What's new

What is a good 56k modem? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
All the computer parts are in the mail and I just remembered... I need a 56k modem for when I am at home! So, what is a good 56k modem? :D

KyleS

Screenwriter
Good and cheap just get a Diamond Supramax I have never had a problem with them and they are pretty cheap. (for a win modem). You can get them at www.newegg.com or from Link Removed (both reliable companies)
KyleS

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Don't get a win modem. Why have your CPU doing what dedicated hardware can do?

Sure, win modems don't even begin to tax today's processors but if your playing a game online why waste clock cycles on a modem?

Someone will say, "what online game can you play with a 56k modem?" Well, you can't play many well but you can play lots.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Winmodems are lame. I'd rather have an external modem than a winmodem. For an internal modem, I've had good results with the US Robotics 5610 which provides a true hardware COM port that even DOS can use.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Winmodems use cpu power, but with the powerhouse computers people have nowadays, I doubt it matters at all for most people doing most things. Also, you can catch the Supramax on sale for five bucks after rebate at Best Buy at times.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I installed an intel 56k modem in my mum's computer a few months ago and it was a very easy install and seems to be a decent modem. It was priced well to.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The problem with winmodems is that they require a software driver. It seems every time Microsoft updates an operating system they change the way drivers work and the old winmodem drivers won't work anymore, and of course the manufacturer of the winmodem has either gone out of business or they sat on their butts throughout Microsoft's 5 year beta period instead of developing new drivers. That's why I say get a hardware modem with a tried and true COM port.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
This is odd..
I bought my Lucent WinModem when I was running W95 and now
that I am running WinXP it still works.. Granted the modem
sucks so much of my 1.8Ghz CPU that I can barely edit a text
document in notepad.. :rolleyes

Brad_V

Second Unit
Same here, Brett. I bought my Supramax for five bucks at Best Buy and it installed just fine with windows 98 and now windows 2000, but it sucks so much juice from my 933mhz Duron that I'm lucky I can type this message right now. :P
Seriously, though, if someone was going to spend some decent bucks on a winmodem, I'd say, "Hey, waitasecond...," but when you can get them on sale for five or ten bucks and they work just fine....

Jon Watry

Auditioning
I would recommend a hardware modem since it uses less CPU, memory and does not have that annoying pause that winmodems have when dialing. Me and a few other looser friends without broadband have this Actiontec hardware modem and it has worked great for us.
Warning I accept no responsibility if you choose to buy at Tiger Direct I'm only using them for the product description and pricing
If you want to go cheap get a winmodem that has a Lucent Chipset they seem to be the most trouble free among winmodems. Even when the company goes belly up you will still be able to use the generic lucent drivers, which are updated regularly.
This Actiontec is based on the lucent chipset and looks pretty good for the price
another Tiger direct link

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Well... I went down to Circuit City and bought a Diamond SupraMax 56k. (ooo... it's upgradable to v.92 :D ). It was cheap and I am only going to use it when I am away from college [mainly in the summer]
Thanks for your help! :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Oh... and what games can you run on a 56k modem anyways? My 56k modem choked playing Age of Empires ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks