What's new

UHD What titles would you purchase on UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looking at your list, Dave, I would say that John Wick 2 is the must buy from that group. I thought it looked simply stunning on UHD.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Well I have been enjoying a lot of the latest releases.. However, been traveling a ton so have gotten behind on my watching. I'm up to 144 UHD discs... Yes, I have been doing some blind buys. I still have quite a few in my pre-order waiting to pre-order category. The out of order ones on the last shelf right hand side are the yet to be watched ones... :)
FullSizeRender.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've slowed down my 4K/UHD title purchases because I was buying too many mediocre or bad films just because they're on 4K discs. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Not a good investment of my discretionary funds. I'm at around 110 4K/UHD titles.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Come on studios lets see some catalog classics!

Sound Of Music
My Fair Lady (Already has a 8K & 4K master)
Lawrence Of Arabia
The Seven Year Itch (To my knowledge the 4K master was already done)

Other titles I want to see on 4K UHD BD:
Lethal Weapon Movies 1-4 (Directors Cuts Available via seamless branching if possible)
Alien & Aliens
Batman Begins, The Dark Knight & Dark Knight Rises
Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Pirates Of The Caribbean 1-4 (At least the first two films)
Star Trek: Original Movies 1-3
Braveheart

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Tomorrow is 4K UHD Shopping Day!

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
Blade Runner
The Bridge Over River Kwai
John Wick 2

and one of these maybe depending on how much the above cost me and what I feel like.

Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
Underworld
Ghost In The Shell

17015800_10154981836668830_529268610073059017_o (1).jpg

close-encounters-40-anniversary.jpg

0m40iED.jpg

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I've just made the leap into 4K technology, courtesy of a great deal on a Samsung 65" QLED which came with a 'free' UHD-BD player. I don't have any UHD discs yet (other than the very impressive 'Planet Earth II' that it came bundled with), but have preordered T2 and IT.

Can't wait for some real classics: Godfather trilogy, the Bond films, the Alien films, etc...

Frankly, I'm very impressed with how regular Blu-rays look on the new screen, so I can wait a while!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My 28th UHD title should arrive today -- Kick-Ass. I have been trying to avoid blind buying UHD titles just to get something in the new format (as Robert alluded to above), but I took a chance on this one based on what I've read about the film and its great price -- plus I used Amazon credits, so it cost me nothing out of pocket.

I am waiting for the inevitable price drops on The Bridge on the River Kwai and Bram Stoker's Dracula before ordering them. There are a few other titles I would like, as well, but not at their current prices. Blade Runner, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, John Wick 2, and Unforgiven come to mind. Every individual title in my collection has cost me less than $20, and I am trying to keep my purchases under that price.

I may rent the UHD version of Wonder Woman, since Vudu recently announced they are reducing their UHD prices in response to Apple's 4K pricing. The rental price is now $5.99, and I have access to Dolby Vision support through the Smartcast Vudu app on my Vizio display. I have yet to see the film, and have a feeling that one viewing will be enough for me. I may just rent GotG2, as well, since I doubt Disney will drop its price for a long time, and I have yet to see the film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My 28th UHD title should arrive today -- Kick-Ass. I have been trying to avoid blind buying UHD titles just to get something in the new format (as Robert alluded to above), but I took a chance on this one based on what I've read about the film and its great price -- plus I used Amazon credits, so it cost me nothing out of pocket.

Scott: I think you are going to love Kick-Ass. I wasn't sure what to expect when I spun it up for the first time. I just sat back and enjoyed myself greatly. One convention-breaking surprise after another. Let us know what you think. :thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott: I think you are going to love Kick-Ass. I wasn't sure what to expect when I spun it up for the first time. I just sat back and enjoyed myself greatly. One convention-breaking surprise after another. Let us know what you think. :thumbsup:
Well, I know you didn't share that viewing experience with Peg.:)

By the way, my 4K disc is out for delivery so I'll be watching Chloe with her potty mouth in UHD later today.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Will do, Mike. I think yours was one of the positive reviews that put this on my wish list. We probably will not be able to watch it until the weekend, though.

I just noticed via the back cover that Kick-Ass is encoded in Dolby Vision -- the 2nd such title in my collection. Unfortunately, while my Vizio display and Denon AVR both support DV, my Sony UHD player does not, so I will be watching this disc in HDR10.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just came back from my shopping trip with some new shinny 4K UHD BD titles.

I rather support a local retailer than pay shipping and have to wait for it.

IMG_9540a.jpg

IMG_9543a.jpg

Here are some 4K UHD BD tiles that are on my list including those that are scheduled to be released.

Jumanji 12/5/2017 ? Considering
Men In Black 12/5/2017
The Hitman's Bodyguard 11/21/2017
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban 11/5/2017
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire 11/5/2017
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets 11/5/2017
Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone 11/5/2017
Terminator 2 10/31/2017
Planet Of The Apes Trilogy 10/24/2017
Apollo 13 10/13/2017
Serenity 10/17/2017
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Transformers: The Last Knight ?
Starship Troopers
Wonder Woman
Zero Dark Thirty
The Cabin In The Woods
Red
Red 2
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Ex Machina
The Bridge Over River Kwai
Ghost In The Shell
Chappie
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
Underworld
Labyrinth
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
Arrival
Angels & Demons
Inferno
I Am Legend
Man Of Steel

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dave,

The Cabin in the Woods was a blind buy for me, and both my wife and I really enjoyed the film. It was a unique take on an old genre.

Hey Scott, this would be a blind purchase for myself as well as I have yet to see the movie but your positive comments may help me decide to buy it sooner rather than later.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What I want to know is what titles will be released around this Christmas on 4K UHD BD????

I like the fact that both Walmart & Target have 4K UHD BD titles on the shelf! Then there is also Best Buy that have a good selection of 4k UHD BD!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know if this is useful information for anyone, but I was in my local Wal-Mart tonight and they had this display:

full

full

full
Thanks Mike, I need to see if my local Walmarts have Prometheus in stock as that pricing is much lower than what I can find online such as Amazon or Deep Discount.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Mike, I need to see if my local Walmarts have Prometheus in stock as that pricing is much lower than what I can find online such as Amazon or Deep Discount.
When you're a retiree who suffers from insomnia, you can make 4:00 a.m. runs to Walmart and pick up the following 4K releases for $19.96 each. However, while doing so as I pulled out of my garage just down my street I have three deer walk just in front of my vehicle like they didn't have a care in the world.:)

Prometheus
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Creed

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When you're a retiree who suffers from insomnia, you can make 4:00 a.m. runs to Walmart and pick up the following 4K releases for $19.96 each. However, while doing so as I pulled out of my garage just down my street I have three deer walk just in front of my vehicle like they didn't have a care in the world.:)

Prometheus
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Creed

Those deer must have been retired, too. :)

Hopefully Amazon will be price matching Bram Stoker's Dracula soon. I hate shopping at the Walmart closest to our house. Besides, I still have some Amazon credits I could apply to the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks