What's new

Advice on Integrated Receiver (1 Viewer)

depth10

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I currently have two Monitor Audio Silver 300s. I have a Cambridge Audio CAX81 (80w/ch). After reading the reviews, the speakers sound a bit underwhelming. I have a Rega P6 turntable hooked up for most of the audio content. In looking at the Max Wattage for the speakers I realize perhaps the amplifier isn't letting them breathe enough?

The speakers are rated at 200w max with recommended 80-200w RMS. Am I way off base in thinking I'm underpowering these?

What integrated receiver would you recommend to really drive these? Budget under $5k

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're anticipating some kind of wondrous transformation of your speakers, that's not likely to happen. Those speakers aren't especially difficult to drive.

What is underwhelming about the speakers? It could be something else, like their placement, or you could be expecting more than they will deliver. However, Monitor Audio does make good speakers. You might want a good subwoofer.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Adding a bit to John’s post – those Monitor speakers have probably a better-than-average sensitivity rating of 90 dB, which is important relative to amplifier power. If they had a sensitivity say, in the 85 dB range, then more power would very likely make a difference. But I agree with John, your current AVR should be able to drive them just fine.

Keep in mind, if you do decide to upgrade to more amplifier power, the rule of thumb is that you have to double the power to get an appreciable difference. Going from 80 watts to say, 100 watts isn’t going to amount to any noticeable improvement.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks