What's new

What wires too use...monster or other? (1 Viewer)

Jake-o

Auditioning
I'm turning my unfinished "family room" into a HT. I'm about ready to run speaker wires in the wall. Before I take that step....I've always had some form of Monster cable for all my conections. My current recv. and future one will be 100W per channel. What would be the best gauge and is there anything I should consider other than Monster. Also...anyone know of a video cable I could run for about 40-50 feet. Thinking of putting a small LCD display in the bathroom located right in front of the "throne" so we won't miss any of the game. :)

thanks

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
When I was a newbie, the only brand I knew was Monster so I spent a pretty penny for my set up.
Now, only the powersource is from a Monster brand.

Do some searching.
I wish I did.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Inside the wall you probably should use household AC power wiring meant for the purpose, with junction boxes like outlet boxes where it comes through to the room. The biggest concern is having speaker wire insulation bio-degrade inside the wall, and many building codes demand AC power wire made for in-wall use in order to avoid that problem. Outside the wall, any brand of speaker wire will do, although you may feel that Monster makes the prettiest looking ones. Be sure to get the gauge you want (most folks want 12 gauge) since some Monster speaker cables have very thick insulation to look big (is that where Monster gets its name?) when the conductors are nowhere near that thicness.

Do not use one just-right-gauge three conductor AC cable for left and right channels. The third conductor, used as a common return, won't handle the total power for the two speakers properly phased. You need a thicker third conductor, or four equal sized conductors two for each speaker.

It is hard to judge video cables because the specs. are often not published. Monster has a good reputation for high quality. Generally the longer the total run including both before and after the A/V receiver, the higher grade of cable(s) you should consider.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jake,

Do a search for 'in-wall speaker wire' here and you should get a few hits. You'll want to make sure to use CL2/CL3 in-wall rated wire for speaker, audio and video wire/cable that you plan on running in the walls.

cheers,

--tom

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
I've never heard of anyone requiring ac power wiring (romex?) for low-voltage inwall wiring. Just make sure, as ThomasL said, that you get CL2 or CL3 rated wire. 14 gauge should be plenty as long as you aren't running more than 50 feet or so.

As for the video cable, try looking at making your own using RG6 coaxial cable. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, I can make you a set using Canare L5CFB cable and RCAP ends (or their F-connectors, if that's what you'd prefer).

CJ

robert_delpozo

Auditioning
I used in the wall speaker wire from the Carol 12G which I purchased from partsexpress.com and for outside they have the 100' spool Sound King 12G on sale for $ 29.99. I ordered everyfrom from them banana plugs, wall plates, Dayton's audio/video cables, speaker stands, etc..

robert_delpozo

Auditioning
Hello Dave,

Your welcome, the 12 G 20.00 roll is the in wall wire by Carol, I used this to run my speaker wires inside the wall and over the attic and back down the other wall. I capped it with a wall plate for the comstemic look. Outside I used the Sound Kind 12 G which is more flexible. You can run the Carol wire straight to the speakers and receiver as well.

Tks;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks