What's new

What is the deal about Shrek and toilet humor in general? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I feel like myself and a couple buddies are the only ones in the world who abhor Shrek. The one time I saw the first film on DVD I was disgusted by all the toilet humor used in the film. And what kills me nmore is that adults love these two films as well!

I am also revolted at the trend of this humor in what seems to be used in films today.

Can someone tell me why this is?

PS I dont mind that the Shrek filmakers are trying to parody fairy tales; but I do mind the vulgar humor geared at kids.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Toilet humor is funny because it deals with embarrassing things we all do, but like to pretend we don't. The inner child in most people never outgrows that. I sure as hell haven't :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You're a prude.

Oh, you mean "why all the toilet humor"? It's cheap laughs, not the most clever of punchlines by a long shot, but something that translates into almost any language and culture. I figure that, in a lot of ways, these sorts of jokes are like a guy being dropped by an anvil in a Roadrunner cartoon - it's not the anvil itself that's funny, but the set-up and reaction. Similarly, someone farting isn't terribly funny in and of itself, but you can attach an amusing reaction to it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I feel like myself and a couple buddies are the only ones in the world who abhor Shrek."

Add me to the list, Ive always thought the first one was overrated and have no interest in seeing the second.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I absolutely HATE the first Shrek. From that stupid song at the beginning, to the toilet humor, to the fact that I just felt the story didn't flow at all and that the movie just felt disjointed and not connected.

However, I liked the second Shrek much more because it actually seemed to have some heart and seemed to flow much better storywise. The toilet humor seemed toned down too, and it relied more on cultural and visual gags than just farting.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Thats what confuses me; Looney Tunes, Disney or better yet Pixar doesnt resort to cheap laughs. Other than a couple burps I dont recall them going south with the laughs.

I have no objection to raw or crude humor. In fact one of my favorite films last year was Bad Santa.

What I do have issues with is humor like this being geared at kids.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I agree 100%. For the record, I have not seen Shrek 2, so I cannot comment on it. However, I have seen the first Shrek twice, and I have a couple of problems with it. The first thirty minutes or so are nearly brilliant. I like the idea of turning classic fairly tales on their heads and twisting them around. I love seeing the gingerbread man getting tortured, for instance. However, eventually the movie becomes the very fairy tale that it was poking fun at! The last half of the film is surprisingly conventional and boring, IMHO. I realize I'm in the minority with my opinion but so be it.

The other problem I have with the film has to do with the bathroom humor and and pop culture references. Let's face it. It's not hard to get easy laughs when you're making fart jokes or making references to The Matrix. The reason that Pixar stands head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd is that for the most part the humor in their films is timeless. Okay...you could argue that Finding Nemo has a fart joke in it, but it's a pretty subtle one. Pixar also does a much better job in finding its voice talents, IMHO. I mean, c'mon....Cameron Diaz is a lousy person to pick as a voice for an animated feature. Ugh! Compare her efforts with Holly Hunter's work in The Incredibles or Ellen Degeneres's fine job with Finding Nemo.

These are just my personal opinions, of course. Your mileage may vary. :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, I'm gonna get shot for this, but I abhorr ANY type of animated feature length films. And yes, the use of toilet humor in movies that are so OBVIOUSLY aimed at children is unfortunate to say the least. As a kid, I always went to sleep everytime I tried to watch anything from Disney. From "Bambi" to "Fantasia," they always bored me to tears. The one exception is "Snow White." Any feature, whether it is from Pixar or Disney, if it's animated, I just can't stay awake through it........and believe me I tried. I even tried to watch "Shrek" when it was broadcast in HD during the summer, nope, instant nap time.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The idea of fart jokes being inappropriate for kids is laughable. Christ, what the heck is appropriate for kids nowadays?!

Few things approach the satisfaction of a good, loud fart when you're 8! The giggling that often ensues is priceless.

So... you think fart jokes, the very definitionof immaturity, are more appropriate for adults?!

--
H - Too much information?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The fact these films are insanely popular puts you Shrek bashers in a tiny minority. I'm pretty sure it's not just little kids that made Shrek 2 the most popular film of 2004. I loved both Shreks, the first more so, the toilet humour didn't bother me in the least, after all the protagonists are belching farting ogres, part of their appeal is to be disgusting, and kids love that shit. I'm sure there's plenty of alternative animated fare out there for the more sensitive among us like Thumbelina or maybe Lilo & Stitch?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

My point is that I grew up (Im 31) viewing Tv and films without many fart jokes. As I stated earlier in my post mentioning Looney Tunes and Pixar; I feel that theres plenty of entertainment for 8 year olds without this kind of humor. The occasional gas joke is fine (Im not a total prude) but I feel that the quantity in Shrek and the like nowadays is uncalled for.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

No offense Chuck but I thought Colins "thread fart" comment was funny.

PS I didnt think you were thread farting. Believe me as a HTF regular; Ive seen many and far worse.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Humor is vastly subjective. Embrace that nugget and go find something you can laugh with/at, and leave the farting to the rest of us.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

I understand Patrick; I guess Im just trying to understand why this humor is so popular. I guess (and accept) that I may never.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
{Comes out of a cave to make a post}

It is for this reason that movies like Shark Tale were able to claim $154M (so far).
That and the general public seems to not be able to get enough CG animated movies. Of course the same will probably be true for the Incredibles.

Long story short Shrek, Shark Tale, Ice Age, etc.. all cater to the lowest common denominator. Disney and Pixar are there for those who set their standards alittle higher than their buttocks.

That said, I agree Shrek 2 avoids the toilet humor better, but still suffers from an ad nauseum of pop culture reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks