What's new

Budget Home Theater 99% Complete. What you think? (1 Viewer)

Bret Miedema

Auditioning
My wife and I just got married a year ago and bought are first home. We are both big movie fans, but were sick of spending $50 a weekend to go see movies so we decided we would cut back on the movies and put it towards a home theater system. We wanted to keep it around $1000 for the actual home theater hardware...We went above that by a lot when you count the decor in the room. I also used to work for Best Buy which helped too. Lastly she is a Yankee's fan and I am a Red Sox fan so we have a rivalry basement. The room is nearly 100% done. I would eventually like to get a fixed screen as this one is getting some minor waves in it and I also want to get some large panorama pictures behind the couch. (I also want a popcorn machine but I don't think the wife will allow it)

We wanted to go the projector route with a 5.1 system
I got a Acer H6510BD DLP 1080p projector on Newegg for $630
http://www.newegg.co...486&Tpk=h6510bd
For the Audio I got a Yamaha 5.1 System at Best Buy. It was a home theater in a box, but it came with a true receiver and none of the proprietary bullshit. It has 4 hdmi inputs and 1 output so wiring will be easy. (Good discount) $275
http://www.bestbuy.c...4&skuId=4566089
92" Elite Screen
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-92-Inch-Projector/dp/B000MR044I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420336208&sr=8-4&keywords=elite+92%22

Hardware and Cables (ex mount, speaker mounts, speaker wire, surge protector, etc) $50
Total Cost ~$1020
I will be powering the Home Theater with a Windows 8.1 Based HTPC
i3, 4 GB DDR3 Memory, 60 GB SSD, 2 TB NAS, Plex Home Theater and a PS3 for blu-ray all controlled with a harmony remote.
I also have a tv behind the bar with an apple tv hooked up to it.
This is an update to this thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/326083-what-do-you-think-of-my-budget-home-theatre/
Below are some before and after pictures. P.S. the before photos are from a previous owner.
Let me know what you guys think.
Before:
IMG_0067-1.jpg
IMG_0068-1.jpg
IMG_0069-1.jpg

After:
IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0177-1.jpg

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
That's quite a difference, looks really good. The question is are you happy with the results because that is the important part. Go Sox!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, GO Sox! indeed! :biggrin:

That IS quite a difference, Bret! Looks great.

Congratulations on your anniversary and the new HT! You'll be wanting to upgrade that sound system before you know it! :laugh: it comes with the territory of hanging out here on the HTF.

But with a room that size, it might not be necessary at all.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Absolutely love the fake fireplace under the display and the lighted bookcases. Kudos to whoever (whomever?) came up with the ideas. But sell the jerseys and buy a better sound system :rolling-smiley: . Sorry, I'm from California :wacko: .

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Awesome start up system. I'm glad you went with that type of HTIB from Yamaha unlike the other nonsense (Samsung, Sony etc...). As mentioned, don't be surprised if you start looking to add more components there, you know the saying: "Go big or go home" because this game is fun and enjoyable. Go Boston (from Connecticut). Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks