What's new

What is the deal about Shrek and toilet humor in general? (1 Viewer)

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't like Shrek 1 because it was boring and not funny to me. Thought the "humor" was aimed towards guys. Nice to see some of you didn't get it either.

And I am so sick of the Shrek merchandising, especially in the grocery store, I could scream! Please make it stop!

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
I'm not offended by the toilet humor in the Shrek films, but all the pop references make me insane.

The films are so hell bent on proving how modern and hip they are, that they instantly date themselves. Ten years from now, people will have to think for a moment to get the various references.

"Huh? Oh, I get it."

And most kids will probably need said jokes explained.

"When Fiona jumps in the air, and the camera moves, that's a parody of The Matrix. See at the time, that moving camera thing was pretty new."

But what I really despise about the pop culture jokes, is that they're all about things I've been bombarded with for the last couple of years.

Yes, I get the joke, but since I've heard it nine hundred times already, I DON'T THINK IT'S FUNNY ANYMORE!!!
furious.gif

The absolute worst example of this is the end of Shrek 2, where all the characters are singing along to that shitty Ricky Martin song Livin' La Vida Loca. I only went to see Shrek 2 cause my GF wanted to see it. I managed to get through most of it being only mildly annoyed. But after that end, I was actively pissed off.

And what's this on the DVD? Far Far Away Idol. Sweet jesus, that's so amazingly original I bet Charlie Kaufman wrote it.
rolleyes.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
quote:But what I really despise about the pop culture jokes, is that they're all about things I've been bombarded with for the last couple of years.

Yes, I get the joke, but since I've heard it nine hundred times already, I DON'T THINK IT'S FUNNY ANYMORE!!!
Yeah, I like pop culture references much more than you do, but I agree that some are SO OLD the references themselves deserve to be parodied at this point.

Case in point: Team America. I cannot believe that in 2004, someone still think it's funny to parody the Matrix.

The Matrix thing is Shrek didn't bother me one bit because it was still new in 2001.

--

H

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I thought Shrek was ok when I saw it. Only saw it once and never really had any interest in re-visiting it. Never saw Shrek 2, but will eventually.

I think there is way worse. I absolutely hate some of those obnoxious cartoons/teen shows on tv these days. The types where everyone is a total ignorant snob who just utter one ignorant line after the next. No respect for anyone. Treating parents & other peers like crap to dubbed laughter. If I had kids that talked to me like that, their bags would be sailing down the driveway along with their ass.

I personally dont care for too much toilet humor myself. I actually have laughed at some of it. It just depends on what it is. I cant watch movies like Seed of Chucky (full of toilet humor to the extreme) and the shun those who like Shrek. It wouldnt be fair.

If people want to fart, etc. Whatever floats your boat. Just please stay away from me when doing so. ;)

Kids to me are absolutely obnoxious these days (not all of course, but a great majority) and utter lines from movies and tv shows so much that it drives me crazy. But, whatever. At least I dont have to live with them. Thank god. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

P.S. I agree. All these pop culture references do become annoying and will seem very dated eventually. Some do already.

Like others have said, Animation does not generally mean kids only.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:Case in point: Team America. I cannot believe that in 2004, someone still think it's funny to parody the Matrix.

At this point, a parody of The Matrix could be regarded as a parody of a parody - in other words, it's been parodied so much that this could be mocking all the rip-offs!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've enjoyed both Shrek films, the 2nd one probably more than the first, but I did have reservations. I don't mind toliet humor in moderation, and if it's actually funny, but too much is frustrating. I think the first film treaded the line, and almost fell over the edge a couple of times, and then the second one toned it down. I can deal with it.

However, as others have suggested, the pop culture references are going to date the film pretty substantially in the years to come. I think there's still enough there, particularly in the 2nd film, that I'll still be able to enjoy it periodically. But it's true that neither film will be able to touch the timelessness of Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, or even Toy Story in about 10 years.

That said, I imagine I'll be tired of Shrek and Shrek 2 in a few years, but for now I'm going to enjoy them. I'm sure Pixar's films (which are indeed far superior in just about every way) will last longer, but I think there's room for both right now.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry but I thought Shrek 2 was absolutely hilarious, and not for any of the fart jokes. Funniest thing in the movie to me was the pepper grinders instead of pepper spray. That and Prince Charming sitting there with that ridiculous crown on his head.

"This comes with the Medieval Meal."

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was hoping to love Shrek and every review and ad led me to believe that I would. But when I saw it, I didn't like much at all about. The characters are fine as well as the story but it just didn't work for me. I thought most of the jokes were humorous at best. The only things that got a laugh out of me was the Gingerbread Man and a reference to Snow White.

I did like Shrek 2 a lot better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks