What's new

What to do with 900+ DVD collection? (1 Viewer)

Dogfrndnew

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Brock
We have been buying DVDs and Bluray disk for years. After we decided to sty in our home for several more years, I'm looking to fix up several rooms. Part of that includes a more permanent media room. What is the common solutions I should look at to store and access these DVDs while saving floor space?
Should I do:
1 jukeboxes with the actual disks loaded in it? Any specific units to look at?
2 some kind of digital sever type device similar to when I loaded all my CDs into iTunes and boxed the disks and put them in the basement? Specific units to research?
Whichever solution, I wouldn't want to lose quality or menus and extras. I spent the morning googling and it is so spread out I really need a base to start from.
Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question. Thanks for your help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Or you could buy a couple of the Sony 400 disc Bluray players. They're only $2700 each! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M78J70/ref=asc_df_B002M78J702256233?smid=A2KGQUHFOFACM0&tag=nextagusmp0350985-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002M78J70
There are in-expensive 301 disc dvd players that you can daisey-chain together (I think). The Yamaha, Integra, Marantz and Pioneer models can be had for around $100 on CL, ebay, etc. Don't worry about the brand name as they are all the same, made by Pioneer and with whichever faceplate the rest wanted on it. All the remotes are exactly the same and use Pioneers code. I have an Integra version and it works very well (except the remote also turns on my Pioneer DV-58av!) . Bought it on ebay 6 months ago new-in-box for $100 + shipping. Not sure what you would do with your BR discs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My advice take or leave it:
The jukeboxes all suck from a UI perspective. Enjoy DVD and Bluray how they were designed, 1 disk at a time, and look to building a file server in the future.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You can build or buy an HTPC and rip all your discs to it. There are a few caveats:
@ You will get little info here on how to do that, due to forum rules
@ making an HTPC server for watching movies in other rooms, with an easy to use UI, is looking harder and harder ( as I'm looking into this.) especially keeping full dsc with all extras. (If the computer with the movies is connected to the display where you'll watch, it gets easier.)
@ it will take a fair bit of time on your part, minimally, to rip all your discs.
To buy a pre-built system...I've looked here:
http://assassinhtpc.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks