What's new

What HT in a box would you buy for $12 to $1500? (1 Viewer)

Brian Tomasko

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Tomasko
I'm looking around and figured this would be the BEST place to get information... I'm sure some of you guys actually own a packaged HT set or would suggest something within my budget...Throw in your goods and bads.....I don't need a Receiver just the 5 channels and a sub.......

TommyL

Supporting Actor
for the sub...SVS...great value, and AWESOME results...you won't be disappointed. Speakers...you could grab some jbl s26's from jandr.com....very good speakers for the price..so speakers= 400(4 speakers) 200 for center, and 800 for svs pc+ 25-31 = 1400...not a bad setup for 1400 bucks:)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
check out the threwad by mark russ below...a lot of people have these jbl's and are happy. The SVS is one I'd get FOR SURE...45 day trial too...check it out @

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

build in amp also...it IS a steal:)

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
I was shopping in this exact price range about 6 months ago. There are a lot of good options out there. Personally I chose Ascend Acoustics after reading things in several forums and am very happy (I have a fairly decent review of my setup online if you're interested). Some other options I considered in that price range are Aperion, Axiom, Paradigm, JBL, Norh, KEF, etc. I think any of these companies would be a good choice.

While I appreciate Tommy's suggestion (the SVS subs are very good) it seems a bit odd to spend more on the sub than on the 5 primary speakers combined.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
He did say Home theater..:) an SVS is a solid component...and you won't need to upgrade it...speakers on the other hand..ya know how that gets. The jbl's are no slouch, and tend to be a lot better than the price....they retail for more, and svs may be giving us a bit more for less..infact, *shhh* I KNOW they are.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would definitely give the Paradigm Monitor series. You could get a pair of Monitor 5 mains, Mini Monitor surrounds, and a CC-370 center for around $1000 - $1100 depending on how deeply your local Paradigm dealer will discount (mine giver 20% just for walking in the door). Monitor 3's as mains, or even Mini Monitors all around would still give great performance and bring the price down $100 - $200. SVS is a great way to go for a sub, but I would also give the Adire Rava a good look. At $400 it performs comparably to the SVS 25-31 PCi and would fit in your budget quite a bit better, and leave room for the new cabling you'll probably want to add to speakers in the price range you're considering.

Hope this helps :)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
good post stephen...heck, I'd grab those paradigms, and a SVS...then you WOULD be kickin.(may cost ya 100 bucks more, but worth it imo. you may be able to get a bstock svs for a bit less...keep checkin the website..

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'll second the Ascends. They just kill my Paradigm Mini-Monitors. Otherwise, Brad's list is well done. If you get either the Hsu or the SVS sub you can't go wrong.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Cheap, cheap, go with the JBL's people are posting about here. Want to step up a bit, DEF> go with the Ascends. Luvin mine.
SVS is my sub of choice in your budget, HSU as well. I luv my16-46pc+ (out of your price range tho, hell out of mine too, but got it used).

balzac

Agent
Well, if you want to buy seperates, I just listened to the JBL stuff recently and I'm definitely going to be buying it! What I've learned from here and listened to in person, my 5.1 setup will be:
Pioneer 1015 - $410
JBL E90's - $440/p
JBL E30's - $130/p
JBL EC35 - $165/one
Dayton 12"- $145/one
TOTAL======>$1290 SHIPPED

I haven't heard the E50's, but from what I've read here, I may jump from the E30 surrounds to the E50's. The E50's run an additional $80 for the pair, but the reviews are glowing.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Why are we resurrecting this thread after 2 1/2 years? I'd bet he's already bought his system, and maybe replaced it once or twice...;)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Necrophilia ain't cool balzac. Please check the last post date when you pull something up with the search function.

balzac

Agent
I don't understand why, but when I click on this forum, I'm getting old threads. I'll have to recheck my saved "favorite." Sorry for the Lazarus!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks