What's new

Big "Home" Theatre/Bar (1 Viewer)

Lake Jon

Auditioning
Real Name
jon
Hello everyone, new guy here. I love music, video and music videos. My preference is for less expensive but loud/vintage equipment that shakes the walls as opposed to really expensive high end stuff. My current home audio equipment consists of a Yamaha pre-amp, NAD 2200 power amp powering two Pioneer HPM 100s and two Cerwin Vega E-712 towers. My living room is approximately 28x30+ with a 16 ft vaulted ceiling (really open and odd shape) and this setup fills the large open room and is good base-wise when you sit in the immediate living area. Not having a wife I have the benefit of using my living room however I want instead of a basement! I also have Carver and Yamaha amps, two Gemini ASBLU-15LT PA speakers/built in 2000 watt amp combos at my disposal, and some other speakers.

But this isn't about that.

I have a 23x47 = 1,081 sq. foot commercial space I'm turning into an event center/private club and want concert level sound/feel and video/lights. I will also be able to stay there when I want. Right now the ceiling and old walls have been demo'd so it's basically a blank slate, with open walls and ceiling. The ceiling is currently 9'6" and I looked into raising the roof 3-4 feet and it would cost over $50,000 so no. It's going to have to work with a 9'6" to 10' ceiling. I have so many questions in areas I have little knowledge in. Below is a diagram of the layout, the bar is already there. A separate bedroom and storage room are behind the stage, but I'm only concerned with the home theatre part.

1609733122838.png

Areas of questions include:

Sound proofing: the front wall -closest neighbor is about 75 yards away across the street
Speaker Wiring, type and max distance
Wireless HDMI for about 6-8 TVs
Wireless cable TV or DirecTV
Projectors vs TVs
Patch together what audio I have/with a new sub, or get concert equipment
DMX Concert lighting combined with video and traditional lighting
One audio/video source going into three amps
Different video for different TVS
Power for 1) audio/video, 2)lighting, 3) all other stuff I assume different runs for each?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hello everyone, new guy here. I love music, video and music videos. My preference is for less expensive but loud/vintage equipment that shakes the walls as opposed to really expensive high end stuff. My current home audio equipment consists of a Yamaha pre-amp, NAD 2200 power amp powering two Pioneer HPM 100s and two Cerwin Vega E-712 towers. My living room is approximately 28x30+ with a 16 ft vaulted ceiling (really open and odd shape) and this setup fills the large open room and is good base-wise when you sit in the immediate living area. Not having a wife I have the benefit of using my living room however I want instead of a basement! I also have Carver and Yamaha amps, two Gemini ASBLU-15LT PA speakers/built in 2000 watt amp combos at my disposal, and some other speakers.

But this isn't about that.

I have a 23x47 = 1,081 sq. foot commercial space I'm turning into an event center/private club and want concert level sound/feel and video/lights. I will also be able to stay there when I want. Right now the ceiling and old walls have been demo'd so it's basically a blank slate, with open walls and ceiling. The ceiling is currently 9'6" and I looked into raising the roof 3-4 feet and it would cost over $50,000 so no. It's going to have to work with a 9'6" to 10' ceiling. I have so many questions in areas I have little knowledge in. Below is a diagram of the layout, the bar is already there. A separate bedroom and storage room are behind the stage, but I'm only concerned with the home theatre part.

View attachment 85334

Areas of questions include:

Sound proofing: the front wall -closest neighbor is about 75 yards away across the street
Projectors vs TVs
Power for 1) audio/video, 2)lighting, 3) all other stuff I assume different runs for each?
Do you plan to install seating and a proper recliner/couch, or just treat this as an open area?

How many viewers?

Do you have a budget in mind?

How many channels of audio are you looking for?

Lake Jon

Auditioning
Real Name
jon
Do you plan to install seating and a proper recliner/couch, or just treat this as an open area?

How many viewers?

Do you have a budget in mind?

How many channels of audio are you looking for?

Yes, sofas, sectionals, love seats, tables/chairs, bar height tables/stools a variety

1 to 70

nope, but casual not extravagant

youtube/netflix/blue ray/dvd

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'll try to address your questions one by one.

- Look at the soundproofing company. You can use a combination of green blue/double drywall if you need to do anything significant. Depends how loud you plan to listen. The more bass, the more isolation required.

- I'd aim for 12ga so you can run whatever length is needed up to 150ft or more

- Wireless HDMI is a nonstarter. Go with HDBaseT or optical HDMI cables with a distribution switch. Monoprice sells most of this gear.

- Up to you. I'd probably base it on cost. Whatever you pick should support multiple TV's.

Projectors vs TVs
- I'd suggest a combo. Perhaps 1-2 projectors with high light output for larger screens and a few TVs also. Check out the 5000+ lumen options from BenQ, Epson etc.

- What do you have? For this sort of space I'd recommend pro amps (Crown/QSC) and some sort of sound reinforcement type speakers from a vendor like JTR or Power Sound Audio. https://www.jtrspeakers.com/pro-audio

- Not much of a lighting guy. @Wayne A. Pflughaupt might have some input here.

- This is no problem, you'll need an AV processor no matter what. Something like a Marantz AV8805 or similar.

- HDBaseT distribution system will typically handle routing of sources to displays. Something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27842

Power for 1) audio/video, 2)lighting, 3) all other stuff I assume different runs for each
- Generally yes. Power amps should all be on a 30A or 2 20A circuits. The rest of the equipment isn't as critical.

Lake Jon

Auditioning
Real Name
jon
I'll try to respond, but there are some things/links you mentioned I've got to check out.

Soundproofing I'll probably pass and just get the best drywall. The best 5/8 drywall is $11, but soundproof is $53 a sheet.

12 ga for any runs over 50 ft

No wireless for anything

For the TVs my current plan is one projector;
ViewSonic PX800HD 1080p Ultra-Short Throw Home Entertainment Projector
Multiple 43" screens, 1-2 small screens

I'll have a smart Blue Ray? HDMI output and regular cable HDMI going into an HDMI splitter. The single output of the splitter will go into an HDMI to Ethernet converter/splitter/extender like below
1610726299808.png

The current audio I have is above. I'm just going to have to get this all built and set up and see if more power/speakers are needed. I've got multiple places so nothing will be wasted, it's just a matter of what goes in what space/house.

The second HDMI output from the smart blue ray player will be for audio. I'll convert the HDMI to RCA, then split the RCA 4 ways into 2 amps and the 2 Geminis.

Thats the rough plan. I'm sure a lot of testing and some modifications will be involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks