What's new

Connecting outdoor speakers with 4 conductor wire (1 Viewer)

mlemery5

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I have moved into a new house and I'm trying to set up a 7.2 surround sound speaker system including 7 speakers inside and 2 outdoor speakers. All equipment was given to me by previous homeowner and they claim everything worked great.
I am using a Denon AVR-X3200W receiver and 2 channel amplifier by Audio Source and Yamaha outdoor speakers.
I have successfully connected all 7 indoor speakers to the receiver and that is working.
My problem comes when I try to hook up the outdoor speakers. I was told they connect to the amp and then I hook the amp into the zone 2 inputs of the receiver by av cable. I have done that trying both channels A and B on the amp, but I am getting no sound from the outdoor speakers.
The speaker wire is run through the wall from the outdoor speakers to the back of the tv and comes out with all the other speaker wires. There is only one wire left unused and it is labeled VMI outdoor speaker. However, where every other speaker wire has just black and red connections, this wire is a 4 conductor wire with red, black, green, and white wires. I checked the connections on the Yamaha speakers and they are solid, but each speaker is connected by red and black speaker wire. There is no sign of green and white wires. Additionally, I tested each speaker inside using the battery method to get a "pop" out of the speaker to locate it, and they all responded. When I do the same with the 4 conductor wire I do not get a "pop" from the outdoor speakers, no matter what combination of colors I use. I do get a spark on the battery when combining red as positive, black as negative and white as positive, green as negative.
I have tried everything I know how to do, and I'm out of options. Can anyone help me?
Thank you

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's hard visualizing in my head what all the wires are, but my first thought is to question whether the 4 wire (r/b/g/w) are the wires running to the outdoor speakers esp since you can't see the same colored wire on the outside.

I think I understand the simple battery test, but my first suggestion would be to use a true wire or circuit detector and do a simple wire trace -- is the red wire actually any of the wires going to the outdoor speakers. Could be a break/short in the wires or simply could be the wrong wires or the previous owner left out some critical bit of information

If the 4 wires are confirmed connected to the outdoor speakers, then possible skip the 3200 for now and hook it up to a separate receiver temporarily to make sure the speakers play with the straight signal. If that works then obviously some setting in the 3200 isn;t quite right so that narrows things down,

I'm assuming the previous owner isn't close enough to come back and demo the system or could get you in contact with the person that installed he system that could directly help you trouble shoot

BClarkeVA

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Clarke
As David indicates above, there's something "fishy" when you have 4 wire at AVR end, and 2 wire at speaker end. Either the 4 wire isn't connected to the 2 wire (at speakers) at all, or you need to determine which of the 4 wires the 2 wires are connected to.

I would either trace (likely physically follow wires through attic or crawl space or wherever to see where the 2 wires at speakers actually go, and where the 4 wires at AVR go (hopefully they connect). Or I would find out who installed system and get them to tell me what's going on.

Good luck - I set up a separate stereo in my shed, and run speakers onto patio from there. I stream wirelessly from SONOS in my house to a SONOS box in my shed and having access to everything outside is GREAT.

Bob C

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
My guess is that there is a volume control somewhere between the speakers and the back of the receiver. That would be the reason why you don’t get any pop out of the speakers. If you can’t find a volume control in the house or near the patio deck see if there is a blank plate cover in one of those areas as a volume control might’ve been removed and four conductor wire is Inside that box.There is probably an individual speaker wire run from that location to each one of the speakers. Also with the Denon you probably have to turn zone 2 on in the menu or if you have a remote with a zone 2 power button, you can do it that way. You probably also need to tell it in the zone 2 menu whether you are using internal power (receiver) or an external power amp.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had considered the 4 wire could have been spliced into a separate pair of normal wires connecting to the speakers, but never dawned
on me about running through a speaker volume/ on-off switch which would absolutely make the most sense. You'd think there would have
to be some way to turn the volume up/down/off from outside without having to run back to the receiver or use some sort of remote extender. I've never had an outdoor setup, but I have accidently left a mute button pushed (or Record Out switch engaged) and took days to figure out why my cheap receiver appeared dead (embarrassing, but cheap fix since I finally found the issue before replacing things).

Something similar to this

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks