What's new

UHD What titles would you purchase on UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
4K UHD is my limit and there are a number of titles that will not go beyond 1080p BD. I hear you on repurchasing titles it chews up alot of finances buying movies over and over again and I do not blame you for feeling that way. 4K UHD is my limit as I see that being the line where diminishing returns kicks in. For home consumer use I do not see any reason to go beyond 4K and no reason to purchase titles in 8K plus there are other things I want to get around to doing hopefully. As much as I love A/V and movies I need to draw the line somewhere! I agree that 1080p Blu-ray does look very good but for me I just want to take that last step to have what I see as a true reference disc being a consumer and having what I would see as a reference library. This for me is actually very tough as finances are actually horible so it takes every spare dollar to go the 4K route and to scrape up the money to do the upgrades to my home theater and to do the remaining upgrades to the system. I still want to upgrade to a new receiver with 4K switching that also includes Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, not to sure if I will pay for a Aro 3D upgrade as there doesn't seem to be much software out there to justify it. I also want to upgrade my Samsung 4K UHD player to a Oppo then I need a 4K UHD native projector and a nice screen to go with it. My last upgrades will be upgrading my rear speakers and adding height speakers matching to the Bowers & Wilkens center channel I have now. I might upgrade my subwoofer and actually add a matching second but that I have not decided on. After that it will be all movie purchases and saving up for a trip to Germany.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
4K UHD is my limit and there are a number of titles that will not go beyond 1080p BD. I hear you on repurchasing titles it chews up alot of finances buying movies over and over again and I do not blame you for feeling that way. 4K UHD is my limit as I see that being the line where diminishing returns kicks in. For home consumer use I do not see any reason to go beyond 4K and no reason to purchase titles in 8K plus there are other things I want to get around to doing hopefully. As much as I love A/V and movies I need to draw the line somewhere! I agree that 1080p Blu-ray does look very good but for me I just want to take that last step to have what I see as a true reference disc being a consumer and having what I would see as a reference library.

I agree on many levels, that and "8K" or whatever that looks like probably won't be delivered on disc anyway. ;) I do love my 4K UHD however and have spent lots... :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This may help push studios to release more 4K UHD content which will be good for everyone who wants to build a 4K library. My hope is that more 4K UHD BD titles will become available to consumers. Personally I am not interested in Digital downloads or buying movies that I have to have an internet connection to watch. I also do not see the kind of value I see with disc media! It is a good thing that they are looking to include Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to Digital content. But one of the other things that I have a problem with is not owning the copy when dealing with Digital content via download and or streaming. I can always walk to the shelf and put in a movie even if I loose my job and can not afford internet. But try downloading and or streaming with no internet! Try enjoying your collection if a provider goes under and you loose everything. Up to now not having Dolby True HD or DTS-HD was a deal breaker that gave me yet another reason to not want Digital content. So when it becomes standard for Dolby Vision and lossless audio or even Dolby Atmos to be offered with Digital content it will be harder to say there is no value. But again there is hard to see value in something you can not pick up! It is hard to accept something and adopt it when you loose access to it just because you have to have internet! I just hope that this helps more content in 4K end up being released and that we have a good mix of new and catalog titles here in the next 5 years!

That being said that article is good news!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I know this won't be a popular response but......actually none. 1080P 2K Blu Ray is as close to "perfect" as I intend to go. I've double dipped from DVD to Blu Ray on a lot of titles but I'll NOT be triple dipping on any title.
So shoot me!!
This is me. With over 800 BDs in my collection, at average cost of $15, I've got at least $12,000 invested. To me, it's just not fiscally responsible to double dip into 4k releases. 1080p will have to be good enough.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know this won't be a popular response but......actually none. 1080P 2K Blu Ray is as close to "perfect" as I intend to go. I've double dipped from DVD to Blu Ray on a lot of titles but I'll NOT be triple dipping on any title.
So shoot me!!
Actually, it's none of our business how you spend your monies so I don't think popularity has anything to do with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is me. With over 800 BDs in my collection, at average cost of $15, I've got at least $12,000 invested. To me, it's just not fiscally responsible to double dip into 4k releases. 1080p will have to be good enough.
No problem!

With that said, I hope those that intend Blu-ray to be their final video format they'll support will allow those of us that have upgraded to 4K/UHD to enjoy our discussion of this format.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No problem!

With that said, I hope those that intend Blu-ray to be their final video format they'll support will allow those of us that have upgraded to 4K/UHD to enjoy our discussion of this format.
I'm kinda in between about 4K. It'll be the rare blu ray I upgrade to 4K. I've done that for PJ's King Kong, but I'm a sucker for Kong. If it's a choice between 4K and 3D of a movie, I'll choose 3D. A new film comes out that I want, I will prefer 4K but I'll also have to wait until the price is what I want to pay.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
while Paramount news is good,one have to remember how slow they are to release stuff that doesn't have Star Trek in the title ,or star Tom Cruise ,
I have little interest is buying up converts ,

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
while Paramount news is good,one have to remember how slow they are to release stuff that doesn't have Star Trek in the title ,or star Tom Cruise ,

You realize that a 2K DI does not equal 1080p right? Yes, it is not as big as a 4K DI but it still has a lot more data then your Blu-ray can ever show you. That is why so many of the newest released 2K DI sourced 4K discs look so much better then the Blu-ray. That and 64m colors vs 16m colors and HDR and better contrast and...
scanning_format_table.jpg

Fantastic website that really gets into the meat of Digital Intermediates. http://www.digital-intermediate.co.uk/resolution/resolutionsize.htm

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That was an approach that I first utilized until I realized it was short-sighted on my part as I came across many 2K DI converts that looked excellent on 4K/UHD discs and that's not including the big audio improvement with Dolby Atmos with some of them.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hope to be adding as many 4K UHD BD titles as I can afford this year as 4K UHD will be my reference disc. Many titles will be purchased on 4K UHD BD but there are a number of titles that I will buy on standard 1080p BD due to budget and importance/how much I like them. 1080p BD is bear minimum for me and nothing is being purchased on SD DVD anymore!

Future upgrades:
4K UHD Projector
100" - 120" projection screen
upgrade Samsung UHD to Oppo UHD player
upgrade Pioneer Elite SC-05 to Marantz SR-7011
upgrade Advent Marble surrounds to Bowers & Wilkens Bookshelf rear channels and add idenital B&W speakers for Atmos channels!

May or may not upgrade my subwoofer and may or may not run dual subs.

IMG_8576.JPG

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Purchased both ET, Fate Of The Furious, Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 and The Fifth Element on 4K UHD BD!

Next purchase on 10/3 will be the following:

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Terminator 2
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
Blade Runner

Maybe one or two of the following in addition to the 4 above:

Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
Chappie
John Wick 2

If it is a good transfer I would purchase the following on 4K UHD:

Sound Of Music
My Fair Lady
Star Trek 2: Wrath Of Kahn
Star Wars: Original Theatrical Release 1977
Open Range
The first four Harry Potter Movies
Original X Men Movies
Fast & Furious
Heat
The Book Theif
Alien & Aliens
Dirty Harry

and many others, to many to list right now.

IMG_9393a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks