What's new

UHD What titles would you purchase on UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
US Releases 4k UHD Blu-ray

Sept 19th, 2017
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
Aspect Ratio 2.39:1 / Audio: TBA
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind-4K-Blu-ray/171515/

Sept 26th, 2017
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1 /Audio: TBA
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bram-Stokers-Dracula-4K-Blu-ray/171527/

July 11th, 2017
The Fifth Element
Aspect Ratio 2.39:1 /Audio: TBA
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fifth-Element-4K-Blu-ray/171526/

March 28th, 2017
Furious 7
Aspect Ratio 2.40:1 /Audio: DTS-X
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Furious-7-4K-Blu-ray/171858/

Fast and Furious 6
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1 /Audio: DTS-X
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fast-and-Furious-6-4K-Blu-ray/171859/

Feb 7th, 2017
John Wick
Aspect Ratio 2.40:1 /Audio: Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD 7.1
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/John-Wick-4K-Blu-ray/169542/

Jan 17th, 2017
Battleship
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1 /Audio: DTS-X, DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Battleship-4K-Blu-ray/167180/

Resident Evil: Afterlife
Aspect Ratio 2.40:1 /Audio: Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD 7.1
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Resident-Evil-Afterlife-4K-Blu-ray/164953/

The Girl On The Train
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1 /Audio: DTS-X, DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Girl-on-the-Train-4K-Blu-ray/165832/

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Bram Stoker's Dracula UHD?
4K is starting to look a whole lot better.:rock:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have no plans to upgrade to UHD.

However, if they released the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy in UHD, I would go buy a new TV, a new UHD player, a new sound system, and those movies. Without hesitation. Or regard for the price.

Short of that--and I am serious--I have no plans for UHD.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am hoping for some classics to be released and hopefully in the next two years that will start happening.

Here is some of the titles coming and now available on 4K UHD Blu-ray

4K 2_10_17a.jpg

4K 2_10_17b.jpg

4K 2_10_17c.jpg

4K 2_10_17d.jpg

4K 2_10_17e.jpg

4K 2_10_17f.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
1977 Seems to be the oldest release on 4K so far at least in the US. I would like to see older movies as well especially with popular titles that already have 4K masters. My Fair Lady is a great choice in my honest opinion but since it has had a recent aniversay release I do not see it being released for awhile. And My Fair Lady was scanned in 8K and was saved in 8K and 4K so it is ready for the next upgrade when they get around to 8K displays.

Titles on my purchase list:
Bram Stokers: Dracula
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
The Fifth Element
Harry Potter: And The Deathly Hallows Pt1
Harry Potter: And The Deathly Hallows Pt2
Harry Potter: And The Order Of The Phoenix
Harry Potter: And The Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter: And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Harry Potter: And The Goblet Of Fire
Harry Potter: And The Chamber Of Secrets
Harry Potter: And The Sorcerers Stone
Fast And Furious 6
Furious 7
John Wick
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
Battleship
The Girl On The Train ?
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Deepwater Horizon
Underworld 2016
The Magnificent Seven 2016
Sully
I Am Legend
The Secret Life Of Pets
Goodfellas
Mechanic: Resurrection
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Angels And Demons
The Legend Of Tarzan
X Men: Apocalypse
X Men: First Class
Central Intelligence
Everest
The Shallows
Labyrinth
IMAX: Extreme Nature Collection
IMAX: Extreme Adventure Collection
Now You See Me 2
Snow White And The Huntsman
The Huntsman: Winter War
Oblivion
Lone Survivor
Man Of Steel
The Divergent Series: Divergent
The Divergent Series: Insurgent
The Divergent Series: Allegiant
Creed
Ghostbusters 2
Point Break
Now You See Me
Risen
Deadpool
Joy
The Revenant
The 5th Wave
The Expendables 3
Salt
Maze Runner: Scorch Trials
Chappie
The Amazing Spiderman 2
Hitman 42

No Current Release Dates:
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
XXX: Return Of Xander Cage
John Wick: Chapter 2
Unforgiven
Heat
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

Wish List:
American Graffiti
Sound Of Music
My Fair Lady
Saving Private Ryan
Alien
Aliens
Star Wars (1977) Original Theatrical
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back Original Theatrical
Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi Original Theatrical
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: Rouge One
Star Trek III: Search For Spock
Star Trek: Original Motion Picture
Ben Hur
Lawrence Of Arabia
The Matrix
The Italian Job
End Of Days
Star Gate
Transformers
Training Day
Mutiny On The Bounty (1962)
Red Dragon
Seabicuit
The Dirty Dozen
Apollo 13
Open Range
Titanic
Die Hard
Gran Torino
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Singin In The Rain
The Seven Year Itch
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
The Innocence
Planet Of The Apes (1968)
The Book Thief

Plus to many to list!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Looking forward to all the usual complaints about how grainy CE3K is arround here.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller

I have read that Alien maybe released when the new one comes out. Have not seen anything official yet though. It sounds like the release of the Iron Man movies in Europe are pretty good with the 3rd one might be the best 4K catalog movie release yet. Since they didn't do any remixing of the sound I think I'll hold off until Disney finally does something.

I'm up to 88 UHD discs now with 15 on pre-order. Every time I think I'll slow down they announce something else.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
-Blade Runner

-Alien, Aliens

-E.T.

-Jaws

-Planet Of the Apes

Blade Runner is a good film but I think my 5 Disc Collectors Edition on 1080p Blu-ray will hold me over for awhile.

IMG_8617.JPG

Alien, Aliens, ET and Jaws are a must purchase for me as long as the transfers look great and they offer a good reason to purchase on 4K UHD.

Which Planet Of The Apes are you referring 1968 or 2001? For me a must have would be the original 1968 Planet Of The Apes is a must have in 4K but I don't think I would repurchase the 2001 Tim Burton version on 4K UHD.

Other must haves for me depending on if the content can and will shine on 4K UHD Blu-ray are the following:

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Unforgiven
Close Encounters
Seven Year Itch
My Fair Lady
Sound Of Music
Star Wars (1977 Theatrical)
Open Range
Back To The Future
The Innocents
Patton
The Hustler (1961)
Pirates Of The Caribbean Saga
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: Rogue One
Tombstone
The Abyss
Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek: Wrath Of Khan, Star Trek: Search For Spock
Lethal Weapon Quadrilogy
Lawrence Of Arabia
Heat

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Id buy anything as long as it was an upgrade. If the UHD is inferior to the blu-ray release Ill skip it.
Im new to UHD and so far I have
I am Legend
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness
Underworld
ID4
Independence Day Resurgence
Amazing Spiderman II
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters 2106 steelbook
Pacific Rim
310 to Yuma
(coming May 2nd :) )
The Peanuts Movie
Snow White and the Huntmen

Soon Ill be getting
Dawn/Rise of the Planet of the Apes depending on reviews
The Mummy Trilogy
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II
The entire Harry Potter Series - I feel like there will be a UHD box set so I might wait

Not sure what else is out there or forthcoming but Im open to any and all as long as they are upgrades...
I just bought a UHD TV and Samsung Player a few weeks ago and Im having a blast ! Even the blu rays look sharper and I found settings/calibrations that I like

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Here are the ones I have on pre-order....

The Mummy Trilogy
Dredd
Ex Machina
Prometheus
Ghost in the Shell
John Wick 2
Logan
La La Land
The Expendables 1 and 2
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Underworld: Bloodwars

The big ones I would like to finally see after so many rumors are Gladiator (heard it has the 4K pass just waiting on HDR), Aliens (I think the first one is just ok), The Abyss (heard it has the 4K pass just waiting on HDR) and True Lies (heard it has the 4K pass just waiting on HDR)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Blade Runner is a good film but I think my 5 Disc Collectors Edition on 1080p Blu-ray will hold me over for awhile.

View attachment 37617

Alien, Aliens, ET and Jaws are a must purchase for me as long as the transfers look great and they offer a good reason to purchase on 4K UHD.

Which Planet Of The Apes are you referring 1968 or 2001? For me a must have would be the original 1968 Planet Of The Apes is a must have in 4K but I don't think I would repurchase the 2001 Tim Burton version on 4K UHD.
Planet Of the Apes(1968)-next year is the 50th anniversary. I truly hope Fox does something special for the occasion(UHD seems logical). I requested it to them early last year. Their response was "We will look into it".

I have the 5 disc Blade Runner as well. I don't believe it is available anymore, so I'm a bit nervous when I take the discs out to watch them.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will be buying the following:

Unforgiven
John Wick 2
Underworld
3:10 To Yuma

and some others.

I am still deciding on Prometheus and will skip La La Land completely even on Blu-ray and DVD

IMG_8576.JPG

4K is the last format I intend to support! My end game is having a sytem that is Atmos/DTS X capible and to upgrade to a 4K projector and 120" projection screen. I see no need to go beyond 4K in the home! That doesn't mean that in the future I will not have to get a 8K display if that is what I have to buy at the store. But I am not interested in buying digital content or going beyond 4K UHD! This is where the upgrade train stops for me and at that point I will just enjoy the collection I have and watch movies on Netflix and or a premium movie channel. Besides I want to go see Germany at some point in my life!

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Iron-Man-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/173562/
Unless the Iron Man trilogy comes out in the US I will be ordering it from Germany in the next few months!

I haven't heard great things, they sound good though...

I'm up to 93 titles now...

I have the following on pre-order:
King Kong - Ultimate Edition
The Fate of the Furious
The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy
Dredd
Ex Machina
Prometheus
Ghost In The Shell
John Wick: Chapter 2
Logan
Morgan
Resident Evil: The Final
xXx: Return Of Xander Cage

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Iron-Man-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/173562/

Unless the Iron Man trilogy comes out in the US I will be ordering it from Germany in the next few months!

But Dave, if it was a choice of the Iron Man Trilogy or Lawrence of Arabia being released on UHD BD, would you not agree that Lawrence would be more worthwhile to have on UHD BD, because its PQ (aside from it being a terrific film) would be more of a stunner?

Also Dave, have you heard, or read, of any scheduled release date for a Lawrence UHD BD?

During a trip to Long Island, New York, in the first week of October 2006, at a Sony store, I happened to see
a demo of a Sony SXRD 70 inch TV that was being shown to best effect by playing a Sony demo 1080p Blu-ray disc that included various scenes from well known movies. Sony had not yet even begun selling its first Blu-ray playing device, the Playstation 3 (which hit the market the following month), so the store was using a prototype of the first standalone Sony Blu-ray player (that player was released that December) to show the Blu-ray of movie clips.

I bring all of this up Dave, because that first experience for me of seeing movie scenes on Blu-ray included a scene from Lawrence of Arabia played from that Sony demo disc. That really encouraged me about the then new 1080p Blu-ray format, because given the choice, I knew that Lawrence would be about the first film I'd want after getting Blu-ray playing capability. But as you, and all of our fellow HTF members, well know, Lawrence of Arabia was not actually to become released on Blu-ray disc until 6 years after I saw that scene from the film off that demo BD. I sure hope that film fans who love LOA won't be in for a comparably long wait for an UHD BD release of that classic epic.

During a couple of my recent visits to stores to see what UHD BD movie releases they carry, when noticing the heavy concentration on very recent movies, as well as seeing a couple sequels or part 2s, where I'd never even heard of the original flicks, I could feel my hopes eroding concerning the chances of ever seeing films like My Fair Lady, Spartacus, The Wild Bunch, or Ben-Hur being given UHD BD releases. Although, unfortunately, I have little doubt that the crappy 2016 version of Ben-Hur will show up on the UHD BD racks, because it's probably the only version that most people under age 30 are familiar with.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
But Dave, if it was a choice of the Iron Man Trilogy or Lawrence of Arabia being released on UHD BD, would you not agree that Lawrence would be more worthwhile to have on UHD BD, because its PQ (aside from it being a terrific film) would be more of a stunner?

During a couple of my recent visits to stores to see what UHD BD movie releases they carry, when noticing the heavy concentration on very recent movies, as well as seeing a couple sequels or part 2s, where I'd never even heard of the original flicks, I could feel my hopes eroding concerning the chances of ever seeing films like My Fair Lady, Spartacus, The Wild Bunch, or Ben-Hur being given UHD BD releases. Although, unfortunately, I have little doubt that the crappy 2016 version of Ben-Hur will show up on the UHD BD racks, because it's probably the only version that most people under age 30 are familiar with.

If it was a choice between Iron Man Trilogy and Lawrence Of Arabia on UHD BD there would be no contest, I would have to go with Lawrence Of Arabia on UHD BD! I am looking at the Iron Man Trilogy on UHD BD because I actually do not have it on 1080p BD and it is something I want to add and being on UHD BD is a plus.

I noticed as well that the majority of the UHD offerings are newer movies but I am sure this will start to change. I was reading somewhere that the encryption was hacked on the UHD discs so this may or may not effect new releases moving forward. The oldest titles right now seem to be Ghostbusters 1 (1984), Bourne Identity (2002), Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone (2001), Independence Day (1996), Labyrinth (1986) and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000).

These titles are coming soon and or listed to come out but have no actual release date as of yet. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), Close Encounters (1977), The Fifth Element (1997), Unforgiven (1992), Star Trek 2: Wrath Of Khan (1982 No Release Date), Heat (1995, No Release Date) and Groundhog Day (1993 No Release Date).

While there are some semi older movies coming out I realize the titles are not going back to the older classics many of us want to see. My Fair Lady was scanned in 8K and to my knowledge they saved the 8K file and created a 4K file that was saved and this was done for the recent restoration so it is not like they would have to do a restoration of the film to put it out on 4K UHD BD. I am sure the studios are looking at titles at a case by case basis and looking at 4K UHD BD sales when making there decisions. Maybe part of there hesitation is the implementation of Dolby Vision in UHD TV's and UHD BD players, but this is just speculation. I am willing to bet that the older classics done in technicolor will shine on 4K UHD BD if done in Dolby Vision.

I to want to see 4K UHD BD releases of the following titles:

Star Wars (Original Theatrical Release 1977)
Lawrence Of Arabia (1962)
Sound Of Music (1965)
My Fair Lady (1964)
Spartacus (1960)
Patton (1970)
American Graffiti (1973)
The King And I (1956)
Alien (1979)
Platoon (1986)
Planet Of The Apes (1968)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

I would also purchase titles like The Innocents, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and The Seven Year Itch on 4K UHD!

IMG_8721a.jpg

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8604a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks