What's new

What Patriotic films are available on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Last night I was watching E. News, they were describing the effect tuesdays attack has had on the entertainment industry. Madonna has donated all procedes from a concert in L.A. to the victims, and all subsequent concerts. Broadway shows are ending with the singing of "God Bless America", and some lines are being changed to be more patriotic. The Emmy's are being re-wrttten to reflect more patriotism. It reminded me of the Hollywood war effort in the 40's, with actors and actresses selling Bonds, and studios putting out patriotic films by the score.
What patriotic films of the 40's are available on DVD? I think they would provide a great patriotic boost for me.
Todd

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Todd, GUADACANAL DIARY comes to mind and I think it's just out on DVD. It was made during WW2. 1954's THE BRIDGES AT TOKO-RI, with William Holden, Grace Kelly, Fredric March, and ickey Rooney is an excellent Korean War film. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There are about a zillion "patriotic" films around on DVD. Not necessarily all made in the 40's, but perhaps about the World War II effort. Some that come to mind - that are on DVD, whether or not I own them - are: In Harm's Way, Midway, Patton, Saving Private Ryan, Sands of Iwo Jima, and The Longest Day.
Also think about Independence Day.
Maybe NOW Warner will think about releasing Yankee Doodle Dandy!!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'd advise against watching war films altogether (and if you must watch them, try to avoid anything with John Wayne winning everything single-handed; you have no idea how much that film about Burma annoyed Brits, New Zealanders and Australians). Try something like Apollo 13 or (and I'm entirely serious) the final section of Fantasia 2000 - both are great illustrations of how, no matter how bleak things may seem, there is always hope.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I was going to start a related thread..but will continue here.
I was thinking about this..and of course there are war movies...including The Patriot and Braveheart..but I think watching films that show the spirit of America and what we all accomplish..together or alone against all odds. My suggestions are:
Norma Rae
Simon Birch
A Home Of Our Own
Avoid The Siege...hollywood making the US look bad.
Any other suggestions?
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic

Phil Morris

Auditioning
How about 'The Shawshank Redemption'? Okay, so it's not particularly patriotic but it is a wonderfully moving story about hope against all the odds and that most important of things, friendship.
Curiously enough I was watching this film (for about the 12th time!) when my father phoned me to ask if I had been watching the news. Of course I *wasn't* as I was watching the film, but he wasn't to know that and I wasn't to know there had been any news bulletins. Guess what was on the news? Here's a hint - it was September the 11th, 4pm Greenwich Mean Time .......
Phil

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One film in particular on DVD stands out for me...
The Right Stuff - one of the great films of the 80s; and a film that demonstrates the 'can do' spirit of America.
I'd like to make one other recommendation ( even though it is only available on VHS & LD ) - James Cagney's Yankee Doodle Dandy.
- Walter.
[Edited last by Walter Kittel on September 15, 2001 at 02:38 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If you want a movie that celebrates our constitution and how hard it is to be a patriot and fight enemies to it, both foreign and domestic, then check out Seven Days In May.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I also recommend Patton. How could one go wrong with that choice?
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks