What's cooking?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveF, Aug 24, 2014.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    That's interesting. I use 2:1 for a microwave rice cooker, which is sealed.

Sam Posten likes this.
  2. Stan

Stan Producer

Is a microwave rice cooker a special appliance?

Owned several microwaves in my life so far, even remember one from the late '70s a friend gave me, it was enormous, probably weighed 200 lbs. Even with all the different versions, turntables, etc. they still drive me crazy. One area will be ice cold, another one almost burned. I use it for popcorn, heating veggies or maybe a cup of coffee, but that's it. Absolutely worthless appliance to try and cook with.

Is the rice cooker something that helps distribute the heat evenly?

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I will definitely err on the side of more water in near future

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm currently curing some homemade lox for tomorrow - the recipe was really simple. The New York Times did a whole feature on curing meats and fish at home earlier in the year, and they had a fairly complex but tasting sounding recipe for lox. Another user on the site posted some adjustments that they had made to simplify it, and I'm going with that simplified version. Basically, you take about a pound of center cut salmon filet, skin on, even thickness if possible. Prepare a mix of kosher salt and sugar, approximately one cup of each per pound of fish. In a pan large enough to hold the fish, sprinkle the bottom with salt/sugar mixture. Place the fish, skin side down, on the pan, and then pour the rest of the mixture over the fish. Break up a bunch of fresh dill and place on top of salt mixture, then cover with plastic wrap. Place a tray over the top, weigh down with some cans, and leave in refrigerator for three days. After three days, take the fish out, gently rinse off the salt/sugar/dill, and cut off the bottom skin. Re-wrap in plastic and place back in fridge for another day. Finally, to serve, remove from fridge, cut thin slices on the diagonal, and enjoy with whatever you like.

Right now, it's just resting in the fridge after having the skin removed. Tomorrow, I'll be making some homemade bagel chips as an appetizer or afternoon snack, and will serve very thin slivers of the lox with the bagel chips.

DaveF likes this.
  6. Stan

Stan Producer

Cod-fish again tonight. Been living on it for about a month. Probably have it 3-4 times a week.

Just one of those weird cravings that won't go away. Lightly dust it with flour, paprika, S&P, then saute in a touch of peanut oil. I get these odd cravings once in a while, first time it's ever been fish, but they last a month or so, then life returns to normal. :rolleyes:

Next it could be lasagne, tuna casserole, fried chicken as I experiment with the deep fryer, who knows. Last month it was Costco frozen pizzas. Have a turkey breast in the freezer, along with a package of thighs, so that could be the next temporary obsession. :banana:

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm generally like that too. I normally work Saturday nights, but our office building's cafeteria is only Monday-Friday, and I'm usually not in the mood on Friday night to prepare something to bring on Saturday, so I allow that as my weekly lazy/cheat night. Despite the huge number of potential food options that delivery to midtown Manhattan 24/7, I usually get locked into something and will get the same meal for a few weeks or months in a row, before moving on to something else. My last obsession burnt down in a fire :( I'm between meals at the moment, will have to work on that in the New Year!

Stan likes this.
  8. Raul Marquez

Raul Marquez Supporting Actor

Raul H. Marquez, MD

Stan,

Everything was fine until you mentioned Costos's pizzas! IMHO they are not fit for human consumption.

Papa John's if you can't make your own or go to a nice pizza place.

Raul

9. Stan

Stan Producer

I know, they're really awful, truly do resemble cardboard, but once in a while I get the urge.

Pizza from scratch is the best, just don't always have the patience for prepping a yeast dough, making my own sauce, etc. Kind of a special treat when I want to spend an entire afternoon cooking. I do everything fresh, tomatoes, garlic and so on. Only pre-made items are the cheese and I don't grind my own flour, a little beyond my skill level ;)

KPmusmag likes this.
  10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Lead Actor
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    1482690912282.jpg Pork pot roast in the slow cooker with carrots and parsnips. Hopefully it tastes good.

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Trussed pork roast?

12. Stan

Stan Producer

Looks good. I love parsnips, they're often a very overlooked vegetable, but actually quite tasty. Kind of a sweet flavor with the texture being sort of a cross between potatoes and carrots.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Prime rib recipes: go!

14. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Lead Actor
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The roast turned out good. Everyone was pleased. I'm not entirely sold on parnsips yet, but we have a couple more in the fridge so I'll try straight up roasting them to see how they fare.

For next time, we decided we'd rather have potatoes instead of parsnips.

Stan likes this.
  15. Stan

Stan Producer

I've never done parsnips in a crock-pot, always tossed with olive oil and roasted. Maybe you should give them another try ;)

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Round 2 came out a lot better. This time featuring some red taters tossed in!
    [​IMG]
    Chicken rice soup with taters!
    by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Lessons learned:
    Cook rice first, 1.25:1 water: rice
    Once rice is done then add the stock and other stuff
    Add salt. Stock alone is not enough
    Add some ground pepper
    Skip the taters next time. Add carrot and celery

DaveF likes this.
  17. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    A pot of chili simmers on the stove. It's a good choice for a festive night since you don't have to pay attention to it as it simmers. I bought a massive chuck steak at $3.48/lb and cut up half of it into small pieces. This is so much better than using hamburger which may even cost more. Onion sauteed, add steak, deglaze with red wine, add green bells and jalapenos, then finally a can of diced tomatoes and drained pintos. Spices are just Italian herbs, chili powder, and some garlic powder. A very easy chili recipe.

atfree likes this.
  18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Made spaghetti bake (a lazy lasagna), derby pie, and eggnog. And tonight, grilled burgers with a dangerous amount of aged cheddar and gouda.

I think making the eggnog, I overcooked the egg-milk mixture and then added too much whipped cream. It's very thick ("chewy" my wife said) and custardy.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Lead Actor

Malcolm
    I made some delicious pork ribs last night. Cut about 4 lbs of baby back ribs into individual ribs. Rub with spices, toss into a slow cooker for 5 hours on low. Remove ribs from slow cooker and spread on a foil-lined sheet pan to finish in the oven for 20 minutes at 375. Brush with the sauce of your choice before putting in oven, and brush a couple of times during the oven cooking (also flip the ribs on the sheet pan once during oven cooking).

I also made a very good chocolate peanut butter pie for Christmas. It was like a giant Reese cup. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Josh Steinberg, atfree and DaveF like this.
  20. Stan

Stan Producer

Well with our weather and snowfall, I didn't cook, just picked up some basic Chinese food to go. I just wanted to get something easy, won't be leaving the house for a while until the city plows the streets, barely even got back into my driveway. :eek:

Everybody in the NW whines about studded tires, I've got four, all mounted and ready to go, but skipped it this year. Big mistake.