What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Medicine Man (1992) starring Sean Connery. I'm not sure who owns the rights since it was theatrically released by the defunct Hollywood Pictures. Anyone know?

Hollywood Pictures was a Disney subsidiary, intended (like Touchstone) for more mature content. I suspect they shut it down because it was unnecessary to have two brands doing the same thing.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I guess the ones I'd really love would be: The Big Fisherman, Raintree County, Porgy and Bess, Esther and the King, Hercules (and Unchained), the REALLY "lost" Morrissey L'Amour plus the puzzling exclusion of such silent classics as Greed, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, The Wind, The Crowd, Hawk's never released Fazil, Curtiz's epic Moon of Israel and the recently beautifully restored Cabiria .

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I guess the ones I'd really love would be: The Big Fisherman, Raintree County, Porgy and Bess, Esther and the King, Hercules (and Unchained), the REALLY "lost" Morrissey L'Amour plus the puzzling exclusion of such silent classics as Greed, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, The Wind, The Crowd, Hawk's never released Fazil, Curtiz's epic Moon of Israel and the recently beautifully restored Cabiria .
You forgot to include The Story Of Ruth, a film we'd both love to have on Blu-ray disc. Another film I'm hoping for is The Miracle which seems to be mostly forgotten. I'd love this to come out via Warner Archive.

There are three Silvana Mangano movies I very much want in pristine high definition: Five Branded Women, The Sea Wall and Tempest.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
There are definitely some from back in the day that I'd love to see make the jump. For instance, I think Albert Pyun's DTV flick Brainsmasher... A Love Story with Andrew Dice Clay and the lovely Teri Hatcher would be perfect for their VSA series of remastered video store favorites, as would the late Anna Nicole Smith's Skyscraper, which for my money is far more entertaining than the Rock's same-named flick. I know a lot of this stuff is out on Tubi or Amazon Prime, but nothing beats being in those neat, numbered slipcovers.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wonder... when will we ever get to see this...
Towering-Inferno-Remastered-LaserDisc-107185-N.jpg

...in 4K, HDR? Since the backdrop of the movie is mostly in the dark...​
This and The Poseidon Adventure- I’d be first in line.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Silly, I know to even suggest this one in 4K, but can I at least get a Blu in it's proper aspect ratio?

It now resides in "the mouse's house"....

The Pleasure Seekers (1964) - a frothy semi-musical remake of "Three Coins in the Fountain" Starring Ann-Margret, Carol Lynley, Pamela Tiffin, Anthony Franciosa, Brian Keith and in her last big-screen role Gene Tierney.

2018-07-21_23-31-28_533 (2018-10-19T20_40_31.603).jpeg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Silly, I know to even suggest this one in 4K, but can I at least get a Blu in it's proper aspect ratio?

It now resides in "the mouse's house"....

The Pleasure Seekers (1964) - a frothy semi-musical remake of "Three Coins in the Fountain" Starring Ann-Margret, Carol Lynley, Pamela Tiffin, Anthony Franciosa, Brian Keith and in her last big-screen role Gene Tierney.

View attachment 154209
I'd love to have that one on a really high quality Blu-ray disc. I do have the Spanish (legitimate) DVD from several years ago which is pretty good and will do until something better comes along.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Deadlier Than The Male is already out on Blu-ray disc.
Robin 9. My son has a Region B locked blu of Deadlier Than The Male and Amazon ran a beautiful transfer, but I am unable to see or track down a region free copy. I have the old not 16 x 9 dvd copy only. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Robin 9. My son has a Region B locked blu of Deadlier Than The Male and Amazon ran a beautiful transfer, but I am unable to see or track down a region free copy. I have the old not 16 x 9 dvd copy only. Any suggestions? Thanks!
break down and get a decent multi regional blu ray player...You'll NEVER regret it, I sure haven't!!
Never again be blocked because of a different region!! Get all that you want, without fear, it's a great feeling!!

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
"The Haunting of M" directed by Anna Thomas, with cinematography by Gregory Nava. This has never had any kind of release on home media. I believe it was shown at film festivals. Not sure if it had any kind of general release?

It was broadcast decades ago on an "arty" cable TV channel in NYC that lasted for about a year on Time Warner's service, and I managed to tape it. But I think that tape has long disintegrated or disappeared. It was available in a really haggard state on one of the online services (Vimeo?), but I'm not sure if it is still out there in any format whatsoever at the present time. I seem to recall that the original elements were lost?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm sure I once saw a Region A (Zone A) disc mentioned but as I had already bought the U.K. disc, I didn't investigate further. If there ever was a Zone A disc, it seems to be no longer available so the only thing I can suggest is to go multi-region and buy the U.K. Blu-ray disc.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Dark Waters is a good choice. I have the DVD that came out from Image last century (literally!). It's a Benedict Bogeaus production, and it seems like ownership of his catalog is all over the place.

YANG

Screenwriter
in the DVD age, 2 of my most frequently played WW2 theme "reference disc"

U571
00022.jpg

and The THIN RED LINE
09415.jpg

...though had their BluRay release sometime ago, the releases had been too long and desperately requires new remastering on both Sound and Visual field of presentation. the former gives our system a bass-extension stress test, while the latter gives a real test on the visual aspect if 4K with HDR10/DV treatment is given to bring out the best in picture fidelity on the green fields, as well as how the dawn and dusk is presented. not to forget, Artillery bombing on the enemy hill, and directional cross fires adds as testing elements to your speakers and subwoofer!​

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
I WOULD LIKE 4K UHD of:
BRAZIL-DIRECTORS CUT
ALL THAT JAZZ, LENNY and SWEET CHARITY
DAS BOOT-all versions
RYANS DAUGHTER
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
HIGH SOCIETY
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
THE SEARCHERS
CARMEN JONES
LOLA MONTES
THE LEOPARD
MAURICE
THE CONFORMIST
THE BUSBY BERKLEY COLLECTION DISC
STAR!
THE WHO'S TOMMY
THE CONVERSATION
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT SERIES with al appropriate aspect ratios...

and any BLU RAY of
SOUNDER
CABIN IN THE SKY
STORMY WEATHER
ST. LOUIS BLUES
HALLELUJAH
ADVISE and CONSENT
COME BACK, CHARLESTON BLUE
OKOGE
STONEWALL(NOT THE recent film but the independent 1980's film of the same name...)
NOAH'S ARC: JUMPING THE BROOM
PUNKS (independent Black Gy themed film)
GAY PURREE
STAVISKY
TOP HAT
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN
THE MUSIC LOVERS
THE DEVILS
THE TURNING POINT (ANNE BANCROFT and SHIRLEY MACLAINE)
STAR 80

ok. enough.

John Skoda

Second Unit
We finally have TCM in HD on our cable system, and they showed CHEYENNE AUTUMN lately. It was definitely an HD transfer, and it looks and sounds quite beautiful, although it was missing the roadshow extras (Overture, Intermission Music, and Exit Music). Would love to have this on disc to upgrade my old DVD.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Cheyenne Autumn has never received any respectful consideration on home video release. And for being a large format film by a legendary director, however flawed in certain aspects of storytelling and approach, it’s a real shame it can’t get a decent HD release. Per IMDb the editing after the premiere roadshow engagements took out 15 minutes of footage, which is believed entirely lost. At least the most complete version extant would be welcome.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Vittorio De Sica's 1973 A Brief Vacation, 1971's La poudre d'escampette (Touch And Go) directed by Philippe de Broca, 1978's Rape Of Love, directed by Yannick Bellon starring Nathalie Nell, 2002's Man On A Train, directed by Patrice Leconte with Jean Rochefort and Johnny Hallyday, 2004's Intimate Strangers, also directed by Leconte with his wife Sandra Bonnaire and 2003's Remember Me, My Love starring Monica Bellucci.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Another film has been resurrected in my mind recently, Jacques Deray’s BORSALINO (1970), which I really enjoyed at the time of its initial release. Definitely a “white telephone” period piece, and with big stars like Delon and Belmondo, it’s too bad and a as little surprising the only release to be had is a R2 Blu-ray I inquired about to a foreign seller on Amazon this week. I was told there’s unfortunately no option for English subtitles on the disc, which with my very limited French would be problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks