What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It wets the dough for getting it to just stick, while adding less water. I think it's 50/50 water and vodka, for ~25% net water reduction.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My favorite crock-pot beef stew. Just the basics, beef, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, beef stock, etc. Check back in 10 hours, maybe thicken it up and eat for a week. No pre-cooking anything, no browning, just chop everything up, toss it in and go away. Absolutely wonderful.

Especially since we just got a foot of snow, expecting another six inches tomorrow, so my car isn't moving anytime soon ;)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
A word of advice. Don't add sweet potatoes to a crock pot stew.

The flavor is okay, but they disintegrate into mush and just vanish. But we have to experiment with recipes, learning as we go on. This one was a dud that I won't repeat.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
A word of advice. Don't add sweet potatoes to a crock pot stew.

The flavor is okay, but they disintegrate into mush and just vanish. But we have to experiment with recipes, learning as we go on. This one was a dud that I won't repeat.

I have had success with wrapping chunks of sweet potato in foil and setting the packet on top of the stew. They cook through but don't disintegrate, then I stir them in at serving time.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I have had success with wrapping chunks of sweet potato in foil and setting the packet on top of the stew. They cook through but don't disintegrate, then I stir them in at serving time.

I've got a couple left, think I'll just bake them, cut them in half and drench them with butter, S&P. A friend told me the skins are edible, but I'm going to pass on that.

Whatever I don't finish, my dog eats everything, so she'll take care of leftovers. Literally everything. Lettuce, tomatoes, all kinds of fruit and veggies, obviously anything savory like meat or a pasta dish. If I'm eating it, she wants some. :D

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I indulged and made deep-dish pizza yesterday. I used a recipe from America's Test Kitchen that uses potato in the dough, which I think gives it a great texture, different from regular flat-bread style pizza. I made one with just pepperoni, and the other with pepperoni and broccoli I sauteed with garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. This recipe reminds me so much of pizza I used to enjoy when I lived in Los Angeles, at a restaurant called Numero Uno.

DeepDishPizza_2017_02_17s.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Frozen Corn Dogs and French Fries, the ultimate health food. :D Hey, sometimes we have to break the rules and be lazy.

Sometimes deep fry them, but it's cold and rainy, don't have a covered patio so have to put the fryer on the back porch which has a bit of a roof, major pain, but will not do it inside, totally smells up the house for days, even with the best ventilation. Could do it on the front porch, which is totally covered, but I'd look like some hillbilly out "fryin' up some vittles".

So I will bake them, still bad but a bit healthier :P

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I made banana bread with the food processor. I really liked it over the usual mixer. I haven't tried the end product yet though as it's still baking. [emoji16]

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Back to "healthy" food.

Have a recipe for a creamy seafood stew. Bought clams, shrimp, scallops and a piece of codfish today.

Saute onions, garlic, shallots, whatever. Make something kind of like a roux, add some veggies, I use green beans and corn, (no potatoes) and the seafood, then bake. Doesn't sound great, but it turns out really well.

Great on it's own, or over pasta or rice.

One of those recipes I just took over and do my own thing. Kind of like my lasagne, no instructions, I just do what feels right and it turns out fine :D

Made scones last week. Major disaster. Have the mega-expensive Kitchen Aid mixer, but wow, the recipe failed me. Ended up with hockey pucks. But flour is cheap, so I'll keep trying.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Made chicken cordon bleu last night. Came out decent. Next time, I'll pound the cutlets to thin them and make for easier rolling. I'll also do deli-thin ham, and use a little more cheese.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Made chicken cordon bleu last night. Came out decent. Next time, I'll pound the cutlets to thin them and make for easier rolling. I'll also do deli-thin ham, and use a little more cheese.

That's a tough dish to make, chicken breasts overcook if you mess up the timing by a minute or less. I make it using chicken thighs, much more forgiving and easy to deal with. You can pound them out just like breasts, might look a bit different, but much more flavorful and won't dry out.

Odd that I've got a double turkey breast on the bone in the freezer, will prepare it this next weekend. It was on sale and I fell for it, Hopefully I can do it right and things turn out well, Usually do turkey thighs, so this will be a new experience. If I blow it, the dog and cat will be eating healthy for a week or so, :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I use a digital thermometer to better hit the temperature and not be dependent on a timer. It's not a cure-all for dry chicken, but it helps.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'll be attempting scones or bread today, Got a new batch of yeast and fresh bread flour. Have the $300 mixer with the dough hook and I'm going to make it work. There are so few ingredients, basically flour, yeast, salt and water, yet wow, it's so hard to get it right. Overmix or under mix, dough is to wet, to dry, rises to much, or not enough. I'm a really good cook but baking has never worked out for me.

Thankfully cheap ingredients, so I keep trying. Someday I'll figure it out.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
IMG_0296.JPG

My first attempt at Carne Asada on my new cast iron stovetop grill. The meat was EXCELLENT and I really enjoyed the marinade recipe I found for it. A good friend teaches at Cordon Bleu in Atlanta and gave me a DELICIOUS way to "doctor" refried beans! Tonight, the leftovers as a burrito!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks