What's new

What receiver would you recommend for Monitors? (1 Viewer)

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to buy a set of Paradigm speakers at the end of the month. I'm looking at the Monitor 5's with the CC-370 and ADP-370 dipolar surrounds. Here take a look (minus the sub) Link Removed
I'm wondering what receiver I should buy to power them? Am I going to need an amp too for best results? My room is about 12x13, so loudness isn't really what I'm after, just quality. I just want the standard package; DD, DTS, PL2...
I really appreciate any suggests you guys can give me!

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I am in the middle of paying for a set of Moniter 5's, CC-370, and Titan's (all v2) and they are powered by a Kenwood 509. It's good, and if your not going to have it too loud then it should be fine, but I'm also interested in how it would sound with a powered amp...

Joe Greca

Stunt Coordinator
Is there an audible difference in choosing a $1000 receiver over, say, a $400 one? I want to get the best sound I can without useless spending...

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Joe- i'm looking to purchase something almost exactly like that...u mind if i asked how much your dealer is charging?
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I just set up a system for a friend who got the bug for HT after a demo at my home. He also bought Paradigms.... Monitor 7, cc350, adp 350. They were last years models but got a great deal. He is pushing these with a Yamaha RXV1000 and is just estatic..... He has friends over a lot and parties often and has got several more persons into HT recently. We did hook up his rear center by using his old receiver as an amp. He is especially fond of 6 channel stereo dsp and those Paradigms are super.... Has me considering changing out my system speakers too.
I know that the Yam 1000 is nothing special but it does push the Paras very well with great imaging and power. I think he paid about 650 US online for it. He bought Yamaha due to my recommendations as I have had several and currently have a RXV1.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Joe, I, more or less, have the same speakers that you are looking into purchasing - Monitor 9 mains, PW-2200 subwoofer, CC-350 center, ADP-170 surrounds and Atoms surround back. For the "best bang for the buck", I chose the Denon AVR-3802, hence the 7.1 array. It has everything that you were looking for DD, DTS, DPL2 and the some...

Martice

Screenwriter
"Is there an audible difference in choosing a $1000 receiver over, say, a $400 one? I want to get the best sound I can without useless spending..."
Hi Joe. Regarding how much of an audible difference between a $500.00 receiver and one costing $1,000.00 is dependent on your speakers, your source, room and listening habits. I couldn't honestly tell you one reciever sounded better than the other and justifiably back it up. However, I could tell you that if you had the Outlaw 1050 receiver in a rooom that had minimal acoustic problems as well as a good source player, it is not hard to imagine it giving a $1,000.00 receiver a run for the money in the detail, air and warmth dept. when the $1,000.00 receiver is in a room that had multiple acoustic problems while using an inferior device as a source playback. Only in the headroom dept(Power) will I give the $1,000.00 reciever the nod if we can assume that it atleast doubled the Outlaws 65 watts per channel.
In short, this game is all about synergy. I've heard hometheater systems that cost much less than mine that were setup and calibrated properly that showed that I still had some adjustments to make to my system and room corrections before I could hear the obvious audible differences that I paid for.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks