I cook or supply meal ideas it's usually because she's unavailable and I have to survive.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Interesting thread. I let my wife handle ALL creative cooking tasks. I'm just here for tech support. :) She's simply better at it than me. When I cook or supply meal ideas it's usually because she's unavailable and I have to survive.

It’s sort of the opposite in my house. I do the cooking, my wife does the baking. I can do a good maple pecan pie but other than that, you really don’t want me in charge of making the dessert.

The only obstacle with my cooking is that I usually cook while listening to music, and what should be simple and quick preparations usually expand to fill however long the album I’m listening to takes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sous Vide'd pork tenderloin that had was forgotten in the freezer since (mumble mumble). I bought a 12 qt tub and custom top for the Anova: I very much like this over using a 4 qt pot with foil to cover it. I rinsed the pork in warm water to soften the surface enough to take kosher salt and cracked pepper; otherwise put them fully frozen into the bag. Put in misc herbs (thyme, basil, rosemary) and chopped shallot. I followed the rule of thumb to increase cook time 50% for frozen food. When the pork was done, I dried it off and seared it brown on all sides in a cast iron skillet I had smoking hot on the grill (ah, so nice, no smoking up the house). Then I tossed in butter and the other half of the herbs and shallot and some garlic and cooked the pork with butter mixture for a couple of minutes to get a little extra flavor. Let it sit, then sliced and serve.

It was a complete success. The pork was nicely cooked, juicy, and had nice herby flavor and some good browning and extra richness from the butter finish. I'm fully sold on the Sous Vide, now that I'm understanding the process to get good food easily from it. :)
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_1209.jpeg IMG_1205.jpeg IMG_1206.jpeg IMG_1212.jpeg IMG_1213.jpeg

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I love pork tenderloins. I usually BBQ on the gas grill.

So how long did it take to prep and cook start to finish using the above method?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
90 min in the water bath, straight from the freezer. Then ten minutes on the grill to sear, cook in the butter with aromatics, and rest.

During the 90 minutes of SV cooking, I went out with my wife to see a new model home, then drive to friends and see their new car, play with their kid, and chat for a while. Then back home, and do side dishes while the SV cook finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks