What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Not sure how much it would benefit from 4K due to the various edits it’s endured, but I would love an HD restoration of The Thief and the Cobbler (preferably Richard Williams’ original cut, I couldn’t care less about the butchered version that released on this end of the Atlantic), especially for that spectacular animation.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Is That Kind Of Woman more or less forgotten today? I'd certainly like to have a Blu-ray disc. Directed by Sidney Lumet, seen here . . .

That Kind Of Woman.JPG

. . . directing Sophia Loren, Tab Hunter, Barbara Nichols and Jack Warden, the film does not deserve to be forgotten, particularly as it has George Sanders playing the third side of a romantic triangle.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is That Kind Of Woman more or less forgotten today? I'd certainly like to have a Blu-ray disc. Directed by Sidney Lumet, seen here . . .

View attachment 138840

. . . directing Sophia Loren, Tab Hunter, Barbara Nichols and Jack Warden, the film does not deserve to be forgotten, particularly as it has George Sanders playing the third side of a romantic triangle.
I would buy this on Blu-ray. I haven't seen this movie in many years as it's never been released on home video here in the States.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

View attachment 138840

Thanks for bringing this one up. Not familiar with it. Baffling that a Lumet film goes unreleased. A shame that Sidney never won an Oscar- he directed some great ones.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders (Kim Novak)
Six Degrees of Separation
Zero Hour!
and not really forgotten but much desired:
The Abyss
I wouldn't necessary call The Abyss a 'forgotten film'. Long neglected and overdue for a proper Blu - yes. To that list, also belongs True Lies.

Forgotten films. Hmmm. Six Weeks, Porgy and Bess, The Enchanted Cottage, Beyond the Forest, Star!, Strangers When We Meet, Raintree County, Begotten, Let It Be, Song of the South, Figures in a Landscape, and, Sleuth.

I would also add, Kevin Brownlow's incredible documentary series: Hollywood - a Celebration of the American Silent Film to this list. A must see for anyone who loves movies, period!

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I was just looking through a book about movie awards, and noticed that in 1969, the runner up for Best Picture by the NY Film Critics Society was "Oh What a Lovely War", the first film directed by Richard Attenborough. Has this ever been released even on DVD in the US, much less Blu-ray ? I would love to see it ....I believe Paramount released the film theatrically in 1969. I wonder if they have the home video rights here
I have the 2006 Paramount DVD. I still have not watched it, so I can't comment on the transfer.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I can still remember a few scenes of a film that I saw at a local fleapit in the late(ish) fifties (I was 7-8 years old). The cinema was known as The Bug Hole, & a sorry cinema it was, a right dump, it was in the Portobello Road, West London. In the seventies it was completely refurbished & reborn as the trendy, Electric Cinema Club (I don't think they could pull it down as it's a listed building). Anyway, I often wondered what the film was, & after a bit of detective work, I worked out that it was, Cargo To Capetown (1950), a Columbia film. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, a DVD would do, but I probably never will.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I can still remember a few scenes of a film that I saw at a local fleapit in the late(ish) fifties (I was 7-8 years old). The cinema was known as The Bug Hole, & a sorry cinema it was, a right dump, it was in the Portobello Road, West London. In the seventies it was completely refurbished & reborn as the trendy, Electric Cinema Club (I don't think they could pull it down as it's a listed building). Anyway, I often wondered what the film was, & after a bit of detective work, I worked out that it was, Cargo To Capetown (1950), a Columbia film. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, a DVD would do, but I probably never will.
there seems to be a TCM connection, not sure if they ran this one or not?

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
there seems to be a TCM connection, not sure if they ran this one or not?
I've got a few like that and it was great to ferrel out the films from my childhood past, in those darkened theaters, so long ago. Thanks for the memories BB.

Kent K H

Second Unit
Has this one ever been released on disc? I got the poster because I love Pete Hawley's art, but have definitely never seen it. Anything with Elsa "Bride of Frankenstein" Lanchester can't be completely without merit.
Girls_of_pleasure_island.jpeg

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
The 1939 version of The Man in the Iron Mask. Directed by James Whale and starring Louis Hayward (in the dual roles), Joan Bennett, Joseph Shildkraut and Alan Hale. This was a favorite of my father and was released on a DVD by Hen’s Tooth.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've got a few like that and it was great to ferrel out the films from my childhood past, in those darkened theaters, so long ago. Thanks for the memories BB.
Yes, part of the magic of film is those films (or bits of them) that you can remember many years (60!) after you've seen them. There was a support feature from the fifties that I still remember after all these years (I can't remember the film it was supporting), it was about a robbery on a train. You have the robbery & it all goes very smoothly, & it all ends about 35 minutes in, but...that was just the robbers describing how the robbery would go, & then the real thing happens, & of course it all goes wrong. Over the years I always wondered what the film was, & then I discovered that it was The Flying Scot (1957), only 70 minutes long, & it was released on DVD in the UK, I bought it & enjoyed it just as much all these years later.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The 1939 version of The Man in the Iron Mask. Directed by James Whale and starring Louis Hayward (in the dual roles), Joan Bennett, Joseph Shildkraut and Alan Hale. This was a favorite of my father and was released on a DVD by Hen’s Tooth.
RIMINI a french outfit did all of the classic 30s remastered on to Blu ray. Man in the iron Mask, the Corrican Brothers, The Count of Monte Christo, Calliostro aka Black Magic - I bought them all and each one is fantastic, super clean, many levels over the Hens Tooth editions, I had those as well!!
You can get them via Amazon, the only thing is that the extras are all in french with no english subtitles, Marde!!
Amazon product

Amazon product

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean

View attachment 138840

Looks like some NYC location filming was involved...I'm always a sucker for that, a chance to see the old New York on film

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks