What a difference a new Modem makes (for net games)!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, May 7, 2002.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

After going with DirectTV about 2 years ago I had to drop my cable modem and use my generic 56k winmodem. Though games like Diablo weren't that bad with it, it was absolutly terrible with any of the first person quake type games. With Return to Castle wolfenstein, I really really wanted to play multiplayer. I was even considering going back to the horrible service of the local cable provider (and the $70/month they charge if you don't have cable with them). Well, I decided to upgrade my generic winmodem with a good Hardware modem to see if it would help any. I picked up a 3Com/USR v.90 hardware modem off of Newegg for $38. Boy what a difference this new modem made!!! My ping times dropped 25-30% all the way around. Servers I used to not be able to play (because of constant interrupted connections) I can now play with ease. If anyone is still out there struggling with a crappy generic winmodem, dump it and get yourelf a good hardware modem!!!

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

$70 for a Cable modem!!! What Cable company do you have?? Can you get DSL in your area? DirecTV now offers DSL, maybe you could try that?

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow, I knew there was a difference between generic and a name brand like 3Com but didn't know how much. Thanks for the info.
    But you still need broadband!!! [​IMG]

4. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

I beleive the difference came more with the upgrade from a Winmodem to a hardware modem. The charge for cable modem is $45, but if you don't have cable they also charge you for basic cable, which is another $25. I told them to suck my arse... I wasn't going to pay that a month for broadband! Bellsouth just dropped a new remote terminal about 300 yards from my house. Hopefully it'll contain some DSL equipment! On a seperate note, I design the sealed cabinets that Bellsouth houses their equipment in. The cabinet they put 300 yards from my house is the first one I ever designed.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

That's extremely odd. The only measurable improvement you should see is a slight decrease in CPU useage. I'd bet the real difference is in the software or firmware.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

For games, Camp, the difference between a winmodem & a real modem is night & day. It may in /theory/ be a small difference, but in real terms, it seems to frequently make a real noticable difference in pingtime.

It certainly did for me a couple of years back when I stepped up a Pace modem instead of a cheap winmodem.

7. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Wow cool. FYI- I've got a spare New in Box external 3com/USRobotics 56K I was going to post up for sale this weekend in the hardware forum. You can email me if you want to save me the trouble of taking pics of it! [​IMG]

8. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Winmodems are notoriously bad to begin with. But I have an external 56k 3com/US Robotics modem and I hate it, because I had to go through hell just to find the most up to date driver. US Robotics tech support was terrible. And they offer software upgrades for their modem line but only for the most recent modems, so I'm left in the dust. Anyone know a decent 56k modem maker you might recommend?

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

James, I hate to say it, but 3com is the best modem you can get. Because its external, having the latest driver is somewhat of a moot point. The modems are so popular that Windows should have drivers for it already. If thats the case, then go ahead and use those cause those will probably be the latest ones. I don't know any hardware manufacterer that continues to update the drivers on a product past 1-2 years. The 56k 3coms have been out much longer than that and are still champs. Don't use their tech support, either. All of these companies have bad tech support so you're better of just relying on your ISP's free support. Anything else you may need can be found on the net.
    But yeah, winmodems are terrible. They are nothing more than a place to plug in the phone line. Some people don't mind them because all they do is surf. But, when you pair the high cpu usage of a winmodem with a cpu intenstive game, you're asking for trouble. In fact, when I was doing senior level tech support for a major ISP (no not AOL), we frequently told customers with winmodems to go out and purchase a hardware modem to fix a lot of their problems.