What's new

What Series are you most glad you have on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I have to say Richard Benjamin's Quark. For years, I looked for it in Previews Magazine, and finally, finally it came out. The show is so schmaltzy, but not as far gone as today's sci-fi comedies have gone (I won't mention names). Loved the them opening visuals, loved Perry Botkin Jr's theme song. It's silly, but I'm so glad it came out.

--jthree

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Perry Mason & Ironside, I watch over and over.....several others I rotate in and out...currently finishing up Marcus Welby & Medical Center .... likely to restart Emergency & Adam-12 next.....also about time to restart "Prisoner, Cell Block H"
Do you have Ironside seasons 5-8? I've been looking for Region 2/4 copies but can't find any (even used). I did find a season 6 once but it was overpriced.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I got Homeland S1 $ S2 on Blu new for a few dollars a season. I enjoyed them, so I have just ordered S3 from Ebay used for $7 total. From what I could see, I believe the later seasons will cost proportionally more, we'll see.
I found an S4 Blu-ray at a reasonable price and have watched the remaining seasons on Showtime courtesy of their Black Friday streaming offer. This has to be one of the best TV series of all time with consistent quality to the very end.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Do you have Ironside seasons 5-8? I've been looking for Region 2/4 copies but can't find any (even used). I did find a season 6 once but it was overpriced.
I had about 13 season 5 and 6 episodes from MeTV on a Tivo that recently died. I wish they would air it again.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I enjoy my Frasier complete series. Now if it would ever get a release similar to Friends on BluRay, I’d be ecstatic (I have posted in other threads here that I think the video on the DVDs is pretty lousy- often blurry and under-colored).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I have two seasons of "Falcon Crest" the only available
Two seasons of "The Colbys" the only available
Five available of "Peyton Place" the only available

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
the only tv series i have on DVD is simpsons season 2. all in the glorious 4:3 aspect ratio
In that season, there’s arguably one of the best episodes in the whole series- Itchy, Scratchy and Marge. A classic.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Two seasons of "The Colbys" the only available

In that case, believe it or not, you have all of it, because that's how long that O-R Dynasty spinoff ran on ABC (Thursdays for the entire run, I believe, from 1985-87).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
In that case, believe it or not, you have all of it, because that's how long that O-R Dynasty spinoff ran on ABC (Thursdays for the entire run, I believe, from 1985-87).
Yup. Fallon being picked up by a UFO was the (unintended) series finale.

I gotta admit, the effects were pretty damned good for the era. Especially for a "drama" series rather than a genre show.

EDIT: the sound effects from The Invaders saucer was greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
My area first got tv land in 1998. At that point, it mostly was a steady diet of Dragnet, Adam-12, & Gunsmoke. Didn’t matter though because I loved watching these shows. Then the channel dropped older programs & I was stuck. In 2010 I started buying dvds. First it was all the shows I remembered from the 70’s. Then I discovered 60’s programming and was hooked. Most of those were blind buys but no regrets at all.

Naked City
The Fugitive
Adam-12
Hawaii 5-O
Medical Center
Six million dollar man
Kojak
Miami Vice

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The series I'm most glad to own on DVD is Prisoner: Cell Block H--all 692 episodes!! For those who never heard of Prisoner, it was an Australian soap opera set in a women's prison that ran from 1979 to 1986, and had a brief run in the States in the early '80s, but I don't think it has ever been shown in reruns here since. It's available on free streaming sites in Australia, but not in the USA that I'm aware of. That's why I'm most grateful to own it so I can watch it whenever I want. I had to import them from an Australian DVD store online. The DVDs are PAL but region-free, and I have a player that plays PAL or NTSC.

IMG_20220309_175152.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The series I'm most glad to own on DVD is Prisoner: Cell Block H--all 692 episodes!! For those who never heard of Prisoner, it was an Australian soap opera set in a women's prison that ran from 1979 to 1986, and had a brief run in the States in the early '80s, but I don't think it has ever been shown in reruns here since. It's available on free streaming sites in Australia, but not in the USA that I'm aware of. That's why I'm most grateful to own it so I can watch it whenever I want. I had to import them from an Australian DVD store online. The DVDs are PAL but region-free, and I have a player that plays PAL or NTSC.

View attachment 130663

It's on YouTube here in America (thought you might want to know):

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My favorites in no particular order...

Curb Your Enthusiasm (Still need the last few seasons)
The Dean Martin Roasts (Absolute comedy and historical gold)
The Larry Sanders Show (Rip Torn and Jeffrey Tambor were the real stars as far as I'm concerned)
ArliSS (A great, occasional trip down Sports memory lane)

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
The Real Ghostbusters. I have the long out of print Time Life box set and I would say it's the least replaceable item in my film/TV collection:

I also have the German Turbine release for the first two seasons (which is where all the good stuff is!) and although the content is presented in much better quality than the Time Life it doesn't have the cool fire station box.

Someone mentioned Frasier and that's definitely a show I wouldn't want to be without.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks