What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What Series are you most glad you have on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Those I'm really most thankful for are:
Dobie Gillis
Thriller
Peter Gunn
Johnny Staccato
Mr. Lucky
My Little Margie (only Season 1, sadly)
The Real McCoys
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Loretta Young Show
Our Miss Brooks
It's About Time
(Wishing for more late 50's & early 60's stuff someday)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Is it just me, or does 60s TV just tend to look amazing on blu ray? The Dick Van Dyke Show, Star Trek, Batman and Ultra Q/Ultraman would be among some of my answers.

I also appreciate Shout going above and beyond to try to get all of the episodes of MST3K out on DVD, especially given how much of a legal hellhole some of the movies were in. (Puma Man, anyone?) I maintain hope that the handful of holdouts will be released someday as rights change hands. It's my favorite show, so that's probably my number one answer.
It's my theory that it isn't so much that they look so good, but much more that you're used to seeing them look like dogmeat. Also, it has a lot to do with what you're comparing it to. For example, today's shows frequently forget to pay the light bills and we know how brightly they lit many sets of the sixties. Also, especially for seeing shows in the daytime with full lighting in the house, BD often does darkness VERY poorly and so that sticks in your mind that with shows that have no lighting, suffer. There's probably more factors involved, but I think that's pretty valid, because it's basically something that may influence you a lot, but it's quite subliminal over time.

In my own case, assuming a modern show catches my eye, (as Braindead did) I will probably have to recon it through net posted screencaps, and if I see a very high ratio of dark frames, I'm not interested. Basically, I would prefer a 60's series with only very good 520p than a modern dark show with 1080p. The newer SD releases of Leave it to Beaver are a perfect example of this. It's very well lit, and looks exceptional for 520p (or whatever the dvd resolution is), and I would prefer that over a lot of these dark shows. Of course, modern shows often have a higher garbage rate as well, but I'm just considering picture here.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I've sampled many of the TV series mentioned here and still have some waiting to be watched but I've watched the whole series of The Fugitive twice within the last five years, once from Netflix DVD then I bought the set last summer.
The video & audio quality of the CBS/Paramount DVDs is superb, I just wish they all had closed captions.
I'm currently enjoying The Invaders from Netflix DVD.
I have several sets of Danger Man (Secret Agent Man) but I know those A&E DVDs don't have the best transfers (lots of sparkles etc), someday I'll have to check them out in HD.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I think shows in the late 60's were embracing now being in color so they're very vibrant. That look is basically unique to that era because prior to and after that time, there was no need to 'show off' that the show was in color.
You ever notice the rather high ratio of redheads in movies and tv of the period? I think it was for that reason, to put more color into it. Yes, I was looking at my SD I Dream of Jeannie set this week, and the colors are just ridiculous at times, to say little of the ridiculous mod designs on some of the dresses.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've sampled many of the TV series mentioned here and still have some waiting to be watched but I've watched the whole series of The Fugitive twice within the last five years, once from Netflix DVD then I bought the set last summer.
The video & audio quality of the CBS/Paramount DVDs is superb, I just wish they all had closed captions.
I'm currently enjoying The Invaders from Netflix DVD.
I have several sets of Danger Man (Secret Agent Man) but I know those A&E DVDs don't have the best transfers (lots of sparkles etc), someday I'll have to check them out in HD.
All we have of Danger Man right now is on DVD. I don't know if the Network sets are any better than what we have i the states, but the Timeless transfers look okay. The sound on some episodes is awful and the A&E release is superior there. Is it being aired in HD somewhere?

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
All we have of Danger Man right now is on DVD. I don't know if the Network sets are any better than what we have i the states, but the Timeless transfers look okay. The sound on some episodes is awful and the A&E release is superior there. Is it being aired in HD somewhere?

In HD at:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I think shows in the late 60's were embracing now being in color so they're very vibrant. That look is basically unique to that era because prior to and after that time, there was no need to 'show off' that the show was in color.
That is 100% correct. Had to prove to all those "suits" who financed shows and the people who purchased that new, expensive, color set that the money spent was worth it. Add to it that the late 60s were very colorful years (clothing, posters, just about everything) even outside of TV.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is it just me, or does 60s TV just tend to look amazing on blu ray? The Dick Van Dyke Show, Star Trek, Batman and Ultra Q/Ultraman would be among some of my answers.
You can thank 60s TV being produced on 35mm film for that - even the "cheap" shows mostly used 35mm. By the late 70s many shows were being produced on video tape, especially sitcoms, as it's considerably less expensive. While video tape *can* look very good (especially if it's 1" tape) it's never going to look as good as something produced on 35mm film due to the limitations of the medium.

Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram

The A&E DVDs look better than the supposed HD versions streaming at IMDb. IMDb has closed captions and all three seasons. I only have seasons 1&2 on DVD therefore I may check out S3 at IMDb later.

Last edited:

Kiev7385

Grip
Real Name
Stephen
Perry Mason & Ironside, I watch over and over.....several others I rotate in and out...currently finishing up Marcus Welby & Medical Center .... likely to restart Emergency & Adam-12 next.....also about time to restart "Prisoner, Cell Block H"

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Perry Mason & Ironside, I watch over and over.....several others I rotate in and out...currently finishing up Marcus Welby & Medical Center .... likely to restart Emergency & Adam-12 next.....also about time to restart "Prisoner, Cell Block H"
You need to watch the Raymond Burr version of the original Godzilla, thus completing the Burr circle. And yes, Burr plays comedian Steve Martin in that movie; a little known fact.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The A&E DVDs look better than the supposed HD versions streaming at IMDb. IMDb has closed captions and all three seasons. I only have seasons 1&2 on DVD therefore I may check out S3 at IMDb later.
I'd previously viewed using the LG IMDb app on my OLED TV. I tried my Fire Stick Lite on my Samsung LED TV (VA panel) and S4E1 Koroshi looked good from IMDb. A frame rate change message flashed on the screen, so Koroshi may be PAL.
I rechecked S1E1 on my Samsung from Tubi and it does look better than IMDb, about the same quality as DVD but definitely a different source, welcome to the wacky world of streaming.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
I have Hundreds, but here are a few favorites:
Rockford Files
X Files
Silk Stalkings
Newhart
West Wing
The Fugitive
The Mentalist
Gilmore Girls
The Man From UNCLE
The Wonder Years (really only like the first couple seasons)
WKRP in Cincinnati

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks