What's new

What happened to Universal's Ultimate Editions?? (1 Viewer)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I may have missed something but I haven't seen any news about any recent or upcoming new Ultimate Editions from Universal. I mean, Disney and Fox seem to be capitalizing on their Vista and 5 Star Collection names respectivley so I'm just wondering where all the Ultimate Editions are

thanks

DarrenA

Second Unit
I assume by late March or early April we will finally see the Mummy Returns: Ultimate Edition DVD to tie-in with the April 19th release of The Scorpion King.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I hope there is. If Universal is listening, Full Alan Smithee TV cut in 5.1 and anamorphic widescreen (redundant battle scenes removed please). Oh! And use the cover on the UK TV cut disc. I love that cover ;)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
An Ultimate Edition of 12 Monkeys has been rumoured in the past, and I've noticed that Dragonheart is in fairly short supply at several e-tailers and wonder whether this will get the Ultimate Edition treatment soon.
I think Universal may have realised that re-working recently released titles has annoyed many customers. Hopefully they'll return to some older titles that would really benefit from the treatment (such as The Thing, which would make me very happy :)).
Adam

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I was thinking the exact same thing about 12 Monkeys. I thought there was an official announcment too. I distinctly remember being really excited about it, but I haven't heard anything for months.

Lewis_W

Agent
Does anyone think that Universal will put out the Back to the Future DVD's in Ultimate Editions?

Lewis.

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Universal obviously has a hard time determining which titles deserve special treatment. I would be be happy if they revisited the following titles and just added the 16x9 enhancement... To Kill A Mockingbird , Field Of Dreams , Vertigo , and Psycho .

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
. I would be be happy if they revisited the following titles and just added the 16x9 enhancement...
Add The Thing to that list. Even though the transfer is very good, I am sure all of the 16x9 TV owners would really like to see this film with a nice new 16x9 transfer.
-Dean-

Britton

Screenwriter
Hmm, I figured Universal stopped doing UEs since everyone was making fun of them for the titles they did last year. Heh heh, Meet Joe Black: Ultimate Edition, heeheehee...

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is that they're waiting until they release 4 new versions of American Pie 2 as Ultimate Editions. Then you can collect them all and have 8 different copies of the movie sitting on your mantle.

I'm still waiting and waiting for them to bring out Legend here in the U.S. And as for BTTF, I've given up hope on that, 4 years since there annuouncement and nothing yet.
:frowning:

Craig_T

Second Unit
I think the DVD Consortium banned Universal's Ultimate Edition line after the inexplicable Patch Adams: Ultimate Edition.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
They really need to put a a Babe Ultimate Edition, in OAR.
Agreed, although I favour the Collector's Edition' banner more than I do the 'Ultimate Edition' one. I'm actually glad they continue to do Collector's Ed releases, they hit a down period with them but Cape Fear really returned to Universal CE days of old in my opinion. Babe has NEVER been an SE in any form, I have the widescreen DTS laserdisc, but the movie is crying out for a special edition.

Jaws really should be re-visited at some point (add the mono track, full length documentary...etc). And well, a heck of a lot of us want them to 'Ultimate Edition' The Frightners!

Dan (UK)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Amen to that...maybe Frightners will finaly get some attention with Peter Jackson's wide-spread popularity.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
I'm a little surprised we haven't seen anything about an Animal House UE since the CE went OOP some time ago. Maybe some day! Although, John Landis did not even know it was OOP (or so he indicated at the HTF chat), so they obviously haven't approached him about doing anything additional for a re-re-release.
Ditto for Babe, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks